New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mulie and Spike bull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Linda killed her buck the second weekend of the season (Oct. 23) . She made a nice 150 yard shot with her Kimber 308 and 165gr. Partitions. It was a long drag to the truck but we were back home and eating the tenderloins for dinner.

This past weekend we headed up to the nearby national forest and I killed this spike bull. Eastern Washington is mostly spike bull, unless you draw a quality tag which I have been putting in for the last 14 years. I ranged him across the canyon at 411 yards. Shooting my Mod 70 30-06 with 180 gr. Partition hand loads across my pack, I shot 6 times and hit him 3, all in the shoulder area. Any would have been fatal, but I always keep shooting until they are down. It was really good shooting for me and boy was it fun.

Linda’s 2 brothers were along. They both archery hunt and came up just to help out in a situation like this. A 300 hundred yard pack to the top of the ridge and then at least 2 miles to the truck at the gate of the forest service road. Everything was in camp by dark and we were eating back strap steaks for dinner. There isn’t a meal in this world that I enjoy any more than that.

We use a Cabela’s bighorn tent on these hunts with a small stove. One thing that worked out great, that I had never done before was to just take along 20 presto logs. I put them in a Tupperware tote and boy was it nice. No chainsaws, splitting mauls or gas cans. 2 or 3 would heat all night. It worked great on these short hunts and from the ice and fuel store, they were only $1.10 each.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both. Looks like you will have a full freezer.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Congradulations to you and Linda for a successful hunt beer

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a successfull couple of weeks!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
just plain folks doing what they were made to do. congrats hope you have many more of these hunts. love the presto log idea not ready to give up my saw and maul but love the idea.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Excellent job! Being a "Native" of Central Washington I know how hard it is with the true spike rules. Good shooting!

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats,now the good eating starts!!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote