New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frogg Toggs Rainwear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with this rainwear? I am looking at a suit of it because it it very light and claims to be very waterproof and breathable. I did see some and it seems kinda like heavy paper and I am curious how durable it might be as well. Any help is appreciated. Any other recommendations for light packable rainwear is also appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty-i too am trying to get frogg toggs--have ordered a set of "pro" about 2 month ago and they are not in yet./ the pro's have an elastic at the pant leg bottom and a zipper about 10" on ea. leg. hear they are real good but i only have 1 question--how noisy are they?

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried one of the jackets on, but did not buy the suit "yet". It is pretty noisy, and I have some doubts about the durability of the material, especially when worn through south texas brush country. But........ A $180.00 rainsuit will snag and tear just like the $50.00 Frogg Togg suit, so it may not be such a bad deal. I've kinda just been waiting to see what some other folks thought of them before I bought one.

posted Hide Post
I haven't used the Frogg Toggs, but I've had really good service with Helley Hanson Impertech rainwear. It's fairly light and rolls up small to fit in a backpack or day bag. It holds up better than I thought it would, as far as durability is concerned. I'm sure there must be better rainwear out there, but the Impertech will work. Not knocking the Frogg Toggs, just have no experience with them...

Posts: 6 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 sets last year for me and the wife to have on the motorcycle. I have used them riding and I stayed completely dry. I thought about useing them hunting but had knee surgery last fall and could not go I think we paid 49.95 apiece for ours at a motorcycle show. Hope this helps.

Posts: 3 | Location: ma, usa | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear somebody ask. I've got the same questions. I'm going sheep hunting in July.

I tried them on last year at Pro Bass in Dallas, and couldn't decide for the same reasons others have given. Surely someone has used this product on a good hunt.

If I don't hear anything negative on this thread I'll probably give them a go in July.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to bring this old thread back up but......

After doing a search for FROGG TOGG this is the only thread that came up and it seemed like people had very little experience with this stuff when this was originally started.

I am headed to Alaska this fall and seen this stuff at Bass Pro. What experience do you guys have with this stuff?????
Good, Bad??

Thanks.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Guys; I have used them for a few years. They are great for football games and may be good for scooter riding, but for hunting, they are NOT what you need. They tear too easily and are noisy. I like them as super light weight for the warmer time of year. But for hunting, they aren't what you want.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Frogg Toggs on my backpack sheep hunt in 2004 in the NWTs. They worked great. I did not have to use them during a stalk.

I also use them for Monsoon here in India. They work great.

I don't have any durability issues with them.

I think had I used them in Zimbabwe this month, they would have been ripped to shreads.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
The one pair of pants I saw in use lasted halfway through a 4 mile hike in grown over logging cut. Crotch ripped out. Didn't seem to do much to keep the water out either.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Lacrosse makes a rain suit that is made out of Nylon and laminated on the inside. If you want durability and somewhat quiet rain wear, they are definitely the ticket. It doesn't matter what kind you buy, you'll get wet alittle if the hunt involves alot of movement in heavy rain.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Frog Toggs jacket for 5+ years, it was stuffed in my golf bag until my son "borrowed" it to fish in. As far as light and wind and waterproof - they can't be beat. You can stick your arm in the shower and it will stay completely dry.

But they don't breathe well, aren't very quiet and would certainly not be rugged wear in thorns, briars or other rough terrain. If you sit in heavy rain in fairly open country and use it from warm conditions as a single layer or an over layer in cold weather they would work fine.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I think they are great for what they are!

I have a set 2years old now. They are durable enough as long as you're not brush bustin'. The crotch ripping out is a fit issue. They'll keep you dry, they don't breathe as well as they could but are better than a rubber suit.

They are also very inexpensive, and you can afford several pair compared to one expensive one that'll be just as inefficient, and no more durable. I have my two piece set in a gallon size ziploc bag, and will be bringing them to Ak next week. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your money. Pants ripped out of mine and they definately were not waterproof. Try Cabelleas MT50 rain gear. Not cheap but works.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks too "light weight" to me. Try Patagonia Rain wear. The stuff wears like iron.

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't this the same material as Tyvex, the housewrapping stuff?

Posts: 1074 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote