New
Find
Notify
Tools

seven shots opening day?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was out for the opening of backcountry deer and elk rifle season, that morning I heard four shots and a short pause followed by another three. Thought about it for awhile no telling what was going on, a lot of missing I guess. Also heard my first elk bugle in the middle of the nite 3 times over 20 min.

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
<merkelmeister>
posted
If you heard your first elk bugle, you will never forget it. keep on listening and you will stop sleeping well during the hunting season!!! Only 21 days until Idaho back country for my elk bugle chances...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never heard any bugles on opening day,but,hunting Public Land in new York,I have heard some shooting,especially on opening day.
The best event was in Deleware County,awhile back.I could count 12 shots.I figured it was two or more Hunters.Later,I met the Local,who lives just down the road from our cabin.He had ripped the shots off himself,with a GI carbine.I don't know why only 12 shots;he probably had a jam.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Frank, that was funny.
Except we have the same thing here with the SKS and I guess they don't jam that often. Wish they would.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Merkelmeister

You're counting days till the 10th of October, too? I fly out of Richmond, VA on the 8th to Spokane. Hope to make it to my trailhead (ID Unit 7) by midnight that night. I'll hunt the 10th through the 15th, hike out the 16th.

Good luck,

Tim

[ 09-22-2002, 06:59: Message edited by: tarbe ]

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you should hear the duck season opener in AK, I dont think D-day could be that loud.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote