New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas hill country weekend.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to my hill country hunting lease last Thursday.

Hill country view and a hoglet I got to perforate at 180 yds. with my 300 H&H and 180 gr. TSX’s

Remington 700 KS, 300 H&H and cactus.

It’s spring turkey season here and its always open season on hogs. I hadn’t been there since late February, so I was ready to hunt. Got out Thursday afternoon. Took a couple calls and my Foxpro FX3 caller. Carried my Sako Riihimaki in 222 Remington . I’ve loaded it with 45gr. Barnes TSX’s. Good for both turkey and hoglets should I see any. We only have three water sources on the particular pasture I hunt. Turkey and dove usually hit this in the evening before they go to roost. Got to the water trough at the”Y” and sure enough about 200 yds. south of me, a line of hens was heading down one trail and a line of toms was heading down another. I jumped off my four wheeler, got my rifle and fx3 caller. I tried calling for a few minutes. The toms would gobble but didn’t stop. So what the heck, they won’t come to me , I’ll go to them. I keep the caller playing “excited hen yelps and start stalking them. Followed about 300 yds. through juniper and brush. The toms had stopped in a clearing just before the serious woods start and were strutting. I was inside a copse of juniper so they did not see me but could here the hen yelping on the caller. I braced on a low lying juniper branch and nailed one. They started moving and I nailed a second. Then they took off flying. Not bad, one hour in and and already had the opportunity to take two toms. I forecast chicken fried turkey fingers and turkey jerky in the near future………..

As I mentioned earlier, I also got to smack two hill country hoglets.

Got this one at the “canopy” early Friday morning @ 180 yds.

Got this one at the “Cliffs” late Saturday evening. I was surprised to get him. I had missed the best javelina I’ve ever seen in my hunting career about an hour earlier. I scrambled down the rock face and looked for blood until it was getting near dark thirty. I climbed back up to my perch and was getting ready to pack up when I spied this eating size boar. Nailed him @ 168 yds.

Life is good.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Better than my weekend, that's for sure! Good job.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Yes that is a Polaris 500 Sportsman. It is the fuel injected 2006 model.
My hunting buddy at the time owned what he called a preventative maintenance auto shop. He did oil changes, brake jobs, shocks, transmission flush, and state inspections. He was big on Polaris having owned two. His were the two cycle where you had to add oil.
About a year after I got mine he broke down and bought a new 500 himself he liked mine so much.

The folks I talked to when making my purchase decision remarked that the parts for Polaris were expensive. Maybe so, but the only thing I've done in 7 years is change the oil and transmission fluid. Only parts I've bought is oil filters and one battery. Now I don't run it daily, but when I do I run the tee total dog shit out of it. I will load 1,000 lbs in a trailer and pull it up hill in 4wheel low. I keep stabil in the tank and it has never failed to start. It has a pull rope to start if the battery is down.

It has a two speed auto trans. It will flat get up and leave most everything else in the dirt from scratch.
A while back I dropped a feed barrel on my left foot. Trying to shift with an injured foot is no fun. The auto trans was a blessing. I don't know how long this thing will last. I paid $6k new. I may spend on rifles, but on 4wheel vehicles I don't turn loose of a nickel until I make the indian ride the buffalo. First and only vehicle I've ever bought new with four wheels. I have not regretted it one minute and believe I got my money's worth. I would not hesitate to buy another when the time comes.

At first I was concerned about the front cover. I was thinking, which is hinged giving access to a storage area and the front shocks. It did not have a rack and I was worried about how sturdy it was and whether it would hold up. Only broke once. My buddy was bringing it back, doing about 90 mph. He had loaded it back-asswards and not secured the lid. It blew up and broke off. Other than that no problem. Both the font and back racks have a rail that runs crossways with four to six slots. Perfect for placing game, packs, ditty bag, camera or gun cases on, and using bungees or straps to fasten with.

IMHO, my lifestyle and hunting terrain precludes the use of horses, mules or llamas . Four wheel drive trucks are cheaper but can't go where the Polaris goes. To my thinking it is indispensable to my type of hunting. I very seldom shoot anything over 300 lbs. So far I have been able to load all but two out of the animals I've killed either on the back or front rack along with all the gear I carry, and I don't pack light.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very well done. tu2 tu2

I thoroughly enjoy your reports...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoy your reports...[/QUOTE]

me too

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
A heck of a way to spend the weekend!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I envy you GW! Looks like a great weekend.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Next time, buy your cases from Geedubya....

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Next time, buy your cases from Geedubya....

Ha! Not exactly what I was talking about! Funny though.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote