Notify
Tools

30 mm or 1 inch scope tubes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
Ok,

It seems that according to the top end scope poll that Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski are in a total class by themselves in terms of quality.

Next questions
1.) 30mm or 1 inch tube
2.) 40mm objective or 50+ objective
Lets assume primary game to be North American deer, elk, moose, not DG.

Choices:
30 mm tube
1 inch tube

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh W:
Ok,

It seems that according to the top end scope poll that Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski are in a total class by themselves in terms of quality.

Yes, this is true. And since those top end scopes are being considered, why not go with the 30mm tube? You'd be better served by talking with Jim Bordon about it but the 30mm tube is superior. Look to him for the explanation. Phone: (570) 965-2505.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30mm tubes add bulk look clumsy sit higher and give more adjustment which shouldn't be needed with quality mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a whole lot of what is going on in the gun industry at this time is merely a copy of the car industry: Take the same basic car and give it a twist; some fool will buy it 'cause its the latest and hottest. As Alexander King said 50 years ago, "with enough hype you can sell foil wrapped goat shit". Actually, P.T. Barnum said it best.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30mm tube is designed for long range shooting and allows more scope adjustment. If you are not a long range shooter then 1" makes more sense. The 50mm objective is designed for more light but a premium 40mm is hard to beat and the 40mm allows for lower mounts.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically, it is the difference between 25.6 mm and 30 mm (if I remember by conversions correctly). I am not sure that 4.4 mm makes that big of a difference, but it may. I guess it all depends on how your eye sees things through the scope.

Posts: 10375 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
dwighty has it right, most of the time, the internals on 1 inch or 30mm are the same size. else, if the 30mm internals were larger, you'd lose the range of adjustment. if you look at the % of light transmitted on any good scope, it weill be arounf 95+ p[ercent. II dont know any human that can differentiate the higher %'s. And anyway, when given the stress of a shot, your heart beating and moving the gun will have more affect on your ability to make the shot than any marginal difference in coinstruction--B

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
also, it must be remembered that just because the euorpeans make something 30mm and we only do 1 inch doesnt make it better. Its probably due to the 2 different measuring systems, meteric and standard, after all, if you were a german, wouldnt it make more sense to make a 30mm tube versus a 25.4 mm tube? It's just a natural extension of the way things are done in respect to the different measuring systems, B