New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New World Record Roosevelt Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What seems odd to me is referring to these animals as "world" records, as if Roosevelt Elk are found throughout the entire world, when in fact they are only in Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, and British Columbia. That's a tiny part of the world to be calling it a "world record." But that's just me.

As far as the muzzleloaders go, I don't agree with classifying inlines in the same category as traditional muzzleloaders. They are made to shoot farther and be more reliable, and that is not what muzzleloading seasons were originally about. Hunting with a muzzleloader used to be more challenging, now it's generally an easier hunt than the rifle hunts. What is the point of even having the special seasons?

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, Jim Shockey has been a guide himself for quite some time. If the elk was taken within the guidelines of fair chase, and I would be surprised if it wasn't, then I congradulate him.

As far as I'm concerned, he was smart enough to figure out a way to make a living at what he enjoys doing. Maybe all of the snivveling is because of a bad case of jealousy? Perhaps all of the winers are just upset because they are sitting in an office cubicle while Shockey is out hunting?
No one bitches when Joe Average kills a nice Kudu,Mule deer, or moose just because he was hunting under the guidance of a PH or outfitter. Why does someone who has found a way to make a living in the outdoors always catch so much flack when he/she accoplishes something? Geez, you could have done it too if you played your cards right and had your heart in it.

Congrats to anyone who has had a successful and/or enjoyable hunt as long as it was fair and ethical.

Regards - Gib

(this rant was not directed at the arguers of the inline debate. Both sides of that debate make valid points)

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never personally met Jim Shockey but have friends that know him well and they all say the exact same thing; he is a GREAT guy and an even better hunter. When I hear people whine about what kind of lifestyle and opportunities these guys have I have to laugh. I used to hunt from late Aug to early March and I guarantee you its not all its cracked up to be. We all make decisions on what we are going to do and where we are going to do it. Its so funny, we used to be jealous of the guys that got to go home and spend time with their families. What most people see is only the "glory" shots of a hunt, you dont see the brutal hard work that goes into things like this. You dont see the packhorses getting tangled up at 2:00am in a snowstorm, you dont see the wear and tear from lack of sleep and the many hours on the road between hunts. People dream up some sort of romanticism about guiding, outfitting or being able to make a living hunting but there is nothing romantic about any of the things listed above.

Congratulations on the fine bull and I would be willing to put money down that it was not an easy hunt, from what I understand Roosevelts are tough animals to hunt. I look forward to reading about more of his hunts.

Drummond

one of us
posted Hide Post
the inline design has been around since 1700's. I take an reliable inline, over a flintlock, or cap lock anyday.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote