THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    merino wool underlayer vs fleece or polyester?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

merino wool underlayer vs fleece or polyester?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
looking for any feedback based on a three to five day backwoods test based on experience.
backpack hunters.

thanks
jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
My experience is with polypropolene (Helly Hansen), polyester of various kinds (Thermax, Thermastat, Comfortrel) and merino wool (Stanfields Superwash, Windsor Wear and Ullfrotté Original). Polypropolene is the least desirable, especially the old stuff. It retains body odor and pills up into hard little lumps. I have no experience with any polypropolene of current manufacture (so those problems may no longer exist), only because polyester and merino wool work so well. For extended wear with periods of extreme exertion, quality polyester fiber and merino wool both work well. Polyester dries quicker, but merino wool is warmer overall. I feel more comfortable overall either with a lightweight polyester base and a merino wool mid layer or with just merino wool. It is probably more important to layer and remove those layers as exertion (and perspiration) increases and use a shell that breaks the wind yet breathes than whether synthetic or merino wool are used.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I've always found that merino wool retains it's loft and insulation value better than synthetics, especially if end up wearing it for 2-3 days straight.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience in the roughh climate of B.C. and Alberta mirrors Jackfishes. I still have and use polyester longjohns (camo) from BassPro and they are fine, under fleece into early Oct. For serious cold weather wear, the finest I have ever used was "Mellofleece" merino wool from England. I now prefer merino wool for any use and that's all I will buy, in future.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I see Duofold has midweight 100% merino wool long underwear. I will probably buy a set to compare with Stanfields, Windsor and SmartWool. Probably a pretty good value at $30 a piece. $25 cheaper than SmartWool. This style is not listed on their current website. So if they are discontinued you might want to act now.

Duofold Pure Merino Wool Midweight Thermal Long Sleeve Crew

Duofold Pure Merino Wool Midweight Thermal Bottom

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any body try the duofold stuff yet? is it itchy like filsons merino?

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you find the Filson's too itchy you might be better off going with synthetics. I think that the Polartech Powerdry and/or Powerstretch is the best of the synthetics. Filson is the best of the wools that I've tried.......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting review of wool base-layers:

http://www.planetfear.net/climbing/highmountainmag/equipmentnotes/february2004/feb03-2.html

........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My new favorite combo is light fleece next to my hide with a heavy wool shirt over. I just got a Cabelas Alaska wool shirt for Christmas. Pretty nice stuff and on sale if I remember correctly. If needed a windproof layer over top. I tried to put a windproof layer over it out in Wyoming hunting elk last November. It was too much at 3 degrees while climbing hill and dale. Same in the deer stand in GA in December if the wind wasn't too bad.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still prefer a layer of polypropelene next to my skin in colder weather.I have not had the problems that some others have referred to .

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The Comfortrel Polyester from Sierra Trading Post is probably the best value going in synthetic long underwear. It performs as well or better than polypropolene or polyester variants that cost up to three times as much. Try it, you'll like it. But try merino wool too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jackfish, Don't tell to many people about all the great deals at Sierra Trading Post, they might snatch up some of the best deals before we get a chance too.... Smiler Smiler.....DJ

(I'm kidding of course, I have gotten some great deals from them though. Hopefully some others can too)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One item you may want to take into consideration is flammability. If you camp much while you hunt or whatever, and you are near a flame source, the potential exists for your synthetic (polypro etc.) long underwear to melt to your skin if you somehow caught it on fire. Wool would not do this. This has happened to certain individuals in the past and the results are not pretty.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I frequently hunt-hike-camp alone and in remote areas where rescue in the event of injury is unlikely due to weather, etc. This is one of the major reasons that I vastly prefer woolen garments over synthetics as I once had a nasty experience with a poly-fleece jacket and a flaring backpack stove. Caution in the wilderness is NOT a sign of cowardice; it is a sign of commonsense and maturity.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Duofold merino/poly long underwear for a while both hunting and on the job. I do physical, sweaty, work outside a lot in Montana in the winter. I've tried straight poly and it tends to stink at the end of the day, even if clean in the morning, on extended hunts, gag... The wool is very warm drys fast enough and doesn't stink half as much.

Proper layering is the key to happiness in any weather. Avoid "wind-breaker" clothing if you are sweating heavily, it inhibits evaporation of sweat and will just make you colder in the end. Stacking layers of "breathable" wool will keep you warm no matter what. Framing a house at 15 below with a light breeze is a great way to see what actually "works".

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote