Find
Notify
Tools

helicopter hog hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted

Me and my uncle Mike with the largest hog we killed using night vision. I had an AR-10 and Mike was shooting an AR-15 in 223. The pig was hit twice on the shoulder with a 308 and 223 and still ran 75 yards.

My uncle Mike. This is the first time he has shot a living creature from a helicopter since he returned form Vietnam in 1969. Mike was a LRRP and the fellow who taught me to hunt and fish. He used to carry me on his shoulders rabbit hunting when I was barely out of short pants.

Me prepared for the mission. I have taken plains game from a helicopter in South Africa. Pigs are more fun.

My buddy Vern. He kissed the ground when he returned. Vern had flown a few drug interdiction missions when he was with the DEA task force a few years ago.

My buddy Chad. Chad is a Gulf War veteran and had ridden helicopters into battle, but had never shot at anything from the air. He is going to return with some Class III stuff and do a demo shoot for these guys.

Myself and 3 buddies just got back for a hog hunt with Cedar Ridge Aviation in Knox City, Texas. We did the helicopter hunt in Robinson 122s. We shot tricked out AR-15s equiped with Eotech sights. That is the most fun you will ever have shooting critters. Our group took 34 hogs and 9 coyotes. We also did a night hunt using a FLIR equiped Suburban to find the hogs and AR-10s equiped with Aries night vision scopes to do the shooting. We killed 24 and a rattlesnake. We also shot dove between the hog hunts and got to shoot clay targets and helium balloons with our rifles. Price of the hunt was 600/hour with a 2 hour minimum, 150/night/person lodging and 250 for the night hunt which include 60 rounds and a night's lodging. Great new lodge, great guys, great food and a ton of hogs and coyotes.

One of the best hunts I have ever done. I couldn't keep from hearing "Flight of the Valkaries" in my head while zapping the porkers.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
WILD! i bet that was a HOOT! tu2

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I've always said this is the most fun you can have with your pants on! I love using my M16 although the pilot doesn't like flying brass hitting his rotor blades. He also doesn't like it when a piece of hot brass lands in his shirt collar. One of them told me if it happens that he will make me puke my guts out. I made sure no brass got in the cockpit.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote