Find
Notify
Tools

Scotland
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted
John the Greek and I are planning to go to Scotland hunting this year for stags and assorted species. Any comments or experiences. We will be taking my .300 R93 Blaser and his Blaser we are already filling out the firearms forms.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You should have a great time!

The locals might think your a bit over gunned mind as bigger than a .270 raises eyebrowes over here!:-)

Seriously, the .300 will be fine for Red and Sika although it could be seriously over kill for Roe unless you develope a more appropriate load...remember these criters only weigh around 30lb after they are gutted!
You might wanted to look at the site below for more info:

http://www.deer-uk.com

If you drop me a mail, I would be happy to provide any more info or help I can. Although I live in Wales, most of my stalking has been in Scotland...we currently have a lease not too far from Aberdeen.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
will you be hunting in Kilts?

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hey! Whats wrong with kilts? I wear mine when ever I get a chance. Women love men in kilts!

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 03-23-2002).]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having hunted all those animal in Europe I can tell you that its very different than hunting here and the last poster is right... 300 Win Mag is overgunned by a large measure. I used a .270 Winchester for three years in Germany and never wanted for more... While over there I bought one of the old Sako Fiberclass rifles in .300WM and took it on a Mouflon hunt and got many disapproving glances from my fellow Jagers. It stayed in the closet the rest of the time. Any of the standard calibers is more than adequate and something on the order of a .308 or 7x57 would fit right in.
I think I'd rather hunt Roe deer than any other species on the planet....

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Most of our european clients in Africa all suggested the .300 for the mixed bag we were going to hunt. I was thinking of taking my 30'06 barrel assembly too. I was afraid that the UK had a prohibition against military calibres.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
No prohibition on military calibres in the UK. Your 30 06 may be a better choice too.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll take both if that is legal any bullet weight restriction on game?

posted Hide Post
There are some minimum legal requirements but I can't remember the exact wording right now.It goes on bullet weight, calibre, velocity and ft/lbs at the muzzle and varies slighty across the UK and Southern Ireland. Basically the minimum equates to a .243 with a hundred grain bullet for everything except Roe in Scotland which can legally be taken with a .222Rem and 50grain bullets. This assumes standard factory velocities..anything above that like your 30-06 or .300 would be legal. As already suggested your 30-06 barrel set would be a far better choice. Even on the Hill in Scotland I doubt you would be given a shot over 250yards...For woodland stalking after Roe 25-75 yards is the usual...

What are you stalking and where abouts are you going?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rockhead,

Good idea except these hairy greek legs were never meant for that sort of exposure. I wouldn't want to frighten any Highland honeys that way

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember...if its not Scottish....

Its CRRRRAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP

Oh yeah, and eat more haggis!

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Tell um Kentucky! Praise to the Mighty Haggis!

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
In Greece we eat goat gut soup for Easter it makes Haggis look good. But 50 days without meat you'll eat anything that comes from a goat. In Greek it is called magaritza.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you going to try for sheep while you're there?

I heard an apocryphal story of a US client bagging a ram on the hill at a very pukka estate.....

I should say that I've not stalked in Scotland (money and time) but I have heard some true stories of very controlled stalking. Before you book check out their hunting syle and do try and check with previous clients. It may be the case that the stalker does the final stalk in with the loaded rifle, aligns the rifle on the stag (talking reds on the hill here) gets you to get comfortable and then checks the sight picture to check you have the correct animal. A lot of people might not like this, so do ask some detailed questions.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Good idea We will visit with our hunter a length before deposits are exchanged