Notify
Tools

2009 show us the one
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
well folks
this has worked in the past few years to
generate stories and photos of the one that made us proud.
lets try it again,a photo and short note about caliber,distance,bullet....you get the idea

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Since 09 was my worst finacial year in 15 years there were no out of state hunts this past year. I did do some extra doe hunts in my home state of Missouri and took advantage of the unlimited quota areas. My year consisted of 4 does (one with a smokepole) and one good buck.

The rifle I used on the buck was a plain-jane Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 spring. wearing a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40.
The load was 55 grns. of I4350 topped of with a Sierra 180 grn Game King.

I was slipping from ceader tree to ceader tree still hunting in the rain on the second day of rifle season near
Lancaster Missouri looking for deer when I looked to my right and seen him waiting for me to pass.
He was bedded under a ceader watching me with one eye....frozen. In the following seconds all hell broke loose under that tree as the 180 grn bullet tore through his shoulders.

He is just a run-of-the-mill 120ish buck but my first 6X typical.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
my first year archery hunting. my first archery deer.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ted...nice buck...love the thick bases

724 any archery buck is a great trophy

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
My Hondo NM 152 7/8".

I also shot 28 hogs, which this is one of them.

My Axis earlier this year.

One of my Rio Grands

[/IMG]

Also took a doe and a spike.

Plan on starting the tally for 2010 soon when deer season is over and I can get back to hunting hogs.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is my 2009 buck. I shot this buck just over 100 yards with a Thompson Center Renegade with a Lyman 57 SML peep and a Lyman 17 AML globe front sight with a Lee Shavers insert. The barrel is a Green Mountain 50 cal. The load was a 460 gr Paper patched 500 S&W bullet made with the Lee C-501-440-RF mould. I used 80 gr of Pyrodex P and a CCI Mag cap. The Buck gross scores over 160” Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
"The One" for 2009, my first Texas whitetail. 145 yards with my 6.5x284 and a 120 grain TSX.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12597 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Nice buck...that rifle looks funny though...the handle thingy is on the wrong side...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Ted Thorn, 2009 was a year I don't want to relive, personally and financially. I hunted the least last year and took the least game of any year I can remember.
Having said that, let me commend each and every one of your photos and trophies. Thanks for posting. Best to you all in the coming new year.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post

My son took his second Mule Deer buck this year at the age of 15. This year he also got a Antelope doe both real nice one shot kills the doe was about 260 yards the Muley was 280 yards the fun part for me on the Buck was that he picked the spot we hiked into and he decided that this was the buck he wanted I told him the yardage and he made the shot and told me where he hit it (called it a heart shot and it was perfectly a heart shot), he gutted it himself, packed his half out to the road on a Trapper Nelson pack(I packframed the other half) and then he skinned it and took care of the meat at camp. Very satisfying for me!
He has taken a Buck antelope a Bull Elk and another Buck Mule Deer before this season.
His rifle is a passed down .284 Win in a Ruger M77 flatbolt that my dad bought new, my dad my 2 brothers and I have all killed deer with this rifle and now it is my sons. The load is a 130 grain Speer BT with IMR-4350, WW cases, WW primers going 3125 fps average. Fairly accurate too. My son is growing up and I think hunting with me and my brother has rubbed off on him, this year we set up a great camp with some friends here from AR who also were a great influence on him. (Thanks Taylorce and Graybird!)

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
my daughter's first buck . . . 108 yards with Bullberry Custom 7-30 Waters with 16 1/2" barrel on a G2 contender carbine . . . shooting federal factory 120 grain bullets. Tooth wear suggest the age to be 4 1/2 or so, but body size and shape suggests 3 1/2. After I deboned, cut the steaks, and chopped up everything else in prep for the grinder, she ground all the burger (she's the Grinder, her Mom's the Packer, and I'm the Cutter - her terms, not mine LOL).

my 2nd mule deer and first US big game animal outside of Texas . . . shot with Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 WSM using 165 gr TSX handloads . . . shot at about 60 yards over a waterhole a 2 mile hike back into the Gila Wildnerness. Tooth wear suggests the buck was somewhere in the 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 age class. Live weight was probably close to 250 pounds.

My wife's hog (only big game animal she shot this past year). Shot with Bullberry Custom 260 Rem, 22" barrel, handloads using 120 gr XLCs at about 25 yards. Guesstimate on the weight was close to 200 pounds, maybe a bit less.

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
My boy, Jordan, who is 12. This is the first shot he ever fired at a big game animal with anything. 16-17 yard shot with a 42# Fred Bear Badge and a 65 gr. Steelforce Titanium 2-blade. The buck dropped in its tracks (and was not a spineshot). Proud dad captured the entire hunt on video.

Kid had a banner year. Took his first gobbler in April with the first shot he ever fired at a turkey. About 23-25 yards with a 3" load of #5 shot from his NWTF edition NEF Pardner and a XX-full Comp-N-Choke tube.

Watch him folks. He's a fairly dangerous man.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I'll play!
2009 was one of my best seasons ever. It started out slow in that I didn't kill a buck during Oklahoma muzzleloader season, but it wasn't because I didn't have plenty to choose from. I just didn't see any that met my "standards". Back in Texas for opening weekend, I tagged a really nice 11 point that grossed 137" (it could have been 141" if the broken off brow tine matched the other one). I killed him with my Blaser BBF 97 12 ga over 308 topped with a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 illuminated. I shot him at 75 yards while he was chasing a doe.

I was able to make it back to Oklahoma for rifle season and tagged a really nice mainframe 8 point that gross scored 153", and I killed him with my Blaser R-93 Professional Tracker in 9.3x62 topped with a Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10. I shot him at 60 yards as he came out of some cedars where I had just heard him making a scrape.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

this is the one that nearly makes me burst with pride,he is 9 yrs old with his pork double

he turned 21 in august of last year.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
revenr - fine looking son. please thank him for his service to the nation.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
these are all great animals folks! thanks for sharing!

heath

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
2009 Was a pretty good year for me. It all started in August with a trip to Florida for gators with 2 of my closest friends and we ended up filling 3 of 4 permits. Nothing outstanding regarding length 5 - 6+ feet, but not bad for a few Okies who had no idea of how to hunt gators.

Added a 13"+ antelope during September out of Oklahoma, a decent whitetail during Okla rifle season only to have a great buck (140-150ish) step out last light my final day while trying to fill doe permits, which I ended up taking away 2 of the ole buck's girlfriends and added them to the freezer.

Also, took my first big game animal from Colorado. The last day of the season and managed to score on this guy. Somewhere between 100-150 yards with 7mm-08 using factory Winchester ammo. I was only in there to help a friend pack out a buck he shot the day prior (thanks Snellstrom!). Had a great hunt and looking forward to hunting with my new AR buds in the future! (Snellstrom('s) son and brother and Taylorce1)

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

For me, 2009 was definitely different in terms of hunting. I have always preferred spot and stalk to anything else, but, for the most part, that’s no longer in the cards for me. With my health going south, I spent less than 3 total hours hunting for the 2-month Texas whitetail season – far fewer than any before though 2008 saw a dramatic decline as well.

To get to spend any time out there, my only real option has been to set up a couple of shooting platforms fairly near the house. Some may frown upon such and call that shooting instead of hunting, and that’s fair. Heck, I used to feel the same way and often refused to hunt from a blind if there was any other option. But my options have pretty much run out, and so, too, have any plans for future out-of-state endeavors.

So that’s what makes the 2 bucks I took this season as memorable as any other “hunts” beforehand.

I took the 10-pointer on the second day of the season. He was relentlessly chasing a doe, and I finally stopped him with a grunt call at what later turned out to be 195 yards. Where he stopped, weeds covered some of his chest, so I instinctively took a neck shot, something I never prefer doing. But everything was perfect on this rainy afternoon, and his rut-swollen neck loomed large through the 3-9x scope cranked up to maximum magnification.

One shot with my favorite rifle put the buck on the ground.

That left me with a “spike or buck with at least one unbranched antler" tag, and I got to fill that one a few days ago. The buck was slightly quartering, so I planted the crosshairs on the front side of the shoulder and drove the 129 grain Hornady SP through the top of the heart. It also wrecked most of both lungs before exiting the center of the opposite-side shoulder.

I got to feeling pretty rough shortly after taking the 10-pointer and in fact had to give the meat away as I could not finish the butchering process. But with the little buck, I managed to make it through and got it all done myself other than getting the deer home, which my wife helped out with.

That alone was a small victory for me.

Here are a few others I recently “sniped.” The bottom 3 photos are of hogs taken during the summer when I couldn’t sleep and took some short walks into the pasture during the middle of the night.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks to all that have contributed thus far
come on the rest of you,don't let this die on the vine. we all enjoy seeing each others
sucess

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
The one I'm most proud of is my son's second blacktail buck:

To protect the young hunter I won't mention the number of shots or the distance but both dad and son ended up proud. In his defence he had never shot anything bigger than his .257 Roberts so getting caught with only dad's .300 Wby. while shooting at the biggest buck he'd seen was quite a combination. The buck is next in line at the taxidermist.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jcarr
posted Hide Post
Some beautiful animals there, reminds me I need to hunt more! I had a slow season as far as animals taken but one of my busier years actually hunting. Spent nearly two weeks looking for Elk and a nice Muley buck, made the mistake of passing on several decent 3x3 bucks, kept seeing them so I figured if it came to the end and I had not done any better I could just go find one of them-I was wrong! Wound up not taking a Muley(except my late season doe), and par the course got skunked again on my elk, but I did wind up with a decent Antelope. He went just over 14 base to tip, but had very nice cutters going almost 12" around.

The main vice of capitalism is the uneven distribution of prosperity. The main vice of socialism is the even distribution of misery. -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 412 | Location: Wy | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
All taken with 130gr Interbond out of my 270 Win.

220 Yards

75 Yards

250-275 Yards, not sure the range finder wouldn't work in the heavy snow.

230 Yards

This was a season of firsts for me. First elk, first goat, first AK experience and my wife's first big game animal. They were all different and all a ton of fun. My AK goat hunt was an experience I am sure to never forget but I really enjoyed guiding the misses on her first big game animal too.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Because of the difficulty in getting permits here in AZ, my hunting was pretty much limited to Texas in 2009, with two trips to the same ranch a couple weeks apart.

The results of the first trip was this 36" scimitar oryx and the top antlers in the 2nd photo. The lower antlers belong to the buck in the last photo.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
My first bow kill.....225 lb. boar using 61# Diamond Iceman with 100 gr. Slick Trick broadheads.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post

This is the 6th elk I have killed. The first 2 were with my father, the next 3 were with an outfitter in Colorado. This is the only elk I have killed by myself without the assistance of family or a guide. He isn't the biggest 4x5 I have killed, but I was hunting alone on public land and the other 3 guys in camp got skunked. The hunt was near Ridgway, Colorado on Forest Service land bordering the private ranch we were staying on during second season. I saw numerous elk on the neighboring Sawtooth Ranch, saw 6 cows on public land, one bear and about 60 mule deer with only 1 fork horn buck. Two days later we had 8 inches of snow. I killed the elk with my Ruger 338 and 225 grain TSX factory loads. The shot was steeply uphill at about 175 yards. I skinned and quarted him in about an hour and packed him out 2.5 miles the next day. The bright side was most of the trip out was down hill.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this was a fun one,i took this young man buffalo hunting in december.12 yrs old
he shot this bull at 60 yds as they fed thru the cedars
took out both lungs with an 06 and 180's
buff expired in 45 seconds.
i'm going post this one for him,he was very humble about it but wore an awful big smile
the rest of the weekend. nice work jake.
everyone else also!looks like some great hunting and great posts.keep 'em coming

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post

My son took this unusual pronghorn buck in California this past summer. He watched the buck in range for about an hour before deciding to shoot him. He wanted to hold out for a bigger buck, but in the end decided he'd never get one as unusual so he shot it. Turned out to be 15 1/2", not too bad for a buck he was going to pass up! The rifle he shot it with is a Remington 700 in .270 that he won at a FNAWS convention raffle. I paid $20 for the ticket that won that rifle, and my son has taken some very nice animals with that rifle. Thank you to Leland Speakes for donating it to FNAWS.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:

My son took this unusual pronghorn buck in California this past summer. He watched the buck in range for about an hour before deciding to shoot him. He wanted to hold out for a bigger buck, but in the end decided he'd never get one as unusual so he shot it. Turned out to be 15 1/2", not too bad for a buck he was going to pass up! The rifle he shot it with is a Remington 700 in .270 that he won at a FNAWS convention raffle. I paid $20 for the ticket that won that rifle, and my son has taken some very nice animals with that rifle. Thank you to Leland Speakes for donating it to FNAWS.

BTW,
Did you guys get an antelope up by Lovelock too? I thought you had said you were going to try in Nevada also.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Yes, he shot a buck about an inch shorter just outside Lovelock. That was a tougher hunt, lots of country with NO antelope in it, and only small pockets that held animals. All in all, it was a great week of hunting with my son, and that's the biggest trophy for me. It was kinda neat to do back to back pronghorn hunts in adjoining states.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote