THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    When in wolf country - keep this video in mind.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When in wolf country - keep this video in mind.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good clip. I hope our expanding population of feral hogs do not develop similar traits when food is scarce.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Exactly why I switched from nine round to 15 round mags in my Glock!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, North America need not feel inferior to Africa (or anywhere else), when it comes to aggressive and savage predators, especially when you consider not only wolves but also our bears (especially the polar and grizzly bears). Even mountain lions and coyotes take down people occasionally.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a wolf in North America. I hope to keep it that way.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen 2 in MN and 4 here in Idaho. They are as dangerous as hamsters compared to humans.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting case that I had not heard about before.

I see wolves several times a year one year I see 0ver 20 one year.

It is always wise to be aware of your surrounding.

Posts: 19601 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
When I lived in northern Alberta and Saskatchewan one of my great joys was going out hunting by myself in the bush. I'd make myself a comfortable camp wherever looked good, get my little fire going, and have dinner, then tuck myself into my sleeping bag (a light weight U.S. Army down mummy bag which I still have) and lay there listening before I fell asleep. Almost every night one could listen to the wolves passing along the day's news to each other.

They would often come to my camp and circle it, checking out what I was doing. But they kept their distance, and I kept mine. Never ever had a negative incident of any kind with them.

Perhaps if I had been hunting where the wolves developed too much familiarity with humans things would have been different, but I almost always hunted afoot in areas at least 100 miles from any density of human habitation.

To me wolves were no more of a threat than a steep rocky hillside, and they were glorious wild company enjoying their freedom.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's really nothing to be t afraid of when armed . Respect them if seasons open shoot them.

Posts: 19601 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
I've seen 2 in MN and 4 here in Idaho. They are as dangerous as hamsters compared to humans.

Really Navalook "Dangerous as Hamsters"
You are either out of your mind or trolling for a rise.
Hamsters don't kill pastures full of Sheep or cattle just for fun.

Completely wild wolves are one thing, re-introduced wolves are another entirely.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolence to the student's family and what a tragic way to lose a human life in vain. It's a reminder that animals are animals and without the ability to utilize tools for our protection. We relinquish our right to command the top of the food chain and become part of it.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

Really Navalook "Dangerous as Hamsters"
You are either out of your mind or trolling for a rise.
Hamsters don't kill pastures full of Sheep or cattle just for fun.

Completely wild wolves are one thing, re-introduced wolves are another entirely.

I didn't say wolves are like hamsters, period, full stop. Read it again. Then for example watch the news on right now about a 2 legged wolf attack in CA. 7 dead, more than a dozen injured, and all that will come out of it is more laws to control inanimate objects (guns). Nothing to fight the cause, let alone control it.

I know better than most and certainly better than Colorado folks, what wolves have done here in Idaho. I have seen first hand what they did to a pack of bear dogs, valuable animals that are not compensated for like sheep. I've seen wolf tracks as close as 3 miles from my house. I seem to see their tracks every day or every other day during hunting season, yet I'd take them as neighbors long before I'd live in Detroit or LA. Now that would be dangerous.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Don't say that, its a treat.

A few years ago a friend and I got bum rushed by three or more. We were canoeing a narrow creek and I think they miss took out heads moving thru the grass along side the creek for small game. Seeing them hunt us was a thrill, unfortunately I unloaded my rifle at them without creasing a hair.

Larry you've been up here more than once I gather and you know wolves are to be feared no more than rocky hillsides, cow moose in May, bears any time and rain while wearing a down jacket. Seeing wolves is something most don't get to and even fewer understand the gravity. I'd love to see them more often, maybe not while moose hunting.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
My condolence to the student's family and what a tragic way to lose a human life in vain. It's a reminder that animals are animals and without the ability to utilize tools for our protection. We relinquish our right to command the top of the food chain and become part of it.

My point for posting this video exactly. I going to carry protection when in wolf country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the U.P. I'am OK with the wolves I see and more often than I like , but fear the ones I don't.

Several years ago when wolves were on the engendered species list in Michigan, there was a wolf that would come within 50' of my house. I chased it off several times but it got to the point it wouldn't run away but hold its ground when I went out side to chase it away. I contacted the DNR even took photos of it they told me that there were no wolves in my area during the summer but it was winter range for them so it must be a very large coyote and I didn't know the difference. And the reason this coyote was coming around was because of my wife's dogs were in it's territory. I told the biologist and a field officer that I have seen many wolves in Canada and can tell the difference between a wolf and a coyote. But if it was a coyote it would have already been shot with the other 8-12 I shoot or snare around my house every year.

Finely after a month and getting in contact with the district supervisor I was issued a permit and 12 ga. popper shells to try to chase the wolf away. Poppers didn't work very good the wolf would just run 100 yards to the woods edge stop and look back. This went on for 6 months in January-Feduary there's a snaring season for coyotes and fox I always put snares around the house to catch coyotes coming to harass the deer I feed in the back yard all winter. A couple days after setting snares I accidentally caught a wolf 50 yards from the house I photographed and tagged the wolf with a Incidental Tag then took it to the DNR field office.

It was like a Chinese fire drill when I walked into the field office and said I had a Incidental Catch and it's a wolf. One officer wanted to arrest me and impound my truck the supervisor wanted to see pictures of the kill site and interview me about how the catch was made. After a 10 minute interview it was determined a accident and I was free to go and continue snaring coyotes and fox.

I haven't seen tracks or a wolf within 150 yard of my house since then.

We always keep a rifle by the front and back door and never go outside without at least a sidearm. The dogs are never allowed outside alone there is a 30'x40' area attached to the house with a 6' cyclone fence and lighted with 2- 1200 watt lights at night.

Posts: 427 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SSS!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree, humans are the most savage and aggressive of all predators on the planet and by orders of magnitude.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Don't say that, its a treat.

A few years ago a friend and I got bum rushed by three or more. We were canoeing a narrow creek and I think they miss took out heads moving thru the grass along side the creek for small game. Seeing them hunt us was a thrill, unfortunately I unloaded my rifle at them without creasing a hair.

Larry you've been up here more than once I gather and you know wolves are to be feared no more than rocky hillsides, cow moose in May, bears any time and rain while wearing a down jacket. Seeing wolves is something most don't get to and even fewer understand the gravity. I'd love to see them more often, maybe not while moose hunting.

I agree with you. My comment was more about the destruction they are causing in the lower 48.

The only wolves I have ever seen in the wild were in China. We had stopped for a bathroom break in the middle of a LONG drive. I was standing there, looked up and saw what I first thought was a dog. Then I realized it was a wolf. He wasn't 50 feet away and could have cared less that I was there. We saw several that trip. We found argali killed by wolves.

I am headed to the NWT in late August. I might break my streak of buying licenses for nothing.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I saw one in Montana years ago. It was right at daylight in heavy timber. I opened the door and steped out. To my surprise a BIG black Wolf with yellow eyes stepped out 20 yards in front of me. He looked at me,showed his teeth and burnt a hole right through me!!! I leaped into the truck and slammed the door. He walked across the single lane dirt road and into the timber. Tame Wolves my a$$.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have had several cases of wolves attacking humans in Alaska. About 15 years ago a wolf bit and was trying to drag into the brush a child at a remote village. Some of the villagers ran toward the wolf and scared it away. The child survived the attack with a great number of stitches.

Maybe three summers ago a lady on a road near Fairbanks got chased and bitten by a wolf. She fought the wolf, and survived the attack with several bites to her legs.

Then last summer a young lady at another remote village got ran down by wolves and killed. She was a teacher, I believe, and was jogging at a trail when the wolves killed her.

Some of the wolf attacks in Alaska are told about in here:
http://www.arizonadailyindepen...ns-in-north-america/

I see wolves all the time when moose hunting, but never had a problem. We have had them circling our campsite while howling in the middle of the night. One time I was making moose calls, and a pack of wolves started howling about 100 feet away in the brush. It was getting dark, so I put my rifle away and unholstered my handgun as I started my ATV and left the area. Now I carry a 1911 Ruger pistol loaded with a 10-round magazine, just in case of wolves. The largest packs I have heard of by other hunters is 16 wolves.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I saw one in Montana years ago. It was right at daylight in heavy timber. I opened the door and steped out. To my surprise a BIG black Wolf with yellow eyes stepped out 20 yards in front of me. He looked at me,showed his teeth and burnt a hole right through me!!! I leaped into the truck and slammed the door. He walked across the single lane dirt road and into the timber. Tame Wolves my a$$.

Agree with you about wolves not being tame. What happens is that some people see wolves as the wild version of their pets. We all love our dogs and feel a sort of connection when looking into their eyes. But when you look into the eyes of a wolf, you immediately notice the difference between pet versus wild thing. If one feels a connection when looking into a wolf's eyes, this is called "emotional projection." This projection is nothing but one sided, from one to the wolf, and can get one injured or even killed Smiler

Even a wolf/dog breed at home never loses the wildness in it, and you can sense it when you look into their eyes. It is agains to law to own wolf/dog breeds in Alaska for that reason (the wild side is too strong).

The stare of a wolf or a large cat is something you never forget. I imagine that brown/grizzly bears would make you feel the same way when they stare at you, except that if you can see their eyes it means that you are already too close.

Wolves and black bears can be quite close without you knowing about it. I had a very large black wolf walking through my campsite a few years ago. I was in the middle of the day. There was a snow shower (rain/snow mix)taking place, so I rode back to my campsite on my ATV. Parked the ATV by my Wall tent, and walked to the middle of the campsite to the fire-pit to light a fire (my hunting partners and I hang a large tarp on the trees above the fire-pit). I leaned my rifle against a chair, and was thinking about walking about 50 feet away to pick some firewood we had stacked there, and that's when I saw the wolf walking through the trees. For a fraction of a second I thought that it was a small black bear, so I unholstered my handgun and aimed through the openings in the trees hoping to find a spot to shoot, and that's when I realized that the bear had a long tail Smiler

Anyway, it only took a couple of seconds for the wolf to disappear, so I never had a chance to shoot my gun.
---------
Something else about some of the wolves in Alaska: some male wolves can weight around 150 pounds. The one at my campsite was huge, too.
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/ind...icle&articles_id=503

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out this video. Are we talking about the same species? - a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde act. Probably the difference between well-fed animal vs the semi-starving mind state in the wild.

http://msnvideo.msn.com/?chann...df-a3da-777dc6623871

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dall85 said it all.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Not so long ago - when the introduction of wolves was being planned for Yellowstone - the 'huggers' said "there has never been a documented fatal attack of a human by a healthy wolf in North America."

They wouldn't like about something that, would they?

On the propaganda scale, that's right up there with "wolves only take the sick and weak, and eat everything they kill."

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Wolves just plain SUCK!!!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Wolves are beautiful apex predators. They are intelligent, communicative (to the other members of their pack), and live by hunting and killing.

will wolves attack a human? Sure they will, especially if the person panics and or runs. That is how the pack chooses their prey. Once an animal panics and runs the wolves instincts tell it that that is a meal. If you stand your ground (most often) the wolf will go on its way. If you demonstrate through body language that you are weak then the game is on.

I agree that having a gun to defend yourself is a great idea - for wolves, bears or people.

By the way the reason the wolf pack kills more animals than the eat is there way of making sure that they will eat again in the coming days. Life in the wild is a bit different than being able to get food any time you want it. All those sheep would be consumed over the course of a week or more to feed the entire pack.

The wolf is no more dangerous to people than any other wild animal and deer kill more people each year than wolves.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way the reason the wolf pack kills more animals than the eat is there way of making sure that they will eat again in the coming days.

A Wolf pack is going to eat 80 Sheep in a week?

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Here's an article were they killed 120!!! Wolfs kill ONLY what they will eat? I'm calling you out!!!

Wolves kill 120 sheep at ranch near Dillon.
http://missoulian.com/news/loc...ca-001cc4c03286.html

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surplus killing is well documented among many predator species, including wolves and coyotes.

Whether it's biologically justified or not, it could put a farmer out of business and seriously deplete game populations, especially if the wolves or coyotes become too numerous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
Not so long ago - when the introduction of wolves was being planned for Yellowstone - the 'huggers' said "there has never been a documented fatal attack of a human by a healthy wolf in North America"

Interesting reading below:

http://www.aws.vcn.com/wolf_attacks_on_humans.html

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote