New
Find
Notify
Tools

caribou rifle selection
 Login/Join

<dirty ernie>
posted
I am going on my first Canadian caribou hunt in September. What caliber do you suggest. I have a 257 Weatherby, a 30-06 a-bolt, and a 338 win mag a-bolt. I would prefer to bring the 338 because it's brand new, but is it too much for the caribou?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as too much gun, but there is poor shot placement, and poor bullet choice.

In Alaska the 338 is often used for caribou, and I've yet to hear complaints about it being too much gun. If you like your 338, you shoot it well, and want to hunt with it, by all means do it!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I too agree there is no such thing as too much gun.

Use whichever one shoots the flattest. They will die just fine with a .243. For their size, they are not that tough.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I woud take the 257 Wby. With the 120gr Partition it's still travelling at 2700fps at 200yds. It will flatten a Caribou. Maybe take the 06 with 150gr bullets as a back up. The 06 would be my second choice.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
dirty ernie -- I would take the .257 Wby. I shoot one also, I think it is the perfect Caribou or Antelope chambering. I am going after Caribou and Wolf this fall in Alaska in Brown Bear country and will be packing a .358 STA but would rather be taking the .257 Wby. Good shooting. [Wink]

posted Hide Post
Take the .257Wby. and split your ammo between bags, so that if one bag gets lost, you'll still have ammo. My second choice would be the .30-06.

Your .338 is probably heavier than the other two rifles. If you do much walking, you'll appreciate the lighter load, especially on the way back to the boat.

George

[ 06-07-2002, 01:23: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Having hunted caribou, I've learned that you can kill them with a stick. They are not "hardened targets." Take whatever you shoot the best. By far, I saw guys with really "capable" guns making PATHETIC shots. Don't be a pathetic shot. Know where to hit them and then do it. Short of taking something stupid like a .22LR, you won't be undergunned by going with any of your choices. Again, go with what you shoot the best. Any of your choices are quite adequate.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I only lived in Alaska for a couple of years, but the main reason I saw hunters choosing the 338 and it's ilk were the constant companions of the caribou, the famous BBB, big brown bear. I don't know if that is still an issue, maybe not. I think that if you could get close enough a big stick would suffice for caribou.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I like the 257 Wby. With the 120gr Partition

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my caribou with a Remington Safari custom in 338 Win Mag. topped with a Schmidt& Bender 1 1/4x-4x and I used the 200 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips. They performed perfectly. I watched a hunting buddy shoot a caribou with his 300 win mag with 180 BT's 3 times at +/- 200yds before it fell. Not a slam on the 300, it was just a different caribou. I also shot mine at around 200yds. The three other guys in camp all had Leupold scopes of 3x-9x and 3.5x-10x on their rifles. They all told me before the hunt I needed more magnification. Just isn't so. I would suggest your 338. We flew over 2 grizzlies going in. The 338 sure feels better slung over your shoulder.

Doug M.

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
What ever gun you are comfortable with and shoot
the best.As stated above,caribou are not hard to
give up the ghost.But you could shoot one at your
maximum distance,what ever that is for you.
Personally I like the o6 and the 338.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote