THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: South Texas Hog/Aoudad Hunt Questions

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: South Texas Hog/Aoudad Hunt Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
270. should work fine. As ever it's the rifleman and not the rifle. Remember that hogs have their vitals a bit more forward than deer. Aoudad have a lot of hair hanging from their chests, so be sure not to shoot too low. They've also got darned good eyes. Trees are about leafed out, so visibility will be short in wooded areas. Good luck. If you get your ram early consider using dogs to run a pig or two and take it with a knife - it beats busting them at long distance with a gun.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY's statement was correct. The same is true for Aoudad's. We had the most success hunting them at this time of year, i.e. spring, early summer.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
You should really talk to your guide about the timing of your hunt. Hogs can be hunted successfully year-round, and I'm inclined to believe the same is true for the Aoudads.

However, I can assure you that the 150-gr. Partition load you mention will be way more than adequate for the porkers and the Aoudad. That's a great choice for both.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote