New
Find
Notify
Tools

Free A-Bolt of Vanguard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Through an safety incentive plan at work I will soon have my choice of either a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in .270, .30-06, or 7mm-08, or a Weatherby Vanguard in .243, .270 WSM, or .300 WSM. For whatever reason which would you choose and why?

One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Browning A-Bolt Stalker; worth more money! Also very nice gun; would get 30-06 or 270.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Hard question?

Probably the A-Bolt in a 30-06.

Choice between a Sub-Moa Vanguard and a A-Bolt the Vanguard everytime!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vote for the Vanguard here. Browning still makes nice shotguns, but their rifles are hideous in my opinion.

I have been hunting with a Vanguard in 7RM since I was in college. It is close to MOA and I cannot bring myself to replace or use any of my other rifles in its place.

Caliber would be .300 WSM if trophy hunting is on the menu. .270 WSM if a deer/antelope rifle is all your looking for.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Get the Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 30.06. I have had very good service from my Brownings and you can find 30.06 all over the world.

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The Browning has many advantages over the Vanguard. 60 deg. bolt lift and the best removeable box mag you will find not to mention the silky smooth bolt opperation. Plus to adjust the trigger all you have to do is clip the triger spring a-little at a time to get just what you want.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Vanguard in .243. I'm not impressed with the design of the A-Bolt, and though I have met some acceptably accurate ones, the Vanguard is a nicer looking rifle and the .243 is the most user friendly deer cartridge around. Perfect for introducing young, small-framed, or recoil sensative shooters to hunting rifles. It's also versatile enough to do double duty as a varmint rifle. There are lots of choices in factory loads, lots more bullets available, it is very loader-friendly and economical of powder, too.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's all fine and dandy if you don't like the A-bolts, but take it anyway. You could sell it and buy 2 Vangards.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontMike:
It's all fine and dandy if you don't like the A-bolts, but take it anyway. You could sell it and buy 2 Vangards.

Well, most people already have a 30-06,
I assume you do too?

The A-bolt is a much more expensive rifle.
that plus the fact that you are being offered a Vanguard in a WSM caliber, that kinda makes it looks like a free kiss from an ugly girl with a big chancre on her lip...

given the choices I'd go with the A-bolt
in 7mm-08.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A-Bolt and trade it on something else !! Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What might you hunt? Decide on the caliber first,then pick the tool that will do the best in that.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Vanguard in .270 Win for the last 25 years.
Today, it's the most precise rifle in my guns collection (more of 45 hunting rifles and other guns).
3 shots at 150 meters in 1/2"!(IMR 4350 and RWS H-Mantel)
Never more of a inch with others reloads.
Great gun!.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh goodness, this is so easy.

Unless it is a sub-moa Vanguard, go with the A-Bolt and never look back. I have both an A-Bolt and Vanguard in 30-06. The Browning shot 1" groups right out of the box. The Vanguard on the other hand, had the worst trigger I've ever seen and much vertical stringing. I finally replaced the cheap Butler Creek stock that came with the gun with a Bell and Carlson, and replaced the trigger with a Timney. It's now a reliable MOA gun, but guess what? I have nearly the exact same amount invested in it and the A-Bolt.

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I like the tang saftey on the A-bolt and the detachable box magazine. Otherwise, the two are very similar in operation.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontMike:

This is a great way to put it!! I also must say I love the 7-08 with just about any 140 in it.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could have either of them and swap for an ugly accurate Savage or Ruger, then fine. Otherwise, don't like either rifle.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
If I could have either of them and swap for an ugly accurate Savage or Ruger, then fine. Otherwise, don't like either rifle.

I don't think I'd buy either an A-bolt or a Vanguard new, atleast not in any of the calibers he's been offered, but I wouldn't turn down a free rifle either.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I own both those guns. The Vanguard is a 30-06 and the A-bolt a 270 wsm. The A-bolt is super accurate. I, however, like to hunt with the Vanguard. I think the best idea would be to get the A-bolt and turn around and sell it. Take the money and put it towards a rifle you really want.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
id take the a bolt i have a 300wm stainless stalker with a boss and love it. no problems at all and i get 1/2 in groups with standard remmington ammo.

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be pleased with either rifle, after owing 3 A Bolts and having bought several Vanguards ( actually Howas) for gifts for a nephew or two...

My choice would be influenced in favor of caliber...I'd go with the 7/08 first, followed by the 06, then the 270, then a 243 and the final would be a toss up on the short mags....

I don't own the short mags, but do own several 270s, a batch of 06s and a batch of 243s.....but NO 7/08.... I do own several 260s.. hence no 7/08... but of the above choices.. I think the 7/08 would be the most versatile with lack of recoil, followed by the 270 for lack of recoil and the 30/06 for versatility....

The 243 is more a specialty rifle... the short Mags.. I don't see a need for them at all....

I don't think you could go wrong with either rifle.....

good luck...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
A-Bolt in 30-06.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got any openings where you work? Big Grin

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You lucky Rascall!

Abolt for sure.

The Abolt is a better gun in my opinion. The Abolt feeds smoother, looks better, feels better, and flat out shoots better in my experience w/ the two.

Before all you Vangaurd fans start to squawk, I'm just basing my opinions from working w/ both types during the last couple of years.

As someone else stated, the Abolt will bring more dough second hand.

Have a Good One.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are advantages and disadvantages to both rifles.

The A-bolt is a better rifle, IMO. But it costs more. Also the A-bolt comes in a 22 inch barrel and the Vanguard in 24. That may be a factor.

The best part of the Vanguard is the price. At Walmart you can purchase the Vanguard for $400 or the Vanguard Stainless for $500. I held both and they came off as a little cheezy. But I still liked them and would consider them as a beater rifle.

If your goal is to have an all around beater rifle (one that you don't care if you drop it, get mud on it, get it wet, etc), then I'd go with the Vanguard. If you want something nicer then go for the A-bolt.

Caliber is all up to you. It appears that your shots will be over 100 yards based on the caliber selection and all those mentioned work well for deer sized game at those distances. You can even use it on elk (with the exception of the .243).

Question: why don't you want the A-bolt in a .243, .270 WSM or .300 WSM. I think those calibers are available in an A-bolt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry... just noticed it's a gift...

Go for the A-bolt if $$$ isn't an issue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A-bolt in 7-08. I have nothing against the Vanguard, never had one, but your choices are not calibers I particularly care for. For the A-bolt, I have a couple 30-06s already and never saw a need for the 270, hence my choice for the 7-08.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Man, what a problem to have!

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote