THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    what is the best bullet to use in my 300wsm for deer

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the best bullet to use in my 300wsm for deer
 Login/Join

posted
What is the best bullet to use in my 300wsm for deer. I have been using the 150gr SST by hornady, but I dont think they are expanding very good at close range. What do you guys thinks i chould try.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
If the SST is not expanding at close range then it is not performing as designed. These bullets are Btip clones.

If you like Hornday, go with the tried and true interlock original. I'd opt for the 165 boat tail. It is a sound choice.

For deer, straight up, there is no "best bullet" for the 300 WSM.

These will all work:

Scirocco, SST, Interbond, Accubond, CT-Nosler Btip/partition, Speer hotcore, Sierra GK, TSX, Corelokt, PowerPoint, I could go on.

Pick a couple, and see what shoots best. Then go hunting.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback i got some 165 grain noselr partitions i will loads some of those and see how they shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally load bullets that will shoot accurately in my rifles and the cheaper the better, that is barring the varmint or target bullets. I have shot one deer with the 165 SST out of my 300WSM at about 250 yds in the neck and it was a bang/flop deal. My 300 won't shoot a flat base bullet very accurately so if I were to try the Hornady Inter-lock it would be the boattail design, but I don't see any need to change. You might try the Sierra GameKing bullet as they have a terrific ballistic coeffient and will open up very readily. I think at the velocity of this cartridge a little heavier slug might give better on game results, even with my 30/06 the 180 grain bullets seemed to drop deer faster than the 150s, although I probably shot more deer with the 150 grain Inter-lock bullets in that caliber.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The first buck i shot with the 150gr sst ran for about 150 yards and finally dropped. The shot was well placed and hit the vitals perfect. The next buck i shot i shot in the neck and did not move a step. dropped him like a rock. i dont know what to try wheather to stay with the sst's or not

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
the buck ran 150 yards? what was the shot distance?

posted Hide Post
about 75 yards the neck shot was about 325yards

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it was one in a thousand bullets that shouldn't have passed quality control. Who knows. That is a long way for a deer to run with its lungs deflated by a 30 cal bullet.

You could always do what I do, use that partition you mentioned or a TSX or other tough bullet and aim for the shoulder/neck.

Drops them every time. I just watched another hour of our own antelope hunts and I just love to relive those moments.

posted Hide Post
have you tried those new 165gr TSX i thought i might try those

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 165TSX but the 168TSX is more accurate in my loads.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
if you dont mind me asking what loads do you have for your 300wsm for the 168gr tsx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion that the Accubond is a great bullet for deer.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by savage300wsm:
have you tried those new 165gr TSX i thought i might try those

No. I use the 168 TSX in my .06 and my brother's 300 SAUM as well as a friend's.

Very good bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a half a dozen deer with the 165 grain SST from my 300 WM. Some shots were as close as 50 yards some were 200. All the deer went down for good in 50 yards or less. I had two of the six that dropped dead on the spot.

The funny thing for me was that the two deer that were shot at 50 yards ran the farthest. It is probably because I jumped these deer from some cover and them shot them. They had a little adrenaline in their system when they were shot. The other deer had no idea I was there and were "calm". They dropped dead.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of 180's in the 300's... for deer alone I like Nosler B-tips. 165's or 180's would be my choice.

posted Hide Post
I use the 180gr tsx in my 300 wby. I hand load them to ~3200 fps. That rifle and that load have shot 5 deer. All bullets exited, shots from 50 yards too 280 yards. The bullets exited on all shots and when I made the load I purposely asked a buddy that I lent the gun and took him hunting to shot for the shoulder to see how they would hold up. He shot his buck at 50 yards broadside right through the shoulder. Bullet also exited the other shoulder leaving a hold so big we could put our fist inside. Tough bullet. My father in law used that gun and load last year and shot a big doe. Doe was standing facing away from him and slightly up hill. Shot pulverized 8 inches of spine and exited out the front. I shot my buck at 280 yards last year and spined him diagonaly. Bullet also exited.
All of my hunting rifles for this season are using tsx bullets. I have total confidence in that bullet and know that the bullet will go right through whatever it hits.
The 168gr should move along nicely in your 300 wsm. Imo load up some tsx and don't worry about it. Aim, shoot and go eat some steaks.

Posts: 23 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is surprising how much penetration and energy you get with a TSX due to it retaining weight. I shot through both shoulders of a deer with a 140 TSX in a 7mm08. You definitely have plenty of gun and don't need to load them to max velocity. I may shoot a deer this year with a 300SAUM and 168TSX's to see what it does.

Good luck with your hunting this year.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
I may shoot a deer this year with a 300SAUM and 168TSX's to see what it does.

I can tell you what it does to a deer or caribou. Big Grin

You'll be pleased.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck with plain old 150 gr. sierra spitzers in my winchester super grade 300 wsm. I am loading 72 grains of H-414, fed 215M primers, OAL at 2.845 velocity @ 3320 fps. Sighted in about 1.25 inches high at 100 yds., its dead on at 200. I've made 13 one-shot kills on deer, hogs and turkey out to 240 yds with this combo.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote