THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: KY Snow Leopard (not a White Panther)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: KY Snow Leopard (not a White Panther)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Uh Oh, its gonna start breeding with bobcats and produce a kinda super cat. You know, like the coy-dog was going to wipe out the deer population east of the big river. All stout hearted Kentuckians and, might as well, all West Virginians, arm yourself and start (or continue) killing everything in sight.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot it with my bow first.

Then, a 44 Rem mag with 300 Hornady XTP

or good old 270

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey beemanbeme, Maybe it has headed over in your direction. Not a single sighting reported from anyone around here.

The cat's name is Magic and the Wildlife folks are trying to help the guy that had it, trap it. No baits hit so far.

It has been de-clawed but of course it still has it's teeth.

---

Oh yes, the Wildlife folks seem to be focusing a lot of energy on "Permits". It seems the guy had the proper Federal Permits to import it from South America and keep it at his residence. But, they haven't been able to locate any KY Permits.

Kind of hard to keep up with since the news(?) folks are more concerned with the Mike Tyson fight.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'd shoot it with my bow first. ... Then, a 44 Rem mag with 300 Hornady XTP ... or good old 270

Hey Doc, There is quite a long Bow Season in KY. Might do just fine. I particularly like the 44Mag idea and the 300gr XTP should get good penetration.

One of my SC Hunting buddies is a huge 270Win fan. He was wanting to kill some Wildcats so we put him on a Stand where we had seen a good many. He broke out the Doe Bleet and managed to call in a Wildcat 4 consecutive weekends. The first 3 he "cleanly" killed with a 357Mag S&W with a Red Dot sight. They all dropped where they stood.

The 4th cat came in and he had his 270Win. He shot and of course it had to run off. We didn't know about it for a couple of days because he thought he had missed it. But, he got it and it was beginning to stink up the woods. Had to go in and bring it out on a pitchfork and then bury it. Lots of "jokes" about the 270Win being too light for the cat.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Uh Oh, its gonna start breeding with bobcats and produce a kinda super cat. You know, like the coy-dog was going to wipe out the deer population east of the big river. All stout hearted Kentuckians and, might as well, all West Virginians, arm yourself and start (or continue) killing everything in sight.

Hah! I was entertaining the thought of a Snow Leopard and Panther cross, a Leopther. Sure to survive in KY or WV since a confirmed kill or picture of the infamous black panther has never appeared in either state. I also will mention that "all" don't kill everything in sight. That is a pretty big heap to lump the people of two states.

one of us
posted Hide Post
QR, you are quite right. Not "all" mountaineers are driven by the "if its breathing, kill it" lust. But enough are for it to be an embarassment.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Bman, Unfortunately you are correct. We call them "Trash", they don't deserve to be called "Mountaineers".

I find it unusual and expect changes for exotic animal owners about securing and accounting for their animals, birds, fish, etc. Pen raised quail and pheasant starting last year are regulated under stricter guidelines in WV.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a lady today who said the Snow leopard had been "spotted" , but still running loose. Apparently it even has a Collar and Chain leash of some kind on it.

No additional input about the Permits. And no stories of chewed livestock or pets - yet.

(Maybe it is off hiding with some Black Panthers!!!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Magic" the Snow Leopard has been caught without harm.

Magic was located about 2 miles from home. She was checking out a local Rabbit Farm to see if any "bite size morsels" were available and was "spotted".

The owner and the Wildlife folks surrounded Magic. Then the owner "missed a shot" with the trusty tranqualizer gun. At that point the cat was not acting nervous, so the shot was a waste of time anyhow. He just walked over to Magic and she let him pick up the chain leash without any resistance. Magic was then led into an awaiting cage for transport back home and a good meal. She was a bit thin and may not have eaten since she originally escaped.

Wildlife folks still "hot on the trail" of all the Premits.