Find
Notify
Tools

TX Joining Wildlife Compact
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
AUSTIN, Texas - Game law violators in Texas could face additional consequences for their actions under an interstate agreement recognizing suspension of hunting, fishing and trapping licenses in other states.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved a regulation for Texas to join 31 other states currently participating in the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

The Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact is an agreement that unresolved hunting and fishing violations in one state can affect a person's hunting or fishing privileges in other participating states. Any person whose license privileges or rights are suspended in a member state could also be denied future purchase of a license in Texas until they have satisfied suspension in the other state. If a person's hunting, fishing, or trapping rights are suspended in Texas, they may also be suspended in member states as well.

"This cooperative interstate effort will enhance Texas game wardens' ability to protect and manage our wildlife resources," said Maj. David Sinclair, chief of fisheries and wildlife enforcement with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. "If a person plans to hunt, fish, or trap in Texas and they have a license suspension in another state, this compact allows us to deny them a license. The same will hold true for a Texan with a suspended license looking to hunt or fish elsewhere."

The Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact also establishes a process whereby wildlife law violations by a non-resident from a member state are handled as if the person were a resident, meaning they can be served a ticket rather than being arrested, booked, and bonded. This process is a convenience for hunters, fishermen, and trappers of member states, and increases efficiency of game wardens by allowing more time for enforcement duties rather than violator processing procedures.

The concept of a wildlife violator compact was first advanced in the early 1980s by member states in the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. Law enforcement administrators and wildlife commissioners from several states began discussing the idea of a compact based on the format of the existing Drivers License Compact and Non-Resident Violator Compact, both of these related to motor vehicle operator licensing and enforcement.

In 1985 draft compacts were developed independently in Colorado and Nevada. Subsequently, these drafts were merged and the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact was created.

In 1989, compact legislation was passed into law in Colorado, Nevada and Oregon. These three states formed the nucleus of the Compact.

TPWD will be developing policies and procedures, but no timeline has been set for formally joining the Compact.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see no downside to something like this.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only downside I might possibly see is if a person makes an honest mistake in one state, as long as he pays the fines etc, it shouldn't prevent him from hunting in his home state.
Gross violations not withstanding of course.

I'd also be concerned about one state being forced to enforce the laws of another, especially if they contradict in some way.

Also, I'd like to see all states involved in this pact recognize each others "right to carry" laws concerning carrying a side arm. So, if I'm legal and have a licence for concealed carry in TX and am hunting somewhere else, I would like to be able to carry my sidearm.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
In general, "honest mistakes" usually don't result in license suspensions. And it's only when such kicks in that the compact has implications in other states.

As for CC, it's a non-issue to this topic because the laws that regulate such are not associated with G&F regulations but with the various states' firearm's laws that apply to EVERY citizen and not just those with hunting licenses.

The compact is really not a regulatory tool; it's a punitive one that has no real regulations/laws other than a state will recognize the license suspension from another state for only the period of that suspension. States cannot impose any stiffer penalties than the initial one.

Here is the exact wording of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote