New
Find
Notify
Tools

question about sako
 Login/Join

<NE Buck Hunter>
posted
i am looking for some info on a gun i am thinking of purchasing.the seller says that it is a model 75 hunter. the barrel is stamped with the cal. the action is stamped L691. barrel length is 24", 2 position tang safety, oiled walnut stock. there is nothing stamped on the rifle that identifies it as a model 75.any info would be appreciated.

<1LoneWolf>
posted
I guess I shouldn't even respond to this because I don't know the answer to your actual question.

However, I have owned a few 75s, and an A107, and about a half dozen other SAKOs, plus another 3 of their war child TIKKAs. The TIKKA is a fine rifle, the SAKO is deluxe from there. I doubt you can go wrong...I repect their name as I would my own name if I was to stamp it on a barrel.

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
NE,

The way I understand it, the L691 action is an old model - nothing wrong with it at all, in fact, I think it is an extremely good action.

The 75 is a new model. Check the bolt. if it has two locking lugs, it is not a model 75.

Posts: 67061 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
I have just purchased a Sako L691 in .375 H&H. I had the choice of the new Sako 75 but preferred the older & superseeded L691 series. The L691 is the long action model (the "6") and the 91 designates that the action was redesigned in 1991. I preferred the L691 because IMHO the 75 came into being to reduce cost of manufacture. I also did not like the magazine in 75 - looks cheap.

Only criticism of the my L691 is that it is a big light for heavy calibre rifle. But its a real shooter. Will put 3 shots at 100 yds in under an inch with Win Supreme 270gn Failsafes. Unfortunately I have not yet found a handload that does any better.

If anyone out there has any good loads for .375 H&H with Hodgdon or Win powders let me know.

Trigger is nice too and can be adjusted to a crisp 3lb pull. Get the L691 in preference to 75 and probably cheaper too.

<'Trapper'>
posted
John, I too have a Sako in 375 H&H and I agree with whqt you said - after about 20 red or so off the bench it gets intense!
As to your question about reloads, I am using 75.0gr of H4350 and a Hornady 270gr RNSP bukket, Federal 215M primers and W-W cases. Don't know what speed this is giving but it is the most accurate load I have yet pushed through my 375 but I am still looking. Also in the same vein, I want to hunt white tails with the 375 this year and was wondering about either the 235 gr bullets or maybe a heavy cast bullet. Anyone have any experience and a good load for either one of these?
Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!
Regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

<Mr.Bigbore>
posted
NE Buck Hunter

As has been posted above, I would take the 691 (which is an older 2 lug action) over the 75. These are the rifles that helped mauntain the Sako reputation and as far as I'm concerned the 75's don't quite live up to what the older ones were.

John T

I gave up on all other powders for the 375 H&H after I became aquainted with Reloder 15. W-760 is extremely accurate but lacks the ability to get enough in the case for serious velocity and the others didn't quite do it for me. I currently own 3 different 375's and have developed load that shoot MOA at very nice velocities. One uses 74 grains of RL-15 and 270 grain Hornadies and the other uses 71 grains with 300 grain Partitions.

------------------
Protect our heritage, take a kid hunting!

"De Oppresso Liber"

<Bill>
posted
I have a Model 75 in 7 STW and an L681 in 3006, the 691 is my favorite rifle by far.

Interesting to note, is Magnum Reasearch uses a modified version of this action on thier Mountain Eagle Custom Rifles.

<JohnT>
posted
I feel real comfy here with all the Sako L691 owners.

Trapper,
I have a post in the Reloading Forum. Mike375 reckons that our AR2208 powder is sold as Varget in USA. I've just worked up new loads with 72gn and 68 gn of AR2208, new Win Cases trimmed to 2.840" and Win WLR primers & C.O.L. 3.60". Shooting indoors and only at 50 metres both those loads shoot under 1/2 inch. I don't know the velocity but the 72gn hits same point of impact as the Factory Win Supreme 270gn Failsafes which are my "control" load. They shoot 3 shots in 0.4" at 50 metres. My rifle just loves them.NB. Both load not max in my rifle.

Mr Bigbore,
Not easy to get Reloader 15 but Mike 375 put me on to a possible supplier in Sydney, Australia. The choices you guys have in US makes us green with envy. Also your dollar is a lot healthier.

Fellow L691 owners need your help on the following issues:

1. Having trouble with cases on ejection hitting the windage turret cap. Am using Leupold Vari XII 3-9 x 40 on original Low Sako Rings. Will changing to Medium height Sako rings fix this? Have any of you had this problem? Sometimes cases will clear other times they fall back in. Not good for a DGR.

2. Has anyone out there done anything to reduce the felt recoil on their Sakos. Mine is beautifully wood stocked but wood is very light with a thinnish recoil pad. Has anyone fitted a decelerator pad to one of these? Is difference noticeable. What about those mercuric recoil reduces do they work? Am treading cautiously on this because the rifle balances beautifully at the moment. But as Trapper said you really notice it on a bench even when I use a Past magnum shoulder pad.

<JohnT>
posted
Trapper,

Sorry, I forgot to give the bullet type. My loads were for 235gn Speer for .375 H&H , 72gn or 68gn of AR2208 powder in new Win cases trimmed to 2.840", primers were Win WLR and C.O.L. was 3.60". Both loads shoot less than 1/2 inch at 50 metres in my Sako.

Thanks for the 270& 300gn loads, will work on those next.