New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bison Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saturday, I received the money for a Bison Hunt as a present, from my wife and several friends, for my retirement. Realizing it is getting down to the end of the season for good winter hide etc. Does anyone have any good suggestions, hopefully in Nebraska, preferably someone you have hunted with.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zedman,

You have a PM.

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact the BOX L ranch in n.w. Neb. We shot 2 large bison in Nov. 2002, also 3 deer. $1500 For bison. There is an excellent taxidermist nearby. We got our mounts ,they are beautiful and very large.The meat was great.I filled my freezer and 2 food pantry freezers for the less fortunate. call Galen Voss at 308-432-3275 ,tell them Cole sent you.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool! A bison. There is a place neart Sargeant Ne. Comstock Lodge I think. Nice place and pretty good hunting. How about South Dakota?

RETIREMENT? Good for you. Now you can come out west and hunt. When is the big date?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Retirement, it never seemed possible, actually it's just a temporary interuption between jobs; just don't positively know whats next. 32 1/2 years of Law Dog-Narc. work is enough for now.

Christmas Eve was my last day, so I'm official as of the end of the year. Good chance my wife and I will be going west to shoot rockchucks in Idaho this spring so we will try to hook up with you.

Kudu, let everyone know, if they need a used, but pretty fair, ol'cop who is a shootin' bullet/ballistics nut; I got resume's.

Good Hunting. "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Scott and Cole for the information. I will get busy contacting these folks. Looks like I may be waiting until later this year, maybe we will need to get a few of us together.

Good Hunting, "Z"

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome. You have another PM, as well.

Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
your a lucky man. the one that i shot early this month may be the best tasting meat that i have ever had.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to seek out opportunities to hunt a free range herd. There are opportunities out there if you are willing to look. It may be more money and you may need to save up a bit more money but, take it from someone who has done both, the hunt will be a "hunt" and much more fulfilling than a pasture shoot.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnTheGreek speaks the truth.

You really need to decide if this is going to be a hunt or if you simply want the meat and a head for the wall.

I've shot several bison this year for meat. These were all pasture shoots and the animals were young cows, heifers actually. One animal was for my freezer and the others were for friends. I used the opportunity to test bullets in a variety of calibres.

This is not hunting by any stretch of the term. Quite honestly, there's a certain amount of sadness when one goes into the field, approaches a big beautiful animal, shoots it, and then watches the beast go down and expire.

I don't eat beef and my options are to kill the bison myself or have the rancher do it for me. Again, the terminal ballistics data is invaluable.

But it ain't hunting!

For your scenario, a fair chase would be the ultimate. Anything you take will be a trophy! And you'll always have that warm fuzzy memory inside for the rest of your days.

Good luck to ya!

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for something to go into a shoulder mount and if it is not a real "hunt" there is no sense going and further than putting the meat in the freezer. I have to agree with all of you in this case. Yet I can see a need for meat hunts/shoots. Just not what I'm interested in right now.

Thanks to all of you for your help and input, please feel free to add more if you have anything.

Good Hunting, "Z"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the retirement! Man there is always openings for Law Enforcement people out here. Dang, 32 years!

Did you check out Comstock Lodge? I have seen it several times on hunting shows. Looks like fair chase type of a hunt.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much are you paying for A buffalo cow in a pasture shoot?

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not hunted there, but you might check out the Miles Ranch in SE Nebraska. They have a very interesting website, and they say they have 5,000 acres to hunt on. Good Luck, and congrats on the retirement!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I will check them out and get back to ya.

Good Hunting, "Z"

one of us
posted Hide Post
got my cow for $200 then about $200 to get it cut. add in gas and we got a freezer full of great meat for a good price. i dont brag about killing a bison and i dont know if i would do it again but the meat is so good. when i squeezed the trigger i wanst thinking trophy but how good the steaks will be.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I helped a coworker get ready for his bison hunt and a reward was a small roast with promise of more if I like it. I have yet been told of a way to prepare so I get full value of "tasting" bison.
Can't tell where it was cut from, but it seems like the orientation of the meat is about like brisket so I am guessing low heat slow roast.

Any ideas among those of you that have cooked it?

200 bucks for a bison??? Heck that figures out cheap per pound!

Any preparation/cooking suggestions would be appreciated!

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Box L ranch is 25000 acres and no high fence. The bulls we shot were 5 years old and big.Last Nov. we deer hunted at the same ranch and came across 2 huge old bulls that the guide was afraid of, they were the size of the pick-up truck we were in! I don't know if those old bison would be good to eat.They were old and cranky.
The big bulls are easy to approach-they fear nothing.The cows and young bison run off when they see you.

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now we are talking about my favorite subject, cooking and eating. Use your favorite dry rub and use liberally. Put small slits all over and insert a clove of garlic all over. Put in a large clean unused garbage bag in refrigerator overnight. Take out of bag and pat dry. Brown all sides in Olive oil. Put in pre-heated oven at 300 degrees with chopped onions, carrots, and potatoes. Amount of veggies is up to you. Depending on size of roast this may take from 1 1/2 to 2 hrs and change. After 30 minutes, baste every 10 to 15 minutes until it is to your liking. By the way Bison should be cooked to medium rare. When is dinner?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your making my mouth water!

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe they've been paying $600 for the heifers. The animals are 3-4 year olds and are going 6-700 quartered on the hooks. The meat has been splendid.

Bison is best cooked at slightly lower temperatures than beef and usually for shorter time periods. Thermometers are helpful.

As mentioned, do not overcook. And don't squeeze the burgers, its a low fat meat. Keep the juices in.

I use a crockpot a lot as I am a roast lover. Bison and crockpots are a natural.

Bison meat responds nicely to whole fresh herbs.

For those of you with buffalo steaks in the freezer, try a blackened preparation. So delicious it'll feel illegal

Another great bison steak dish is a blue cheese & bourbon marinade/sauce. This one will make you friends you never wanted!

Take care & enjoy.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zedman...
Congrats on 32 years of service!!! You deserve a break...ever thought about applying for a hunt? I know here in Wyoming (and I think in UT and NM too) you can apply to be put on a list to hunt wild bison as they come out of Yellowstone and Teton Park.
There are also a few ranches in Wyoming that have "free ranging bison" that are essentially wild. I believe one is north of Gillette, and the other (NX Bar Ranch) is north of Sheridan.
Good luck, enjoy retirement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get a buffalo dont throw away the ribs they are awesome.You can use every scrap of meat to make the best buffalo burger you ever had,dont add beef fat either.We got a road kill in Alaska a big pregnant cow it was awesome.There were three buffalo hit with one car.They had to call 5 people in to clean all of them.Wild buffalo is a little better than moose .They are both awesome.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are hunts for free range bison in northern BC, not a fence to be found anywhere. These hunts take place in December, so the hides are incredible. If you want more info just post a message.

Alex

Posts: 26 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in the People's Republik, if you find fresh road kill, you have to turn it to the AUTHORITIES. Up there, I assume that you can just carry it away, huh.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Thanx to all.

Looks like a dry rub and fresh rosemary buffalo roast for dinner Saturday night at my place. Luckily no one can find us hidden back in the holl'r here!

The friend got his in a pretty big pasture (several thousand acres) and he said 4 hours of trying to stalk up close enough for a shot in snow with wind and 25 degrees sure did make it seem like hunting!

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zedman,
I was lucky enough to hunt a wild bison here in Wyoming.
If you go bring a PILE of knives (their hide is over 2" thick in places), sharpeners, and a lot of help. It is kind of like shooting a VW bug, and then trying to gut it. I would suggest skinning back and removing one piece at a time, and then laying the pieces on a tarp. Gutting it can be done, but I wouldn't try it unless you want a huge mess. You have to be fairly quick too, that hide (it weighs over 150 pounds by itself) can retain a lot of heat and spoil the meat...speaking of which...buy a new freezer or two!!! It is the best stuff on earth i am convinced.

Good luck...let em have it 2" below and behind the ear with something that isn't going to fragment.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Zedman,
I was lucky enough to hunt a wild bison here in Wyoming.

MG,

Where was that herd that you hunted?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
call TABLE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS in cheyenne, wyoming--they hunt out of south dakota on the UUU ranch--60,000 acres ---

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Madgoat said this earlier.

Quote:

I know here in Wyoming (and I think in UT and NM too) you can apply to be put on a list to hunt wild bison as they come out of Yellowstone and Teton Park.

I have heard of this occuring in Montana, but did not know it was done in Wyoming also.

Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JohnTG,
I hunted along the Grand Teton Park boundary on the USFS (NE of Jackson, I guess you would call them the Jackson bison herd). Every year in January, Wyoming accepts applications and creates this giant list of potential hunters (you pay a nonrefundable entry fee of $17 for nonresidents and I think $9 for residents). They pick the top folks off this list depending on the number of bison that become available (they go back and forth between the Park, USFS, and Elk Refuge). They then schedule folks to have a quick proficiency shoot and orientation, then you purchase your license and they turn you loose. In the past when bison were available by Cody (up the North Fork of the Shoshone), you could hunt there too but that hasn't happened in quite a while.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW Guys Thanks for all the info.

Obviously I was misinformed, but I was thinking the Yellowstone Herd was off limits due to the Green Peacers throwing their little protest fits a couple years ago.
Can you hunt without being in the middle of a circus?

Actually I was hoping to find a place or two closer to home. Since I first posted this I found a couple guys here at home who have hunted in the state and prices were $1500 to $1950. One is the Peterson Bison Ranch at Bassett,NE. and I don't know the name of the other one yet but I believe they are from the Gordon area. Will post more info as I get it.

Good Hunting, "Z"

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a little closer to home you might try the Terry Bison Ranch in Cheyenne. It's a canned hunt, but the draw odds are good! Just takes money.

Posts: 96 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I hunted a beatiful buffalo in Alberta in the Adam Ranch of 18.000 acres. Many big Buffaloes, very interesting area plenty of others big game. I can advises him.

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote