THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wanting a guided Nilgai Hunt in Texas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanting a guided Nilgai Hunt in Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A bud and I are wanting to hunt nilgai in texas in 2020. Can anyone suggest a decent ranch/outfitter. Thanks

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Sam Ilse a call, he runs Lomas Chicas Outfitters 361-296-4571

Posts: 75 | Location: Spring, Texas,USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
LBguy,
It would help if you would elaborate on your requirements.
There are many hunting ranches with Nilgai and some Nilgai on public land.

Do you want a big trophy or a cow or young bull for meat? Do you need air conditioned accomodations or will a tent do? Are there budget issues? Bigger bulls are fewer and more costly in time and $$.
Need a hunt near an airport for fly in or driving to Texas.
How about the meat-taking it home with you or just the head and horns?
Want a weekend hunt or a week?
Are you physically able to walk and stalk or need to shoot from car or blind?

Such information will save us all a lot of time.

PS I am not an outfitter, but have shot some Nilgai and know some places to hunt them by do not want to play 20 questions.,

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sam Ilse at Loma Chica is an excellent choice. I have also had great luck with Lendell Laxton of L&L Hunts. Sam hunts the East Foundation property near Sarita. Lendell hunts the Yturria Ranch close to Raymondville. I shot excellent bulls on both low fence properties.

Public opportunities are draw only and a poor chance at getting drawn, almost worse chances at actually killing a nilgai.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Nilgai were a non-indigenous species for Texas and therefore no permit required.
As I read the Texas OUTDOOR ANNUAL, it specifies that a person only needs a hunting license and permission for hunting non-indigenous animals
(Page 80)

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Correct, they are exotics and found on many exotic hunting ranches. No season, no limit except what your credit will bear.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any game species (exotic or native) in Texas that requires a permit, but you do need a Texas hunting license for either.

Nilgai are exotic, like aoudad and axis, most populations are free-ranging along the coastal south Texas plains on some of the larger ranches. A few exotic ranches stock them but I personally would stick to low fence ranches.

There is one Texas State WMA that has populations you can hunt but it requires you to put in for a draw and success rates were rather low. But is an option.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to the King Ranch guys at DSC. Stay in local hotel, 850 day rate and $400 per cow, Oscar said I could probably bag 2-3 in a day.

Are there better options if I am looking for cow hunt for my kid and me?

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with the King ranch last year . Treated well, no.problem finding nilgai, fun spot and stalk hunt. Good taste.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I'd appreciate additional one if you find the time. Thanks again.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how are they for eating??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Greg Simons with Wildlife Management Systems hunts the El Suaz Ranch which is part of the Robert East Foundation if IRC. And the King Ranch offers nilgai hunts as well as was mentioned in a conversation above.

Both bulls and cows are excellent table fare. Some of the finest wild game meat I have enjoyed.

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
My only time was on the King, but it was maybe 25+ years ago. The population back was great, and it has probably improved knowing the KR management. That being said, it still depends on your desire. A trophy was once 9” plus, but I don’t know now.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
So if I take my girls to the King is it 850$ per person plus trophy fees per day?

or 850 for the truck, plus trophy fees?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
That's obviously a question for the King Ranch. None of us can answer for them. If truly interested call and inquire...

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Ouch, nope that logic doesn't work. I guess I'd have to call and see what they can do.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all season guide service (Mike Powell), great guy!

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks men.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the meat from a Nilgai is as good as any wild game meat, its one of my favorites..

I would contact the King Ranch in Kingsville, Tx. Ive hunted there many times in the past and it was $600 back then but that was in the 1970s and early 1980s, not sure what the cost is today..I Always killed out the first day..

They are a very tough animal to kill sometimes..Ive killed them or seen them killed with many different calibers, Ive shot them with a 7x57, 30-06, 45-90, and a 308, but my usual gun was the .338 win, and it would be my all time choice..A 458 or 470 would not be too much gun if one just wanted to use it, like I said they can be hard to kill sometimes.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote