THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Kansas whitetail results (pics) [big game]

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Kansas whitetail results (pics) [big game]
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Doc--Did you also tell your taxidermist you shot that deer with a whimmpy 30-06? No wonder he didnt believe you. Everybody knows it takes a magnum to kill a deer,otherwise they just run off laughing at you.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Doc, that is one massive deer.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Doc--Did you also tell your taxidermist you shot that deer with a whimmpy 30-06? No wonder he didnt believe you. Everybody knows it takes a magnum to kill a deer,otherwise they just run off laughing at you.

I actually have heard a deer laughing after a hunter shot it with a 243. Kidding, but that deer ran over a couple hundred yards and the hit was good.

I also recently watched a big bull elk fall to a 308 using Winchester factory 150 grain power points. That shot was about 90 yards. The elk leaped up into the air, ran about 10 yards and laid down. It took it about ten minutes to die.

This is the first year I've ever used an .06 for anything. I've carried it plenty of times but never had a chance at a deer. So far I've taken quite a few this year with this setup and I'm quite pleased. Not one deer stepped after the shot.

I did tell the taxidermist what I used. He said that he really hates ballistic tips.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc--You further confirmed my thoughts. That being you don't know till you pull the trigger. I hit one with 30-06 that should have been dead right there. He got to his feet and staggered a couple hundred yards. Grandson hit one about same spot--about same size deer with a .222 and it went maybe 100 feet. No,not trying to develop that a .222 is better than 30-06---just that all the predictions on paper don't work.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, I saw the carcass flicks before these and that was the reason for the questions about the hunt on that thread.

Congratulations on the fine Buck. Sure looks like you are having an excellent hunting year.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sure looks like you are having an excellent hunting year.

I am!! And just think, I have yet to post all the pictures of some other hunts!! I've been very fortunate this year.