Find
Notify
Tools

javalina hunt questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted
I have applied for a left over javalina tag in Arizona near Prescott. I've never hunted them before and was wondering what is the best gun to use, what methods work best to hunt them, and how do you cook them? I think I'll mount him lifesize assuming I am successful. Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
May want to do some reading up on JavelinaHunter.com

Any caliber rifle will work, they are not bulletproof. I took my first with a .30-06 & 180gr bullet, but I was hunting Whitetails at the time. A .243 or .223 would work just as well as any.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
A mature male javelina will weigh 40-45 pounds, and spot-and-stalk is the most common method for hunting them.

Their eyesight is poor; thus, they are good candidates for archery or handgun hunting. In handguns, anything from .357 Mag on up will do nicely. In rifles or specialty pistols, anything that is adequate for deer will be well-suited to javelinas.

While not the most palatable game meat out there, they are good candidates for pan sausage with about a half-and-half mixture of added pork. I've also had javelina jerky -- pretty decent stuff.

Good luck on the hunt.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mustbhuntn:
I have applied for a left over javalina tag in Arizona near Prescott.

Those units around Prescott are at the northern edges of the javelina range. If you get the permit, let me know the unit # and maybe I can provide some suggestions on where to hunt.

As for the rest, I've killed more than two dozen javelina using rifles from a .22 mag up to my trusty .264, a bow, a .357 S&W M19 and a crossbow. They don't take a lot of killing as long as you realize the limitations of whatever you're using and adjust for such.

The best way to locate them in AZ is by glassing -- and then glass some more. We generally use 15x binocs on a tripod. Once you find a herd, getting close is rarely a problem as long as you stalk them into the wind and keep the noise to a minimum.

For many years, I held a week-long hunt here in AZ for guys from all over the country. It got to be a real tradition, with several of the guys making nearly every hunt over more than a decade. Most of them came for the food I served rather than the hunting, though. Roll Eyes

Rather than hunt state lands, we would apply as a group for the 1st-come permits on either the San Carlos or White Mt. Apache Res. That way, we pretty much knew we all got permits. Plus, for NRs, the indian permits were cheaper than the state hunting license & tag.

Javelina meat is quite tasty in several ways, but like most game, it's how you take care of it when you kill it that makes the big difference.

Skinning and cooling it as quickly as possible is the key, and AVOID handling or cutting into the dorsal scent gland on the back just in front of the tail. DO NOT attempt to cut it out; just skin the pig normally and it will come right off intact.

If you have someone who knows how to barbeque lean game animals, the meat is delicious that way. I generally take an already BBQed hunk, slice it a 1/4" thick and place it on an elevated rack over a shallow pan with a 1/2" of water in it. Cover the upper surface of it with your favorite BBQ sauce and slowly reheat it in the oven at 275-300 deg. for about 15 mins. The water reconstitutes some of the moisture without making it taste like it was boiled.

It is also good smoked, ala like one would do with salmon or summer sausage. Although it is dry this way, it is quite flavorful and almost like jerky. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted them in Arizona, but have been operating a Guided Javelina hunt service in far west Texas for 11 years now.

As was mentioned, depending on what is legal in Arizona, anything from a 22 Hornet on up will kill a javelina.

as for pistols, a 38 special/9mm and up will also do the job.

The main thing to consider is working into the wind.

Javelina have terrible eyesight, but a good sense of smell.

You can check out our website, the address is in my signature, the pictures of the live javelina were taken this last May at ranges down to less than 5 yards .

Even though I am not an archer, they are excellent animals to go after with a bow or crossbow.

Also on our website my wife has listed several recipes that while not specifically for javelina, will work really well for javelina.

Javelina have little or no fat on them so the meat really neeeds to be cooked slow and at a low temperature.

The exception I have found, is to split the animal lengthwise down the spine, and then make bone-in chops and grill them.

The bone seems to keep the meat moister. They are excellent grilled over a mesquite fire.

Good Luck.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote