THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Sensitive To Discuss - What Caused You Or A Hunt Party Friend To Reduce A Tip To Gui

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sensitive To Discuss - What Caused You Or A Hunt Party Friend To Reduce A Tip To Gui
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently returned from a moderately expensive (for me) guided hunt.
Prior to the hunt, I posed a question here on AR asking about tipping, and as a result of the excellent discussion had budgeted for equitable tipping of the staff and my guide.
I'll start off.
After my best friend shot a very nice elk in mid-morning, the guide told my friend it was "Gut Shot". It wasn't! There were 2 shots through upper lungs, one that broke a front leg, one through the neck, and two others, none in the gut. First shot at 330 yards, last at 500+ yards.
Strike 1.
The guide didn't want to follow up saying the elk was only wounded and would run off and be lost. Guide told us we would leave the elk. Daytime temperatures in 60s. That night the outfitter told the guide to go back and find that elk. We did. By the time the meat got back to camp that next night (Temps again in 60s) all the meat was rotten.
Strike 2.
Later in the hunt, the guide was asked a question and told my friend it was the stupidest question he ever heard, and called my friend a name I will not repeat.
Strike 3.
There were several other negatives too.
The camp staff received the full budgeted tip.
The Guide got a "very small token" tip along with a reminder of the name he called my friend.
My question:
What speifics have others experienced that caused them to reduce a tip.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give him nothing, spread his name around and tell the world who the outfitter was....

I have seen this once, in Africa and left no tip for the PH.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, many of the so called "guides" are out of work sheep herders, painters, and such. And have spent no more time in the area than you. The outfitter gives them a run down on where to hunt and turns them loose. This reflects poorly on the guide that are legit and hard working.
Just like any service person, you tailor their tip to the level of service they provided. In your case, I'd make damn sure the outfitter hears about your dissatisfaction.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've never done a guided hunt before. If that ever changes, and I actually do gut shoot an elk instead of supposedly like your friend, and the guide refuses to follow up until either the elk or I drop dead, he or she is fired on the spot.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Bob, as I read you hunt report my thoughts about your guide had to be censored. It sounds like he was not a professional and I would be having a one way conversation with the outfitter.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just an observation, nothing more.From the information given, referring to the person you were dealing with, as a "Guide" is an insult to Guides.

An animal that clearly displays being hit, should be followed up, whether it is a killing shot or a wound.

This persons behavior at that point was enough to call a halt in the hunt, until the person could be replaced.

One if the biggest unspoken issues that has began affecting Big Game hunts, is the whole tipping issue.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I will give him nothing!

And tell him exactly what I thought of him as a guide too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68790 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I recently finished an outfitted hunt in Idaho. We did 2 back to back hunts. My son's guide on the second hunt was very disappointing, to put it politely. He appeared to have little in the way of actual hunting skill, nor much willingness to successfully take a buck. My son got his buck on the last day and asked this guide to take the cape for a shoulder mount, and showed where he wanted the rearmost cut made. This guide ignored this request and made the cuts where he deemed best. Incredibly, after making the dorsal cut he also belly cut the cape up to the point at the bottom of the neck ! My son noticed this too late to prevent it happening. Meat from the buck was taken but removed carelessly resulting in significant waste. The guide informed my son that he would leave the backstraps and tenderloin behind. My son refused to allow this and removed all this meat himself. The guide packed the antlers and cape back to camp whereupon with total indifference he slung the cape over a pole and left it as it lay, never looking to spread it to aid cooling and drying. Again, my son attended to this. After returning from my day on the hill I looked at this cape and was shocked at how rough the caping job was with large chunks of meat still attached. The guide made no attempt to rectify this. In fact I don't think he even looked at the cape again after dumping it onto the pole.
This, and other behaviour during the hunt caused us to markedly downgrade the tip we could have paid. In fact, we seriously considered not paying any tip.
In contrast my son's guide on the first hunt was an excellent fellow with a great attitude. They were not successful in taking a buck then, but not for lack of skill or trying. This guide put my son onto a Wolf which he did take with a good shot. This guide performed his duties so well that my son was pleased to pay a generous tip which we thought was well deserved.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06King,
Thanks for the specifics.
I understand that it is easy to just blurt out opinions and even bad mouth generically anyone that performs badly.
It's a whole nother thing to document true negatives that are attributable to the author by name (or nom-de=plume as may be shown here).
Because of the hesitancy most folks will have about revelaing ones specific negative opinions, I wasn't sure if this thread would receive any actual experience related comments.
Without specifics, how could a person extrapolate and determine a reasonable number somewhere between a good tip and no tip.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote