New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifles Extreme X2 opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had posted not too long ago about whether I should get a 338 or pass on it and try to find a 270put together the way I like.

Montana Rifle Company builds a rifle that fits my wish list:at least a 24 inch barrel, Mausereque controlled round feed, SS barrel and action, real intergal recoil lung, aluminum and bedded Kevlar stock.

I have heard mixed reviews about these rifles. I have read, not confirmed, that Ruger cast their actions (which to me is a positive). What are your gentlemen’s opinion of this rifle.

All opinions are needed and welcomed.

Posts: 12245 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a company owned by Ruger(Pine Tree Castings?)makes the actions.MRC finishes them .I have one MRC right now.It is a 300WSM in a McMillan stock.It is not a lightweight rifle,but super reliable(A model 70 look a like)and very accurate.This is my third one and they were all great rifles.OB

https://ruger.com/casting/

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a well made rifle that is very accurate. That product is an exact copy of the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 except with modern manufacturing methods. It is doubtful you could go wrong with it.

That being said, mine is for sale. Not because I do not like it but because the time has come to sell off extra firearms. Check the pictures of the targets on the picture link in the advertisement.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...351038632#7351038632

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boliep: that is a fine rifle, if it were a 270i would buy it off you.

Posts: 12245 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and used an XR-2 since 2015. It is a fabulous rifle. I would recommend using their muzzle brake on larger calibers.

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I know owners of the MRC personally and they are pretty good and honest guys
I shot their rifles although I don’t own one
Nice handling and great shots

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am putting in an offer on a 270 extreme whether 2 MRC. Let the die be cast.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
After reading this post I called Jeff (owner of MRC) and he said they have not used Pine Tree for about 3 years. They are investment cast and then fully machined in house. You will be happy with the rifle!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to win the auction first.

JC, Montana Rifle Company has or had a large presence at your big bore shoot. What is your assessment?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought a left handed stainless short action on their introductory offer for the model 1999 back in 2001. It made a great rifle, that is on it's 4th barrel (I use it for long range varminting and 1,000 yard F class). It took second place in the local club match yesterday

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won the auction. Let us hope the rifle matches the photos.

Anybody in Ky on the I75 corridor have a chrono, I could shoot someone rounds over for a turret scope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 375 off of AR and got it sighted in the other day. Seem to be very accurate is pretty nice to shoot. Has a good trigger and feeds fine. More testing will tell how good of rifle it is but so far so good.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dealer emailed me yesterday that payment had been received, and he shipped the rifle yesterday.

Maybe, it will get here before New Years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the rifle today. I am more than happy with this rifle to have not shot it yet. It has an ingenious little plunger on the left side of the bolt to take down the bolt with.

The X2 stock fits the metal well and has a good solid feel. It is nothing like the hollow stocks that we find from the majors.

The rifle feeds from the magazine as well as any rifle I have. Feeding is not better than the Win. Supergrade we have, but as good.

Tomorrow we will go down to our local gun shop and have a VX3 4.5x14 Leupold installed. I think it will be Monday befor I get to shoot it. My Wife wants to do town stuff over the New Year weekend.

Bottom line outside appearance is a solid B+ to A-. If she shoots well, I would purchase another in this Exterme X2) model, as I still do not like the lines and checker of the wood stocked models.

I will let you know how she shoots. As usual, anyone wants pics email me iPhone number or email. Pictures is more social media than I care to learn.

Anybody have any suggestions for names? I name all my rifles female. This is because I do not want to be attached this much to something with a male name. I am still Baptist after all.

I was thinking Brittany.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is getting.58” accuracy with break in loads. I’m impressed, fit and Finnish is great for a stainless composite rifle.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got her scoped today. She now wears a Leopulde VX3i, 4.5x14x40 with a 30mm tube. It is attached by Leopulde matte 30 mm dual dovetail rings medium high on SS dovetail bases. The low rings would have been absolute perfect, but the objective bell touched the barrel.

The med rings are fine providing repeatable mounting. I grew up with see through bases/rings, and my uncles who still use see thru bases makes 300 yard shots with them. Those see through bases/rings put the scope so high that my face does not touch the stock at all.

Still too could to shoot. It did break into the 20s from a morning low of -1. So, for you Ohio and above folks his may be a heat wave, but here I is unspeakablely cold.

I named her Brittany.

I expect my load to be he WinchesterSuprme )black box) 140 grain Accubond. This assumes anything around 1.5 inch group. I am not a very good shot, so I would be most satisfied with that. Anything else would be for braging.

I will give a range report hopefully after next weekend.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hermenegilda would have been more appropriate
That way the attachment could be detached

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you shot it yet? I have a 6.5 Creed lefty X2 being delivered tomorrow. I also bought Leupy DD rings/bases. My Zeiss HD5 is backordered though.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not yet. We have had a winter blast descend upon us.

I am a lanky fellow. Most of my friends who have shoulder the rifle get a full, classic cheek weld.

I hope to next weekend, but I said that this weekend.

Let me know how you like yours.

Boarkiller: I a, unfamiliar with that mount. The rifle does not have iron sights, so I do not think quick detach would be much benefit. But I could be wrong . Especially for switching out a back up scope in rings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Let me know how you like yours.

I will. I just checked my account on Cabela's and it looks like my scope shipped too. Hopefully I'll hit the range in the next few days, which would be nice. I might take a buddy out to shoot a blackbuck ram next weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snow is gone and it is going to be 50 and sunny. Finally, shooting will commence.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks: Brittany and I just got back from our first date.

When learned a good deal about each other.

First, how do you know you need a haircut? Well, Brittany taught me when the wind blows your hair over your eyes you cannot stare into her eyes (scope) you need a haircut.

Second, Brittany is from Montana. Her folks are high maintenance. We are trying hard to take it slow and follow her folks recommended dating rules (recommended barrel break in). These are are a pain in our heart. They are really hard to follow with just one person to shoot, clean, and hold Brittany. However, much the lust of gunpowder burned between us we followed every step her parents are recommending. 10 rounds cleaning throughly after each round. Then five rounds with through cleaning. She is in the bath right now. Ok, I did get a little fast and friend six rounds for the first set of five.

Third, Brittany really likes the followers (140 Winchester Accubonds) I brought her. She can hold six of them at one time down her bosom(magazine).when I reach in to pick them out, she is so smooth I cannot tell I have picked one up.

(Honestly, the Rifle holds 6 down. When you run the bolt you feel no resistance of a cartridge being picked up, it she picks one up every time.) I found my self doing brass checks to make sure. Yeah, one is in the chamber was the answer. No marks on the brace.

Fourth, because this is put first date and her parents recommendations. When had some time trying to feel each other out. I did not try to make any adjustments to her (the Leupold VX3i), but I asked her what she wanted. She wanted to shoot about 5 inches to the right and about 5 inches high. So, I held there and shot the bull out of the inch grid target.

Fifth, no one is perfect. There are a few casting blemishes (goosebump like texture on the inside rail).No one I have showned Brittany off to has noticed them. It is purely a small cosmetic blemish. I have my own. She is still California pretty and without the crazy (no issues with function).

Sixith, do not tell Brittany this but my trigger finger does like the feel of a wider..... surface. However, in all fairness her trigger is fine to the touch.

We are both free spirits at heart, regardless of her parents rules. So, our first date was standing up off my BogPod sticks at 100 long paces.

If anybody wants pictures, pm me email address or IPhone phone number.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Received my lefty MRC X2 in 6.5 Creed this week. The rifles fit and finish looks very good. The weight is decent, a little bit muzzle heavy. Apparently, for 2018 MRC has shaved some weight and will be designating it the X3. It should be a winner.

Unfortunately, when I took it to the range it failed to feed and extract with all three brands of ammo I tried. It looks like the issue might be with the follower and mag box as the rear of the cartridge fails to push all the way up. But I think there's another issue too, if I do get the cartridge up and engaged in the bolt, it fails to stay engaged. As I seat the round and then extract, it disengages when the bolt is pulled part way back, leaving it still partly chambered.

Hopefully MRC makes it right without much delay or hassle. I had bought it and hoped to use it for a blackbuck hunt next week, but doesn't look like that will happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please, letus know how well they follow through? Lack of follow through has been a reported issue.

I would not want my 270any lighter. But, I confess to being weird.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:
Received my lefty MRC X2 in 6.5 Creed this week. The rifles fit and finish looks very good. The weight is decent, a little bit muzzle heavy. Apparently, for 2018 MRC has shaved some weight and will be designating it the X3. It should be a winner.

Unfortunately, when I took it to the range it failed to feed and extract with all three brands of ammo I tried. It looks like the issue might be with the follower and mag box as the rear of the cartridge fails to push all the way up. But I think there's another issue too, if I do get the cartridge up and engaged in the bolt, it fails to stay engaged. As I seat the round and then extract, it disengages when the bolt is pulled part way back, leaving it still partly chambered.

Hopefully MRC makes it right without much delay or hassle. I had bought it and hoped to use it for a blackbuck hunt next week, but doesn't look like that will happen.

I was re-reading your post. If I understood the description of your second problem correctly the claw extractor will not snap over the rim of a case loade by just placing the cartridge in the raceways. This is not flaw of execution. Because of the Mauser breaching system (c collar no cut in the barrel for the extractor) the extractor will not snap over the rim. I do not mind this. It was/is how the Mauser 98 action works.

If I did not correctly comprehend your second issue correctly please ignore.

Does not explain or fix your first problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

I was re-reading your post. If I understood the description of your second problem correctly the claw extractor will not snap over the rim of a case loade by just placing the cartridge in the raceways. This is not flaw of execution. Because of the Mauser breaching system (c collar no cut in the barrel for the extractor) the extractor will not snap over the rim. I do not mind this. It was/is how the Mauser 98 action works.

If I did not correctly comprehend your second issue correctly please ignore.

Does not explain or fix your first problem.

Yes, you're correct about a round just placed on the follower. I looked at it some more this morning. It looks like the issue might only be the follower (athough the mag does seem awfully long). The follower lets the cartridge sit at an angle, so the bolt never catches the base. Then as a round is extracted, the case drops and disengages from the bolt before it's fully extracted.