Find
Notify
Tools

Bucks in Velvet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
Bucks in Ohio are now in velvet. Is there a good way to tell, other than body size, which will become a good buck and which will just be average while the bucks are still in velvet?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin:

I'm writing in a half kidding fashion and in a really serious fashion. How did that buck behave as you looked at him now in June? Where did you see him? How long did he let you look at him? If the answers are a) He acted spooked b)He was sneaking off and not eating my foundation plantings c) See Ans."a" -then I would think that you might (I said "might") Smiler get a look at a pretty good buck in the Fall! Six pointers stay alive by being smart - very young before they became 6 pointers. Trust me.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Actually he wasn't spooked at all since I had him in the binos at probably 450 yards working down a fence line eating tender shoots. I could see he had antlers though not much of anything at this time of year.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been seeing them for a few weeks now.

Posts: 19441 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
There was an extremely nice 3 point in velvet hit on the highway this AM Mad

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Have seen several small by body size "spikes" in our yard. Just drove today down to NJ for a 4 year olds Bday party. On the way, the wife scared the heck out of me when she shouted BIG BUCK ! She meant it, and knows one when she sees one. Her description included a forked G2 and a long sticker with very good mass. We saw a nice NY buck on the way home, about 5 inches above his ears, and she scoffed at him and said, "no more Elk like than that." So to answer my own question, I guess they still have to grow a little before the antlers harden...

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Look for large diameter/circumference bases - i.e., look for mass. A good mature deer will have 3.5 inch circumference or greater when the antler is hardened.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Well, it gets easier the farther along they are. I saw a buck that had 12 distinct points last weekend, but there are some younger deer that have only reached the G2.

Base size is a good indicator, body size as well.

In all truth, you really won't know for sure until he gets farther along.

It is fun to watch them, especially if you can monitor their growth on a game camera. That is a lot of fun to identify different deer and watch their progress.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Just saw one at the lease last weekend that looked to be a 3.5 year old. He already has 8 distinct points and the way his main beams are growing, it looks like he might be a 10 pointer very soon. He also has great mass and browtines that are already 4-5 inches long. Although he's only about 16 inches wide. But, in 2 more years he'll be a great buck. We probably saw about 25-30 bucks last weekend including a bachelor group that had 10 in it. Most were in groups of 3-5. Can't wait to see them all in about another month and a half! clap

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote