THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    35 Whelen or 375 Ruger for Brown Bear

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen or 375 Ruger for Brown Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would like thoughts and opinions on which one for a Brown Bear hunt. Planning on going in Spring of '09. I've got a 330 Dakota or 375 H&H that would probably get the call, but the H&H is in a rig that is a 'pretty piece' and I was thinking syn/stainless for this hunt--which the 330 Dakota is......

Thinking of a 'new' Win 70 action, or (surprise surprise) a Sako '85 in a syn stock, which caliber do ya'll like???

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish,

Any of the mentioned calibers will work. Alaska bear hunting can offer some of the nastiest weather imaginable. Your beautiful rifles may take a beating on this hunt so the the synthetic/stainless might be your best bet. Personally I'd take the 330 Dakota. With a premium 250 grain bullet it will do a great job on any bear.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

It doesn't matter, among your choices. Use a good bullet, and again there are numerous choices, from 225 gr on up, and you will do fine.

What is far more important on a brown bear hunt is dead nuts familiarity with the rifle, and it's utter reliability under extraordinarily difficult conditions -- rain, snow, saltwater, thick brush.

Bear hunters are well served by making the rifle/scope/bullet decision early in their planning, and spending more of their time shooting the rifle until handling it becomes ingrained in their cell memory.

FWIW...

DN

Posts: 119 | Location: Ketchikan, AK USA | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, the Dakota will probably get the nod. I am very familiar with the Sako 75 action it is based on, and it is scoped appropriately, and is here and ready right now.

The only drawback to this particular rig, is that it is very heavy.....most of that is in the barrel, it is 24 1/2", which the Smith recommended, I had no idea it would be that heavy all up.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you actually see the bear or get close to one even a 416 is not overgunned....I'd go with the 375 Ruger or H&H and be done with it...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ill go with the 376 steyr.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use the H&H - pretty guns are to use too. just take care of it.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
butch, I've still got that as an option. I've taken several rigs similar into the muck and myre, so it's not out of my plan just yet....

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Where did the 35 whelen go? For the build? Since you have a 375 H&H build the whelen and learn to shoot it well, 1-12 twist from what I hear.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
On the winchester action.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I'm not writing off doing a 35 Whelen just yet, but I am intrigued by the 375 Ruger.

I don't have a Winchester based rifle right now--it just seems wrong......

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 35 Whelan or the 375 Ruger are perfectly good Brown bear calibers..Woodleigh makes a 310 gr. RN and PP soft point as I recall and it should be a dandy in the 35 Whelan...

The 375 Ruger would be a good choice and probably better than the 35 Whelan at least on paper, in the field It won't make much difference....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote