Find
Notify
Tools

Salt lake city
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear Guy's

I have a few few day's to kill in the last week of October.

After some idea's of thinks to see and do while there.

Gun shop's, shooting range, etc

Not looking forward to the flight from Aussie though.

Thanks Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a Cabelas store there. A unique place to eat is Rodizio's, a Brazilian Grill.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heritage Arms is a few miles south at 7045 S State St # 9, Midvale, Utah.

Northwest of SLC is the Great Salt Lake where they run land speed races at Bonneville, Utah. But they're run the middle of September.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some ideas if you want to rent a car.

Drive 30 minutes North to Antelope Island. There you can see buffalo, antelope, and other wildlife including some of the largest Mule Deer bucks found anywhere. It costs about $15 to enter the State Park.

You can also drive up some of the Canyons, such as Big or Little Cottonwood, which are 10 minutes away with some nice hiking trails.

Rodizio grill is a good place to eat. Another is Tucanos, but it is in Provo (40 minutes South). A nice drive would be up American Fork Canyon on the Alpine Loop. It starts 30 or so minutes from Salt Lake and takes you up over the mountain and drops you back into Provo. The Freeway back to Salt Lake is easy to find.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antelope Island is a great recommendation!

If you are willing to drive 1.5 hours, you are welcome to come hunt with us. Most likely, we will be hunting something. Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drop me a PM if you would like some more specific details. It really depends on what you would like to do...

The LeeKay Center is a world class shooting facility less than 10 miles from the airport. Rifle to 300 yards, handgun, trap, skeet and archery all in one location. Open to the public.

There is also the Kennecot mine tour, the largest open pit mine in the world. Lots of pioneer history in the downtown area.

Previous suggestions for a mountain drive whether over Alpine loop, guardsmen pass or Tony Grove are all a good idea, as leaves will still be changing in early October (weather permitting.)

Plenty of world class flyfishing and rockclimbing within an hour of town as well.

More specific questions can lead to better answers Big Grin

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cameronaussie:
Dear Guy's

I have a few few day's to kill in the last week of October.

Make a run to Bear Lake; north to Logan and through Logan Canyon (exquisite that time of year), stop at Tony Grove Lake on the way up. There are some nice restaurants on the west side of the lake, you'll be glad you went.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to spend a little money, then you could also fish a world class Cutthroat Trout lake (Strawberry Reservior) about 1 1/2 hours from Salt Lake. Late Oct is perfect time to fish. I'd wager the cost to be around $150 for a half day, but probably takes more than one guy to get a guided boat. You could have success from shore with a cheap pole and $10 worth of jigs. Very nice scenery and easy to find.

Depending on how late in October, you can come along and help us pack out mule deer. haha The Utah General Season deer hunt occurs that week.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wendover nevada is 2 hrs west on I-80
if you fancy a go at the cards and dice

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple release and shoot pheasant farms ~$20/bird. Mirror lake highway holds lots of small lakes with small rainbow, but the mountain scenery is very nice. Good eats and good local beer as well. Park City is a good 1/2 day visit 30 mi from Salt Lake.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lee Kay Center

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Guy's

Thanks very much for the advise.

Great this is a good starting point.

Regards
Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a little north of SLC is Ogden UT.
There is the John Browning Museum. In the same building is an old car museum, and a train museum. It is well worth the trip to see them.

In SLC there is also a good gunstore downtown.
Cannot think of the name of it???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gallenson's Gun Shop? Is that it? I think it is downtown. I have visited one downtown
twice, the name escapes me. I usually navigate by land marks and not address's. Eeker

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gallenson's is a great store downtown. Lots of cool stuff.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote