New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber Choice for Pronghorn
 Login/Join

Picture of Browntailguy
posted
Quick question for the experts out there. If you had to choose one caliber for a pronghorn rifle what would it be? I think I am undergunned (22-.250) and overgunned (30-06) for spped goats and darnit I might just have to go buy another rifle. I am so disappointed. Please help. Thanks

Posts: 14 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OHMYGAWD! You definately need another rifle for pronghorns!!!! There's no way you could possibly hunt them with what you have.

Now, the truth is that you're not particularly "overgunned" with the '06 as it makes a fine pronghorn rifle with a slick bullet like the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip or other favorite bullet. And I wouldn't hesitate to hunt them with a .22-250 if that were all that were available to me, although your typical .224 bullet is a little out of its class for this type of animal.

The list of appropriate calibers is long, but it would include some of the lighter choices such as .243, 6mm, and 243 WSM, then range up the line through such choices as .25-06, 260 Rem, .264 WM, .270 Win-WSM-WBY, 7-08, 7x57, 7mm RM and a whole lot more.

If purchasing a caliber specifically for pronghorns, I might look at the .25-06. It's combination of light recoil, velocity, and power are tailor-made for pronghorns (and the .270 is a rival for the same comments).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert. Have only killed a few antelope. I guess step one would be to find out where the 22-250 is legal to use. That will certainly put down an antelope but it wouldn't be my choice.

I use a 270 because it is the smallest cal. I own. Your choices are many. If I recall, Jorge prefers his 257 Weatherby. You'll most likely get an endless list on this thread.

257 Roberts, 243, 6mm Rem, 260, 7.08, 25.06, Weatherbys in smaller cal, lots of good choices.

But for me, I'd opt for a 270. Our latest antelope medicine is the 110 TSX and it exceeded my expectations on antelope and deer via my brother. JMO, but the 270 is a versatile round.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Ha. I was first in line to reply, but kids were begging me to make them some breakfast, I come back and finish and Stonecreek posted my thoughts already...sorry for sounding like an echo.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I built a 6.5x55 with pronghorn in mind.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In Wyoming the 22.250 is illegal for antelope. I've taken them with 243 up through 7mm Mag and 308. I'm leaving at the end of the month and the three of us are using a 6.5x284, a 25.06 and a 7mm Mag.

I agree with Stonecreek though if you take the 30.06 just look for a 150 grain bullet that shoots accurately and go for it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browntailguy:
Quick question for the experts out there. If you had to choose one caliber for a pronghorn rifle what would it be?

I sometimes go undergunned ( 6X45mm ), sometimes overgunned ( 7mm Magnum ) and sometimes just about perfect ( 6mm-284 ), but never often enough...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Wy the .22-250 is illegal, but will kill the heck out of them. The 06 is Ok, a .257 Weatherby is perfect. Just load the .30-06 with some 150's at 3000 fps and shoot one.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BrowntailGuy: I have used 22 Centerfires to kill Antelope and they are very lethal and effective with well placed shots!
Your 22-250 is legal here in Montana as the Fish & Game folks don't have caliber restrictions on arms used to harvest Game!
Having said that - I prefer the mid-caliber but higher performance cartridges myself, like the 25/06, 240 Weatherby, 6mm Remington, 6mm Remington Ackley Improved, 260 Remington, 7mm Remington Magnum and my latest "dedicated" Antelope caliber/Rifle the good old 270 Winchester!
Like someone above posted use "slick" (I take this to mean pointy and low drag - high BC bullets) in any of the above cartridges and you will have a dandy Antelope cartridge/Rifle!
I use the wonderful Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips in my 270 Sendero!
I think if I were you and not wanting to buy another Rifle I would use your 30/06 handloaded with Nosler 168 gr, CT Ballistic Silvertips!
These bullets have a Ballistic Coefficient of .490!!!
That bullet will fly flat - for far!
Best of luck in your Antelope pursuits!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A neighbor who goes to wyoming or montana every year to go hunting commented after I showed him my Marlin1895 that his definition of self-torture would be going after pronghorns with a 45-70 loaded with factory Remington (405gr) ammo....

a 45-70 with 405's seems about as opposite as you can get to a 257Wby or 25-06 loaded with 100gr TSX's
(the 257Wby probably being the quintessential, "wretched excess" speedgoat rifleSmiler

Personally I think the 25-06 is probably ideal (part of the reason I bought another 25-06) though I might be inclined to use something that'd open more abrubtly at longer ranges (thus lower residual velocities)... like a 100gr Partition or a 110gr accubond....

Pronghorn hunting would seem to be a lot like "Beanfield" hunting of whitetails (and don't be an asshole and ask how many pronghorns I've shot unless you have a specific issue with what I'm saying) Open terrain, little or no cover against an animal with superb eyesight.

My brother just bought 69 acres of speedgoat habitat in Wyoming (Signed the contract yesterday)
So I'm soon to find out (though sadly not this season)
in person about how a speedgoat reacts to a 100gr TSX
launched at ~3400fps... by any account they should work well from my 25-06SenderoSmiler

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6mm Rem, 260 Rem, 6.5 x 57, 257 Roberts, 243, 250 Savage.... those would be my first picks in that order...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .270 is just perfect with light bullets, but it's awfully close to your 30-06. I would think something more in between your 22-250 and your .06 is NEEDED, definitely need a new antelope only rig......standard chamberings, I would go with something in the .308 case family, maybe 7mm-08 or even the 243, and the .308 itself has been known to be good on distant targets, which pronghorns can often be.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25-06 Sendero with 120gr Partitions is my go to goat getter.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Your 06 w/ 150gr bullets is a fine antelope rig. I use my .280/140gr but if I were buying/building a rig for lopes it would be a 25-06 or, if you like short actions a .260, which also double as a nice deer rigs. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either one would be fine, which do you shoot the best? If going the 06 route I would try the 165 grain as well. The 150's shot poorly in mind but the 165's shoot like a champ and are still flat shooting. Both calibers will work as long as you place the bullet where it is suppose to go. Esox357.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted antelope, and mule deer in WY for 6 or 7 years in a row. There were 6 to 8 hunters in our group every year. Also the landowners 3 sons and their girl friends usually waited to shoot their antelope as they liked hunting with us.
The "residents" all used the 25-06.
We used the following 243, 6mm Rem, 25-06, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 308, 30-06, 30o0 Win Mag, 300 WBY Mag, 30 Herrett, 35 Herrett, and a black powder 50 cal.
Several of us also bought doe tags, some of us bought 2. So I usually saw at least 20 antelope killed every year.
We shot them from 90 yards to @550 [that one with a 308].

The 243/6mm with 100gr bullets,worked as well or better than anything else.
Several people in our group went to the 25-06 with 100 gr bullets, usually Sierra.

So baised on what I have actually seen in the field, something in the 243 to 270 would be perfect. Light recoil and flat shooting.

If/when I ever go anteloping hunting again I would use a 308 or a 300 Win Mag.
Probably my Blaser K 95 Stutzen in 308.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
My brother just bought 69 acres of speedgoat habitat in Wyoming (Signed the contract yesterday)

69 Acres?? Eeker
I hope it's not fenced.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
....If you had to choose one caliber for a pronghorn rifle what would it be?......

I have taken about 40 in my life time with various calibers from the .243 to the .375 H&H. If I were to have a dedicated antelope rifle I think it would be somewhere along the lines of a .25-06. The recoil is light and it packs a good punch. The 6.5X55 and .260 Rem are other good candidates. But a lot depends on if you handload or depend on factory ammo.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted antelope twice and have shot two. Both were taken with my 25-06 and 117gr Hornady's, the only bullet I shoot in it. Were I to go again, I think I'd try my 6.5x06 with it's 129 gr Hornady's. I'm not big on hunting them.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:

69 Acres?? Eeker
I hope it's not fenced.

Parts of it will be, but not any significant fraction... and that fencing will be to keep things OUT rather than in.

There are jsut places you don't want the neighbor's angus cattle roaming....

He's got Mulies and antilope on the property, And Prarie dogsSmiler so...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather like the .45-70 myself. But I use a .45-100, a .30-30, a .38-55, or a .38-72. They all work.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From your post I read that you want to buy another rifle! So don't we all.

You made the mistake of getting a 30-06 so you really don't need another. As posted before an 06 with 150s will bag anything that size.

What you could get, if you don't already have one, is a laser rangefinder. They are fabulous for long shots. Just carry a pocket size runnoff of your ballistics and your all set.

If you get another gun then I would work around the dimensions of what the 30-06 is like now. If it's a featherweight then I would get a rifle thats about the same weight but with a little more range. No way a 6mm will outrange a 30-06 on anything. If the 30-06 you have now weighs almost nine # scoped then I would get a new lightweight.

My first choice in a medium or featherweight rifle would be a Kimber Montana in a WSM. The 270 WSM would cover antelope.

If a lightweight then a Kimber montana in 308 or some other suitable cartridge of your choice. They chamber them in 7mm-08 also along with the 260 Rem and some varmint rounds.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
30.06, 130 Barnes TSX.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted speed goats one time. I brought along a 7mm-08. My father ended up using my rifle to bag his as well. Next time I go I may take it again or possibly a .257 Roberts.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
YOU POOR BASTARD GET TO YOUR FAVORITE RETAILER AND APPLY A 25-06 THEN POST US AS SOON AS THE FEVER PASES

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done all my speed goating with the consensus rifle, a .25-06 with 100 NBT or X. The perfect antelope rifle. A .257 Roberts pushed modern would be fine too.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 15 or so antelope with my .30-06, with 150 gr bronze points. Works great. This year I will be using a .270 with 130 gr. bronze points and expect fine results. I have hunted with people who used .25 cal cartridges, but they seemed a bit small, especially since you can get some pretty long shooting.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
420 Grain carbon arrow with a 125 grain broadhead, going 290FPS.

It worked this year already with one doe antelope in the bag so far.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree with the majority and that is beginning to worry me. .25-06.

But not for elk. shame

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Browntailguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks a ton for the replies. Lots of options. I think I'll print the first reply and show it to the wife. Then go out and get a 25-06. What about optics what power scope would you recommend? I love Leupold but have one of the new Bsuhnell elite 4200's on my 22-250 and it is brighter than my VXII and VariX-III????

Posts: 14 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
.....What about optics what power scope would you recommend?.....

I would recommend something in the 4X12 range. It will have the reach when you need it. Leupolds are one of the best for their price. Nikons aren't bad either.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot Pronghorn with a bunch of calibers as they are not really hard to kill. I really think the best way to put the word "hunt" back into Pronghorn shooting is to use a handgun. The best hunt I ever had was with a scoped Contender in 7-30 Waters. Get some knee pads to go with it and start crawling! I also used a 7mm Ultra Mag Sendero but that was pure murder. If you could see 'em you could shoot 'em. Good hunting.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle then go for the 25-06, 6.5x55, 7-08, or whatever floats your boat. If not, your 30-06 with 150 grain NBTs will work great. For antelope, my hunting buddy always uses a 30-06 with some kind of 150 grain bullets with great success. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting here wondering just how many useable cartridge and loads I could come up with that would be perfect; 243 to 30-06.

24 cal's 243, 6mm Rem, 6mm-286, 240 Weatherby
bullets: 87gr, 90gr, 100gr

25 cal's 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 257 Weatherby
bullet's: 100gr, 115gr, 117gr, 120gr

26cal's 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 264 Win Mag
bullets: 120gr, 125 gr, 129/130gr, 140gr

27 cals: 270 Win
bullets: 130gr, 140gr, 150gr

28 cal 7mm-08, 7x57, 280Rem, 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag. 7mm Weatherby, 7mm STW
bullet's: 140gr, 150gr 160gr

29 cal ?????????no one's home!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 cal 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06, 300H&H, 300Win Mag, 300 Weatherby
Bullets: 150gr, 165gr 180gr.

Now this list is not complete as I left out the WSM's, The WSSM's, the RUM's amd a bunch of properity cartridges. Also missing is some eourpean csrtridge not common in this country, ie: 5.6x57, 6.5x57

Damn, I'm not counting all these things. Which one is perfect? They all are!!! jumping

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 260 Rem, you forgot to mention 100 grain bullets... at 3350 fps, they equal a 25/06 any day!!!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your 06 will work great, but if I were looking for a pure lope/deer rifle that new 264 mag Sendero might be a nice outfit.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The Pronghorn is one animal that pin point accuracy is more important than the caliber! Any good bullet through the heart/lung area will down him on his belly. This is the only so-called big game the justifies the accuracy everyone used to select a hunting rifle, and with total disregard all other aspects of how the rifle is made. For this animal the scope used is as important as the caliber, and rifle type. A 243Win is perfect for pronghorn, if the man shooting knows his rifle. The 300 win mag is fine as well, if you can shoot it over the recoil. I think about the best is a middle of the road chambering like the 280 Remington in a good rifle is just about perfect. I base this on the accurcy available, and the low recoil, rifle can be built light, and is usefull for larger, and smaller animals as well.

The quarter inch chamberings are an option, for some, but I have a personal dislike of all 25 cal firarms, from pistol, to heavy barreled varment rifles. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I have killed 4 antelope with a 300 Win Mag, 270 (2), and 30-06. All my shots have been 300 yards or a bit further. I have seen 5 killed with a 257 Roberts, 30-06, 30-284, 270 Weatherby, and 300 Win Mag from ranges of 300 yards to about 50 yards. A few years ago in Wyoming I was in camp with 13 other hunters and they all tagged out in 2 days with 243, 25-06, 257 Weatherby, 260, 270, 280, 7x57, 7mm Rem Mag/Weatherby, 30-06, 300 Win Mag/Weatherby/RUM. All the calibers worked fine. The most important thing is the guy behind the rifle. The bigger bore magnums were a bit much on these light bodied critters, but they certainly killed them.

I think a perfect antelope rifle would be a 25 caliber and a 4 X 12 best quality scope. This year I am going to try to fill my doe tags with a 44 S&W 329 and maybe a double rifle.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Browntailguy
posted Hide Post
I am leaning more and more towards a 25-06. I own a Tikka in 30-06 and love it so I may go with the Tikka T3 Lite in 25-06 and put some really good glass on it. Bushnell Elite 4200 or Leupold VXIII. I guess I have to tell the wife that my current inventory is inadequate to humanely take a pronghorn and need to re-gun. Keep em coming

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
25-06 ---PERFECT!

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote