New
Find
Notify
Tools

carbines
 Login/Join

<bighorn>
posted
Anyone had any practical hunting experience with the short barreled rifles in bigger calibers such as 338 saum necked up from 300 saum or 350 rem mag?. I would like opinions on the efficiency of these rounds in short (20"-22") barrels. Game hunted would be elk, deer, bear, and maybe a trip to Alaska for sheep and goat. My normal hunting range is no greater than 350yds. After huntnig with a standard 300 win mag for the past 20 years and looking down at my midsection I decided to change something ("it won't be the midsection"). thanks bighorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bighorn - I haven't had any experience in the calibers you specify but I fell in love with packing carbines for hunting years ago. I've hunted with the Remington Mohawks in .308 and their 18" barrel and my .458 American was only 20" long. And I've had carbines in /06 and 8mm.

Frankly I've never felt at any disadvantage whatsoever. Sure you lose a small percentage of velocity...but all of the cartridges you specify have velocity to spare. No big deal. In short, I think the advantages of short handy rifles far out weigh any disadvantages and the very small performance loss is of no consequence for 95% of all hunting situations.

If it is recoil you are concerned about, it seems to me such short rifles don't "kick" any harder. The difference shows in muzzle climb. Maybe it's just me, but the muzzle wants to go UP rather than the rifle coming back harder. Again, this is no big deal. Hope some of this helps.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a short rifle, or a light rifle ?
The Remington Custom Shop makes some nice Mod. 7 carbines.
Mel Forbes makes some really nice light rifles. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bighorn,

I have done a fair bit of hunting since '99 with a pair of carbines: a Steyr Scout .308 Win with 19" barrel, and more recently a .376 Steyr ProHunter with 20" barrel. These rifles handle well, and I have yet to notice any liability in the field with the shorter barrels.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with HunterJim. I have used a 20" Steyr 308 an 18" Remington Mod 7 308, a 20" mod 7 350Mag, an 18" H&K91 and a 20" Sako 375 H&H. I did not notice any reduced performance with the short barrels. The H&K and the Rem mod 7 308 even shot good at 600 yards on the target range. All the other rifles shot good at 300 yards [which was the longest distance they were shot on paper].

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I'm currently useing a Mannlicher stocked 338 Win Mag with a 20.5" barrel. Naturally you lose some velocity but it worked well on the elk I shot in December. Recoil seems no worse than a normal length 338 although there is a little more muzzle blast. Considering the slight velocity tradeoff I still think they are well worth while due to the very handy feel they have. Mine points well and is as accurate as I could expect from any 338.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil would have to be a factor, but liveable. I've hunted for many years with a Remington Model 600 in .308 Win. I never minded the extra kick; most of it seemed to be "up" rather than "back" anyway. The pay-back was carrying that little jewel up and down mountains all day long, through heavy brush and trees. That more than made up for any additional pop it might deliver once or twice during a hunt to my shoulder, or any slight loss in velocity.

Carbines never get the credit they deserve.

Sounds like you've got the background with the 300 Win Mag. to handle it.

Posts: 13857 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went trough a short barrel phase and I found that I didn't like the extra muzzle blast. They are real only more handier getting in and out of vehicles ect. When they are in your hands the couple of inchs of barrel for me do not make a differants. I rather have the extra barrel length and vel. Then the shortness and blast.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P Dog - You raise the only really noticable objection to carbines, i.e. muzzle blast. They are loud and fired in dim light conditions they put out a ball of fire you won't soon forget. [Smile] At night it can be like a flash bulb going off.

But I agree with the other posters, the advantages of short rifles more than make up for any negatives. Hunting in brushy terrain or simply hunting where a lot of walking is involved gives a carbine a BIG edge. I've walked all day hunting with carbines and never been aware I had a rifle along until it was needed for the shot...and then it performed just like any rifle and the deer came home with me at the end of the day.

I think it may be a little silly to build a big monster magnum in such a rifle configuration...but I think most monster magnums are silly to begin with.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
bighorn,

I used to hunt a lot with a Mod.600 in .350RemMag.
The recoil and muzzle blast were stiff but it was a real killer. In most, I would agree, that muzzle jump and blast were the only drawbacks, those being minor considering the returns.

As far as the poster taking a stab at the "monster magnums", obviously he has never been sharing the alders with a brown bear. A fast handling "monster magnum" feels pretty good in there.

Joe

<Buliwyf>
posted
bighorn:

Welcome to AR.

My experience parallels p dog shooter. I had a 20" 375 H&H and did not feel the rifle balanced well and the muzzle blast felt too close to my face. My preference is for the 25" or 26" barrels.

B

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
My arms are on the short side and as a result carbines with their shorter barrels balance and handle much better for me. I don't really notice the difference in muzzle blast or noise.

[ 01-20-2003, 01:12: Message edited by: Slingster ]

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
ovis:

You make a good point!

Buliwyf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering 4" of gun barrel cut off the rifle weighs about as much as a pocket knife and is about the same size, I doubt that your midsection is going to appreciate your motives for a carbine...

If you just want one then that is fine, if you think you need one then I suspect your just doing a Texas two step, for another rifle....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote