New
Find
Notify
Tools

(no) black bear again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I must be doing something wrong. Came home again without any sign of bear whatsoever. For the locals, I went to an area North of South Ghost Recr. Area, with lots of quad tracks. Followed a moose trail, and a narrow cut line to reach some south slopes between 1600 and 1700 meter (according to the GPS). There was no green stuff or hardly any, and it was *windy*. Scouting around with the binoculars, I noticed some green patches adjacent to the road, which, incidently, would have taken me pretty close to where I hiked quite laborously through the thick stuff. Made my way back to the road, stalked five whitetail, saw no bear sign.

Observation 1: dandelions are only just beginning to sprout, sparse clover, about 1/2 inch high, low green grass along the track.

Observation 2: 10 km down the road a pipeline stretch was still mostly covered with snow.

Observation 3: if you are looking for clearcuts, try Harold Creek Road, but beware: no hunting 365 meter either side of the road.

Anybody in South-Western Alberta seeing bear? I know they are up and about up North...I must be doing something wrong.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I hate to add insult to injury, but I had a good sized one (for around here) run across the road in front of my jeep while I was going home from the range yesterday. At full gallop he stretched almost across the single lane road and was almost as tall as the hood of the jeep.

As the crow flies we were less than five miles from the State Capitol building. [Razz]

Rick

[ 05-14-2003, 03:59: Message edited by: Rick R ]

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
It could be a touch early in your area. I'm seeing a few but in a couple of weeks I know I'll see alot.

Don't give up. It doesnt sound like your doing anything wrong. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans Man keep pluggin away. seen a few around here in fact saw a sow grizz with a couple of cubs on the way to work this morning. Tracked a black bear in some thick stuff the other day and got within 50 yds of him and the wind shifted. Never saw him but the noise he made and the tracks he left told the whole story. Keep at it, but the bear hunters around here don't start getting serious until the leaves start to show themselves.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote