THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: What Did You Forget 500 Miles from Home

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What Did You Forget 500 Miles from Home
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
Oscar: The gun was coming fron a state of storage and I didn't bother with the lock untill I uncased the gun. Bad mistake and I learned.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went on a horseback pack in elk hunt years a go and there were 5 of us in camp and not a one of us brought a f-ing can opener. After this my brother and I put all our camping stuff, dishes, etc in one big bag and we don't worry about leaving anything.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took some time off from an Outfitter I was working for to go sheep hunting back home. I left my sheep rifle back at the Outfitter's ranch. It wasn't the end of the world, though. I just had to carry around my 9 lb. .338 Win.

I forgot my down sleeping bag on a week long bison hunt in -30 degree weather. Lucky for me, a friend brought along an extra bag. I felt like a dork.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't 500 miles from home, but I did forget my bolt one day as dad and I were heading out. I didn't find out until we were packing up and ready to leave the truck. He really layed into me for about a week on how I forgot my bolt. It was a big joke to tell all his friends.

The next sunday we were heading out, a week to the day, he forgot his bolt.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started bowhunting, still in high school, I went behind the house to my deer stand early one morning and didn't realize I had forgotten my contacts until after it was light. Did manage to arrow a very blurry rabbet on the walk back, which made me feel aliitle less like an idiot.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camera batteries in the middle of Alaska.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well, last Friday afternoon after driving 1080 miles to Medicine Bow, Wyoming for an antelope hunt I found that I didn't have a set on binoculars with me. Luckily, one of my buddies had an extra set.

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
A friend and I went down to the Imperial Valley of Southern California for some quail hunting, on the spur of the moment after work and I forgot my entire bag of clothing AND MY SLEEPING BAG, right there in my driveway.

I slept that night in the bed of my truck covering the upper half of my body with a towel. At 6'7", 300 pounds and a size 15EEEE boot, I had no choice but to wear what I had on..I hunted the next day in flip flop sandals, gym shorts and a tanktop, sunburned and blood pouring down my legs and feet...some of the best hunting I've ever had though!!!

Another time, we took a two day tuna boat to Mexico. Under the impression the boat had a galley, we took only a change of clothes, and a cooler with a few beers and ice for the fish and....no food.

It was a long two days.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i forgot my tags one morrning. that was not a big problem as i got a bigger mule deer later that fall. i felt like an assbut hey i just turn and look at what i got.

about 1 in 10 trips to the range i forget something. last time it was the 777 pellets.

i always have shit tickets in the glove box of my truck. and i have the trigger lock keys on my everyday key ring.

i always go tags, rife and then ammunition. that way i can hunt.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since two years I have always one 30/06 round hidden in my car.

Can you guess why?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
Once got some 1200 miles from home and realized I'd left my rifle bolt behind. Damn the luck, had to run into town and buy a brand new rifle. Couldn't figure it out, but the only thing in stock at the local gun store were Model 70 Supergrades. Kinda hate it when that happens

Hank

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I nearly blew it in July.

I did a super job of getting everything ordered on the Internet from India and shipped to a hotel in Dallas I would be arriving at. Then ran around Dallas for a week trying to buy last minute items. Felt good about everything.

Flew from Dallas to Toronto to Edmonton and overnighted. Still everything looking good. Got to the airport in time the next morning. Sat around for a few hours. Then decided to take a picture of the planes and some yellow flowers in between the runways. They were announcing boarding just as I took the shot, and the camera shut down. The battery had died. It was a new battery I had just bought a few weeks earlier. I raced for the news stand as the people loaded onto my Yellowknife flight. I bought two sets and raced back to the gate. Had I not decided to take that one photo I would have been sitting up in the middle of the MacKenzie Mountains the next day with a dead camera.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Which is EXACTLY why I disabled that fancy bolt lock on my Rem. 700 as soon as it had the scope mounted!

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote