Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Utah Elk 2011
 Login/Join

posted
Just back from a great week. Looked long and hard in September and couldn't get it done on a big enough bull. I was looking for really big, or really cool, or really old. Ended up with the latter, but was really cool and old. Spotted this bull at 1500 yards, moved to 1061 and watched him and four other bulls feed, then bed. This bull was truly the dominant of the group. He had a sway back and really flat pedestals, so I figured him older. It was Thursday morning, and I love whacking a bull in morning with a lot of light to take care of him and get out. So I debated for an hour and a half, then glazed over, the chase was on, 1030am. Little cover, so I did the Tommy Land approach of going right at him (kind of). Too steep to go in a straight line, so used what little cover there was.

Debated at 582 yards whether to throw one up at him, but with elk, that is too far for a reliable kill. My goal was two cedar trees that I felt would give me a 200 yard poke. When I hit the creek and started my ascent an hour later, I had fallen down twice and the bulls had stirred, then bedded again as I waited for them to calm down. On the uphill side the wind was hitting me right in the back, and I didn't know if they would be there when I made it up the hill. I altered my stalk to try to get a better wind, but at 300 yards, I couldn't see the bulls. So I backed out, looped around in a little depression and came out at the target tree. I could see the bull's head and antlers at 171 yards. The brush was so high I couldn't get on my sticks with any stability, so cranked my tripod legs out half way and extended the neck up, tipping my scope over for a rest. I had to kneel to see just over the brush. I have never fired a shot kneeling before, so I was a little unsettled.

I got my pack off, calmed myself and settled in for a long wait as it was about 1230pm. I had to wait less than 5 minutes when he stood up, stretched and I put the cross hairs on his right shoulder. I wanted to break his shoulders and get him down fast. I hit him hard the first shot, breaking his right shoulder, through his heart (both ventricles), then up through his left lung and stopped under the hide at the base of his neck. As he stood stunned, I jacked another on in and pounded him again through his diaphragm and both lung bases. I hammered a third one into the chamber as he tipped over. "Dang it! I wanted to get a third one in before he fell over". He didn't even wiggle. So I followed our guiding adage of "Shoot him again before he dies!" It worked.

I gathered my wits and my gear and started up to him. The other four bulls didn't stand up until I got 75 yards away, and then they just stood and looked at me like, where did you come from.

Great bull. 54 inch beams, 41 inch inside and really gnarly bases. He was 9 or 10 years old. A great bull to harvest and it was really a great experience all around. Great spot, great stalk, great shot, great bull.

Gear:

Rifle: D'Arcy Echols Long Range Legend, 300 wby
Bullet: 200 grain accubond - perfect performance, 64% wt retention
Scope: Leupold Vari X III 4.5 - 14
Binoculars: Leica Geovid 10x42 HD
Spotting Scope: Swarovski 65 mm HD
Tripod: Manfrotto 190XV with 501 head
Pack: Nimrod, outfitters with custom length scabbard

Deer hunt not so good. Winter mortality greater than 50% it would appear. Will take a while to recover.

Good hunting.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull. Thanks for the report as I made that stalk with you Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man that is a Brute. Thanks for the great story and pictures.
Makes me miss UT even more.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VEry nice! tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story on a great hunt! I do not know much about elk but he looks like a really good bull.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Here is a link to the stock route.

https://docs.google.com/viewer...mwqAqHPHFI3Gcw&pli=1

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Brilliant! Great bull! Nice rifle too Wink

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pepper,

Nice bull! I'm liking those Accubonds more all the time.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great bull - Great hunt!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing quite like letting the air
Out of a big "tan side"
Congrats

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pepper,

How long have you had an Echols Legend?

Where you hunting DL&L

Bret

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bret

I have owned my Echols Legend for about ten years. Flawless performance. The only problem I have had is the "jerk" on the trigger . . . me. Still get nervy after a lifetime of slapping the hammer.

Yes to DL&L.

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Great story and beautiful photos. congratulations!

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull and a great report.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pepper,

Where have you hunted with your Echols Legend?

Have you hunted DL&L before? If so what differences are you seeing with the new management?

Nice Bull.

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah. Lots of antelope, deer, elk, and coyotes.

Have been hunting there since age 8.

rpm

posted Hide Post
Nice bull Pepper! See you in vegas. Hope to have a mountain goat story for you then, no cats this year

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Great story enjoyed on the other side of the world!

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote