New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes running calf elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is something I have never seen before.
I was sitting on my stand sometime just after day-break when I saw a cow elk running with a small calf being chased by five or six coyotes.
The coyotes were trying to "ham-string" the calf. THESE were COYOTES, not feral dogs or wolves!!
As the cow and calf passed, the coyotes saw me and ran off 180 degrees the other direction.
I picked out one and shot. I hit him in the anus severing his tail. it was about a hundred yards.
I was using a 270 WSM with a 150gr Woodleigh at 3100 fps. I was somewhat disturbed that this fine bullet didn't exit, but lodged in the coyotes skull (his eyeballs were dislodged) I didn't do a post-mortem to extract the bullet, but wondered why this bullet didn't totally penetrate just three feet of soft flesh, stearn to stem.
I have taken many coyotes, and always have a morbid exit wound.
Have any of you had experiance with the Woodleigh, smaller bullets?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Bullet behavior in flesh is one of the most unpredictable aspects of shooting. Without having performed a postmortem examination, autopsy as it were, how could you know? The bullet may well have hit bone early in the entry portion of it's terminal travels and because of deformation rapidly slowed and diminished it's penetration... much to the coyote's delight.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Maybe that yote had been eating wet newspaper?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote