New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book pertaining to woodsmanship..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Iam looking for a modern book pertaining to woodsmanship, hunting, camp setup, prospecting, game processing, etc.

Basically a book that covers what it takes to live off the land in North America.

TIA..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I holding a copy of ON YOUR OWN in theWILDERNESS by Colonel Townsend Whelen and Bradford Angier That is fairly decent it is a little dated as far as equipment goes but has some good ideas. The Complete Walker by Colin Flectcher as a bunch of back packing ideas. A lot of the new stuff is written by envo wakos that want you to hug bears instead of carring a good rifle. What you need to do is read 3 or 4 of them take what you like and throw away the rest. Then go a couple of week long trips with some one that has done it before. You well soon find out what works for you and what does not. When the old timer tells you that you most likely are carring to much weight and you should leave that fancy item home you can't live with out. He is most llkely right. have fun.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sakofan, perhaps there is just one, all inclusive book out there that addresses all your questions, but if so, I don't know about it. Perhaps others here, do. As for "prospecting," I doubt seriously you'll find a section of a"camping/hunting" book, on gold prospecting. You'll need a book or two, specicically devoted to prospecting for that.

But, one of the best "more modern" books on outdoor living and hunting, is "The Complete Book of Practical Camping," by the late author, John Jobson. You'll probably have to go to Amazon for that one, but it's worth it.

"Living off the land," sounds mighty romantic, getting back to Nature, and all that, but on a practical basis, it's nearly impossible in today's modern, and very restrictive world. But being out in the boonies for a few days, is not only fun, but educational. Knowing how to "get by" in the boonies, is necessary, if one will be out busting the bushes a lot. You never know what might cause a real emergency.

The Boy Scout motto is very applicable. "BE PREPARED."

Have fun. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy reading about wilderness adventure and survival techniques. I dont plan to run off and become Jeremiah Johnson, LOL.

Thanks for your responses. I enjoy reading about how the old timers made it. And, I want to refine my wilderness skills. It's kinda like my ol' magazine, "Fur-Fish-Game".
I havent set a trap in almost 25 years, but I love reading about it!!

There is, or was a book out by a man, a trapper, hunter and such, that covered prospecting, fur trapping, cabin building, and whatnot. I may look for that one. I believe the mans last name was(Daily)?? Maybe not...Thanks again..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sakofan,

Like you I would love a modern book covering all of these topics with the most up to date info etc. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find one.

A few of the books I can recommend....

1.) The Essential Outdoor Gear Manual by Getchell & Getchell (great gear manual & how to maintain & fix gear)
2.) LL Bean Guide to the Outdoors by LL Bean (Lots of general knowledge.)
3.) Hunting Fishing & Camping by LL Bean (I really like this book. Old time knowledge written by LL himself.)
4.) Campings Forgotten Skills by Cliff Jacobson
5.) Campings Top Secrets by Cliff Jacobson
6.) Boundary Waters Canoe Camping by Cliff Jacobson (Jacobson's books have solid "oldtimers" type wisdom.)
7.) Camping & Woodcraft by Kephart (old text receintly in print again. Probably close to what you are looking
for except it doesn't contain modern equipment & ideas. Cliff Jacobson gets
alot of ideas from Kephart.)

Bottom line...I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. Instead you'll probably need to purchase
alot of books from different sources as well as eras to get the full specturm. I like the modern gear & clothing and tips but, can't stand the bunny hugger Left Wing ideology. From what I can tell the oldtimers had MUCH better woodsman skills w/o hightech equipment. What I am starting to do is search out books written about mountain men & sour doughs who lived their whole lives in the wilderness. Much of the day to day skills these men used are really worth knowing. To that end check out books by Jim Reardon a long time contributor to I believe Outdoor Life. Alaska's Wolfman & Jim Reardon's Alaska are both good books.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I appeciate your informative response. I will check into those..sakofan..Thank's

one of us
posted Hide Post
sakofan,

I have the book you refer to but can't seem to be able to put my hands on it at the moment.

I have several of the old Harding books as well as many old issues of ff&g and some extinct publications as well.

All the books and magazines are fun to read but most of the info is sorely outdated.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote