Find
Notify
Tools

Third antler
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
There's a nice chunk of land in northern Minnesota that I've have access to hunt for a few years, and the landowner recently sent me a couple of trail cam videos from last month. Both show bucks that I'd be happy to take home but I'm curious about one in particular.

Any ideas on what could have caused that spike to be growing between his right ear and eye? You can see what looks like some velvet hanging off the base of his right antler in the video.

Here's the other deer, a nice 9 point buck.

I shot a spike buck there last November and have yet to see any deer of that size in the area. Of course I'm happy to shoot whatever legal deer I see but I definitely hope they do stick around.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be what we call a sticker. I may not be another antler. I have shot quite a few like this over the years .

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it sure looks to stick out of the side of the head and not be attached ion any way to the one above it..I have seen pics of deer with two main beams on one side. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may be right . When I saw it the first time it was on my I phone. Looks different on a full screen .

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago a buddy f mine in VA got a buck with a 3rd antler. It was a nice heavy 8 point and it had another spike antler that stuck out juts above the left ear. When we caped the head it was easy to see it came from its own base and wasn't part of the normal antler.

By the way, deer aren't the only things that have a 3rd antler/horn. I took this pronghorn in CO last year and it had a 3rd horn coming out the bridge of the nose.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
every once in a while we just get a strange set of horns. Like 3 beams on a elk

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
My brother and I are seeing about these deer tomorrow. I have my .270 sighted in with 130 gr Sierra Gamekings and can't wait. Crossing my fingers they are still alive and in the area.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the freaks out there!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bull is really something. I've seen a ton of bulls out in Wyoming over the last 20 years or so and never anything remotely as crazy as that one!