Find
Notify
Tools

Veteran's Day Bull...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
Today was my sixth day of hitting it hard in the high country. At 7:15 this morning I cut a good bull track heading up the mountain. I followed, carefully glassing ahead as the track led into a likely bedding area. At 8:50 I glassed a patch of blond hair... the bull! Crouching down and getting a rest against a tree I "threaded the needle" between two spruce trees with the 30-06... blood imediately appeared. I let him have another where upon he staggered to his feet. I poured in two more shots (I don't stop shooting elk til' they're down), with the final shot crunching his neck and dropping him... he fell just three feet from where I'd shot him laying in his bed! The distance was 50 yards. He was bedded at 7,800 feet and just 1/8 mile from where I'd cut a big boar grizzly track two days earlier.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Just to let you know you aren't supposed to kill big elk like that with a 30-06. Well that is what a lot a guys around here say anyhow. Nice elk, good to see someone using the good ol 06 for there elk hunting what bullet were you using.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Brad that is awsome. Great bull. I'm going by memory but did you use the 168 TSX? How far away was he?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Nice work! What area were you in?

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Elk, and good shooting.
Like you I prefer to shoot till the job is done.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulation's - he is a nice one. Looks like winter has arrived there in Montana. Thanks for sharing - you don't mess around!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
What do you think? He about a 320-340 bull?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Doc, I edited the post to reflect the 50 yards I shot him at (actually, 51 yards per the Leica 1200 -grin-).

Just for you, here's a pic of the only 168 TSX that stayed in... it weigh's, of course, 168 gr's and is .660" wide:

Yeah, the 30-06 sucks...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a beautiful bull. Congratulations.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Brad
That is a very nice elk. That bullet looks like a Barnes advertisement. I have been loading 180 TSXs in my 300SAUM and they are very accurate and I had considered a 168 for a little more speed. Looks like they work okay. Have you shot others with the 168TSX and what results did you get?

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I have to admit, when I saw the topic, I thought someone had the nerve to complain about the Veteran's Day banner today. I suspect that I always assume the worst.

Good work -- you earned a nice bull.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats...beautiful gorgeous bull...I know you are proud of him and especially more so because of the investment of time in the hunt....super job.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad I've had about the worst hunting year this year than just about ever. That made it better. Awsome! Nice Bull!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
168 TSX- thats exactly what my kid used on his 5x5- his was over 250 yards and exited, out of an '06 also.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrat's Brad. Great story and a nice bull. The wife and I are headed out on Mon/Tue . Trying to get her a bull, all she has ever shot were cows. Hopefully I will be half as succesful.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Great animal, great work! Hopefully he wasn't too hard to get out of there. What a bullet sponge! I'll also shoot until they're down, when possible. Anything else is just leaving yourself open to unnecessary work.

Obviously the 06 is, was, and will be plenty of cartridge. Wasn't even aware of the debate! But I might give the Barnses another look.

Happy Vets Day!!

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Dwight, the only other thing I've taken with the 168 TSX is an antelope at a bit over 200 yards. It turned at the shot and went in at the rear hip and came out the chest, traversing about 20" of antelope.

LOL Charles, never even thought how that title might look til your post... now can't get it out of my head!

Chuck, glad to give your day a lift. Yesterday was one of those perfect, nearly windless and sunny days with mild temps in the upper 30's. Everything just "seemed" right... funny how that is.

All, thanks for the kind words. Funny, just Wednesday (after I jumped another big bull in his bed and couldn't get a shot) I was thinking how I'd shot a fair bit of bull elk in their beds, but they were always standing having sensed or seen me. It occured to me that one of these days I'd like to shoot one unaware of my presence, still in bed... Friday I got my chance!

Frank, sending good thought's your way... looking forward to some pics.

<allen day>
posted
Brad, congratulations!

That's what real elk hunting is all about!

You not only shot a wonderful trophy bull, but you did it the right way......the "veteran's" way........and I can't think of any hunting story from this season that's done more for me than yours. You deserve that bull, and how!

Looks like your '06/TSX combo does the job as well!

Again, you have my highest congratulations......! beer

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad--good job on a very nice bull--were you hunting south of town??? just curious cuz you said you cut a griz track--chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
Wonderful bull and great photo. It is odd how you can just have that feeling some days. Your story makes my day as well. Just came in from scouting for our deer opener Tuesday and that bull really gets the juices going. Hope you stopped by the coffee house for a latte with the greenies and that bad boy in your truck. Well done and I'm doing the Michigan happy elk hunter dance for you. clap.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Brad, great stalk and a great bull, nice going!

Steve

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful bull!

~Ann

Posts: 19235 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
nice bull!! I'm suprised there are any elk left with all those wolves around. Wink

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Very nice bull! Congratulations. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm pooped... out all day sledging elk meat off the mountain. As I alluded to, this bull was shot very near a big boar grizzly track. I can tell you what, I've never approached a kill so carefully... up-wind, with pistol drawn. Thankfully, there was no grizzly camping out!

Allen, thank you for such kind and heart felt words... your appreciation and understanding means more than I can say! BTW, that is one whale of a Cape Buff... dang, I didn't even realize you were back from Tanzania!

Custom 77, you got it, south of town.

Jeff, I did need a Latte but "settled" for a pint of Fosters... I'd forgotten what good beer those Aussies make!

Ivan, LOL, the wolves are ruining hunting, right? While not ideal, our situation here isn't as bad as some would present. The pickup truck hunters will continue to score every eight to ten years and those that will work hard and smart will remain consistantly "lucky."

All, thanks for the kind words and allowing me to share my hunt... just got a digital camera and am having fun with it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Job Brad! Now you can send me the backstrap you promised when I bought your Montana Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a few days of elk hunting South of Bozeman and now I know why I only saw a couple of cows. Congratulaions.