New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli R1 Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any one have any first hand experience with the Benelli R1? Yes, I know it looks like hell (hate the futuristic ray-gun look, but love my Benelli Super Black Eagle shotgun). Benelli makes a very good quality / reliable autoloader; just wondering how accurate it is compared to Browning BAR.

No trolls or bashers please. I know all about the looks and like a auto-loader for thick woods drives and still hunts. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
I shot my buddy's R1 the other day, and it's pretty accurate with factory ammo...

Edit to say.... I never broke the gun down, and even my buddy didn't know it was a gas gun, so I informed him and he laughed.

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh, I think Capstick must have shot something else, the R1 is indeed a gas operated rifle. Their data calls it something like ARGO I think, automatic regulating gas operated, or something close to that acronym. I have shot one in .270 WSM, and will probably get one some day, it's recoil is similar to my BAR in same caliber, maybe a hair less. It was plenty accurate at 100 yards, my friend was shooting Federal premium NBT's-- factory stuff, 130 and 150 grains, and both grouped well, about an inch, different point of impact of course, but groups slightly better with the lighter bullets. I like their free floating barrel system.(and the 'ray gun' looks too!)

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've tested the Argo in .300 Win for a hunting magazine. Very well made and the most accurate semi-auto I shot. One feature I was very appreciative of : this is a selfloader you can clean from the breech end. Another unique feature is that you can swap bbls./calibers.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote