New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where for Nilgai
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've decided that I'd like to go try for one of these. Anybody got any first hand experience or recommendations on exactly where to go. I know that I'll probably have to try in Texas, just don't know any particular outfitters. So, somebody give me some ideas.

Cheers

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking also. The King Ranch has the one hunt that is not high fenced and pretty much free ranging. They have a web site with prices and information. I hear they taste pretty good to. They look about the size of a cow elk to me. Let me know if you come across any other places. Big Grin

http://www.king-ranch.com/index_ie.htm

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
This came up on another board where there were a couple of suggestions, including the King Ranch.

Other recommendations were:

http://southtexasoutfitters.net/

Fausto Yturria/Yturria Ranch

http://www.mariposaranch.net/

I have not hunted any of these places, just passing along the information.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the King, and I can tell you that just getting close enough for a good shot is going to take work and a good bit of stalking. The are fun to hunt and great on the grill.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the King last February. If you consider a 150,000 ac pasture without high fence perimeter and just another 3 150,000 ac pastures connecting it will be "fair chase". A lot will depend on the guide you are "assigned". We saw probably 75 nilgai and of those 4-6 were probably shooters. I did not take a shot. If it were me this is the only place I would look in Texas for my nilgai hunt. We stalked probably five miles in sand dunes late in the day for one mature animal only to find him on the wrong side of a fence (leased to others). I may go back as the King is a great place just to visit and see the wide variety of game and vegatation. Take your snake boots! You will ride most of the time but you will have some long stalks if you are not dead lucky. Most of the mature animals we saw were right at dark thirty. It is very difficult to score them on the hoof. That can be a problem if you seek a trophy animal. Good hunting.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started chasing those things with my bow 10 years ago, and finally started taking my bow 4 years ago. Ive taken 4 since then. All were taken on the norias divsion of the king ranch. At the time there were several outfitters that had leased land from the King. The last time I went was whin nolser was testing there accubond bullet, that was not yet released. I thought that was neet. Anyway, The outfitter I was hunting with said it would be the last year that anyone would be able to opperate a outfitting type set up on the king. I belive the only way to hunt the king ranch,other than being a part a huge corperation that leases from them, is to go through the king ranch saddle shop out of kingsville texas. They do hunt on the norias division. But there is a big downside to that. For that hunt they meet you at the gate early in the morning and take you out in a high rack on top of a truck, or jeep. Once you spot your trophy you either take the shot or stalk close enough to get a shot. When and if you recover you nalgai ( they are tough!) They will help you take care of it and your off to the hotel or what ever else you have made arangements for. There is no meals, camp, or anything like it used to be. Your chances of getting a shot out there is pretty much 100%. It's incredible country, with game everywhere. Take a camera, and plenty of film. If you are looking to just take a nice one give them a call. If you are looking for the allround experience, look elswhere. There are a few places doing those hunts. You might also consider the YO ranch. I have not been there but know you can hunt them there. They do eat really good to buy the way. There is no better buger meat. I'd rate it with Axis, and Elk. Best of luck to ya!

Posts: 13 | Location: north of Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry burger meat, not buger

Posts: 13 | Location: north of Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote