THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Colorado Mule Deer - high preference points

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Mule Deer - high preference points
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if any one had advice on where to spend 14 deer preference points in Colorado. Effectively, I should be able to draw any unit in the state. A nice position to be in, but it puts a bit of pressure on making the right decision. I have been banking these points for a long time while hunting with my family, and now I am ready for a hunt just for me. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I would put in for a great unit this year, if I am not mistaken you can point bank this year in CO. If you have 14 points and you can draw with 7 points then you will retain 7 points. Its a heck of a deal, here is a link to a discussion on point banking.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID6/11851.html
As for where to go, thats a tough question without knowing what your looking for and how hard you want to hunt. There are some units that are better than others but are very difficult to hunt. PM me and I'll give you a few ideas.

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you non-resident folks hadn't gotten screwed out of the wildlife ranching program I could give you some info on a super ranch in the S.E. part of the state. There are some public lands down there that would be worth looking at. You might take a look at last year's drawing results and see how many points it takes to get in down there. The area holds some really nice bucks and you might not have to spend all 14 points. You could probably find a ranch that would let you hunt but that would certainly cost you some $$$.
Good luck.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drummond - you have a PM.

CGB - thanks for the post. With this many points I am thinking I should be able to draw a quality, public land hunt. I am aware there are some great RFW units, but I will save them for another time.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the idea of banking points. Take a long look at unit 21, third season. I hunted it last year and saw an average of 30-35 bucks a day. Good access, some definite trophy animals.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
The late hunt in 21 would be a good bet but I think Garth listed it as a favorite so I am sure everybody and their brother will be putting in for it.

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With that many points I would try to spend them. Go for the unit you want and if you bank a few points, all the better.

I think this point banking thing could really bite a lot of people. For example unit X took 3 points last year and gave 40% of the tags to nonresidents. Now this year if a lot of guys with high points put in, hopeing to draw AT 3 points and bank the rest may find that the competition has made the unit a take 5,6,7 points to draw. This would wipe out their points and only get in on an average unit.

I would think 21 3rd would be a great hunt. Those deer in the Books rut early and by the first week of Nov you would have more bucks trailing hot doe then you could look at in a day. The Gunnison Basin hunts were all the rage last year, but there was a lot of dissappointment- poor weather, elk hunters. If you got some weather then the 55 or 54 4th hunt would be a good one also.

Also, hope that the Gov Tag guides arn't pounding it like they did last year. Those guys were in a Turbo Prop Helicopter tearing that country up looking for huge deer. They sold the GPS coordinates to "lesser" bucks and shot some of the bucks themselves. I hope you pick an area which isn't scrutinized by the Gov Tag guides.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimroo:
I agree with the idea of banking points. Take a long look at unit 21, third season. I hunted it last year and saw an average of 30-35 bucks a day. Good access, some definite trophy animals.

Jimroo,
I'm really interested in what you saw in 21 last year. I had considered that unit, but didn't really expect weather would concentrate these deer in November. I am very familiar with unit 10, and assume this is pretty similar country. I would love to give you a call and bend your ear for a minute. Please PM your phone number and I'll call on my nickel. I will send my number by PM.
Thanks for the post.

MC, the concept of banking points sounds great, but seems like a total crapshoot. I have decided to go for the best unit (whatever that is!), and if I bank a few points fine, if not, well then I got the hunt I wanted. I am more interested in picking the right unit than worrying about saving a few points for the future. Thanks for your input on 54 /55.
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM with contact info sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle, Garfield, Gunnison, Delta and, Monrose counties are five of the top ten producing counties in the B&C record books. I would look at the fourth season hunt in unit 551 its new for nonresidents this year. I would also consider a hunt in one of the units where the nonresidents will be limited to 20% of tags.
Ryan

Posts: 36 | Location: lubbock,texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting fool rates area 21 as there top choice.