THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for a place to take my son hunting...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a place to take my son hunting...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted
Three changes of jobs this summer, and uncertain income prospects, made me afraid to spend the money to join a hunting club.

Now I am again in the career that chose me, and the money is steady. But good clubs don't take on new members this time of year.

My 10-year-old son, Adam, has hunted with me since he was four, and is eager to continue. I don't want him to lose his enthusiasm.

Adam is a young hunter in the early stages of learning, and I want to take him to places where he can learn the RIGHT way to hunt: respect for the land, the landowner, the game and his fellow hunters, without the hassles of hunters drinking alcohol, illegal activities, etc.

We live in Baldwin County, Alabama, and would like to find a place within 100 or so miles, if possible, but would travel farther if we need to.

If you know or hear of a place where we can hunt, legally and ethically, with others who hunt the same way, please let me know ASAP.

And please share my search with your family, friends and neighbors, too.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
surely a club would take you this time of year if you put it like that! Tell them you're not doing it for you, and introduce your son to them, if possible! good luck! I can't wait until my daughter is able to accompany me in the woods. she's only 5 months old...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great looking young man!!
Awesome smile too.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were in upper Alabama I could find you a place, but do not know of anything sdown there.
Have you ever looked at AlDeer? They are hunters from Alabama and are a great bunch of guys, We have several members from your neck of the woods that I am sure would be glad to take you and your son hunting. Mention Judge Sharpe and Doekiller and they might give you some gruff, but someone will come throughfor you.
AlDeer.com- signon read "Free Beer" and join the fray.
Good luck to you and your son.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
first off,where do you live?
second ,buy that boy a proper orange vest,one that shows plenty of orange in the front.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
724wd, it doesn't work that way around here. The clubs lease their land, then take in members to get the acres/hunter ratio where they want it to prevent crowding. The members have spent the whole summer planting, cultivating and maybe hauling water to them. The have worked hard at maintaining and gating roads, and fighting the never-ending battle against trespassers. They would not appreciate a new member coming in with only a dues payment, when all the other members have so much "sweat equity" invested in their hunting land. I understand this, and agree with it, having "been there and done that" myself. But most local clubs have policies of allowing guests, for a fee, when accompanied by a sponsoring member. That is probably the best I can hope for at this late date. I would not even consider asking for myself, but for my son, I will ask for invitations, and even grovel and beg if necessary!!!

DMB, thanks!! His mother and I think so, too!! That other pic is two years old. He has grown and matured quite a bit since then. This is one from July of this year.

Judge Sharpe, thanks. As for Aldeer.com, no thanks. I have been there and done that, too, and have found a large percentage of the members there, and especially the administration of the site, to be the type of people that I prefer NOT to be around. I much prefer the folks here(with the exception of the political forum, of course). I will be around Shelby County from 26 November to 08 December. If you are in that area around that time, I would be honored to meet you one evening and indulge with you in the adult beverage of your choice.

jb, you have a private message.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well it's a shame you're not closer to New Mexico. I'd be happy to take you and your young hunter out calling coyotes and hunting quail. It's not sexy, but it's fun. Good luck in your search.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DesertRam. Maybe next fall?

NO COMPROMISE !!!

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
well, good luck in your search. I understand the sweat equity and the leasing of land, but thankfully, I have yet encounter that in my area. there are a few leased parcels, some by hunting clubs, but we're luck to still have an abundance of friendly neighbors and public land. I only hope that is still the case when my daughter gets to the age when, I hope, she wants to accompany me in the woods.

heath

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wingnut,
I am sorry that you have had a bad experence with AlDeer. The ones I ahve met have been great guys as a whole.
If you want to, e-mail me and give me a contact number. WilliamBrower@bellsouth.net. I will listen out for hunting oppertunities for you and Adam.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingnut:
Thanks, DesertRam. Maybe next fall?

You make it this far west, and we'll go give 'em hell, that's for sure. Big Grin

Good luck.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
PM sent, JudgeSharpe.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
wingnut - if you and your boy are ever headed to montana in the fall, please let me know. there is a lot of prime deer, elk and antelope habitat to be hunted for the cost of the tag and the gas to get there.

i'd be more than happy to show you guys around with my own kids.

good luck -

ron

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
We spent three weeks in Western Montana, June-July 2006. Can't wait to get back, and plan to do so, permanently, ASAP.

Hopefully, we will be residents of Montana by the time the 2009-10 hunting season rolls around. If we can come for a visit in the meantime, you can count on hearing from us, and most definitely so after we move !!!!

NO COMPROMISE !!!