THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Prescription med for high altitude ??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prescription med for high altitude ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
I remember reading about this on some forum, I think it's used for altitude sickness but also helps your blood to absorb oxygen easier. Thing is that I can't recall the name. I need some before going to Colorado in Sept. for an elk hunt. My 660' elvation flatlander lungs can't adjust to 12,000' too easily. Anyone know the name of this drug and what the dosage is ????

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are refferring to " DIAMOX ". It has been used for lots of years to prevent altitude sickness, and also increase performance. A lot of the mountaineering websites cover this info on it.

Acclimation to me is always better than drugs, and only takes a couple days.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I use Acetazolamide (I think Diamox is the trade name) at 125 mg orally twice a day starting 12-24 hours before ascent, and discontinuing after the second or third night at the maximum altitude. It is a miracle drug for me but does not garantee you to not get altitude sickness.

Check out http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/AMS-medical.html#AMS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36644 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with ginkgo biloba. You need to start taking it several of days before you arrive and keep taking it during your trip. When I first moved to Colorado I started getting migraines when I hiked and hunted at high altitude. Gingko worked nearly 100% of the time in preventing these. I have relatives from Florida who have hunted with me and they have also had good results. I take 120Mg three times a day starting at least three days before my hunts. There are some significant possible side-effect to consider when taking Diamox.

http://www.ciwec-clinic.com/altitude/index.html

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
A few other tips for feeling good at altitude:
1. Eat regularly even when you are not hungry, small balanced snacks not candy bars but good trail mix, cheese, salami etc. good balance of protein and carbs, sweets are un necessary.
2. Drink more water than you think, drink when you are not thirsty. Thin air, breathing heavy and panting dehydrate you more than you know. Avoid alchohol (except in moderation).
3. At least twice a day chew a Rolaid and wash it down with water, take and use Aspirin for headaches.

Some effects that some people are afflicted with at altitude are loss of appetite, includes loss of thirst, headaches, upset stomach. Even if you take Meds to help combat altitude sickness also follow the above regimine. If you lose your appetite and thirst because of an upset stomach you will get weak, dehydrated and have headaches, so instead eat even when you are not hungry, drink more than you think you should even when not thirsty, be proactive rather than reactive, once you feel the effects you are behind the curve trying to catch up which is a bad place to be in on a hunt or a climb.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excercise and stay in shape. I lived for some years on sea level and travelled on a regular basis to La Paz in Bolivia which is also at 12.000 feet, by the way the highest commercial airport in the world.

The "mate de coca", a tea made from Coca leaves they serve the new arrivals in every hotel helps a little, too, in order to aliviate the "soroche", the effect is like a very strong coffee.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are some significant possible side-effect to consider when taking Diamox.

The side-effects of Acetazolamide (Diamox) are rare, mild, not serious, and go away (if you ever get them) as soon as you stop the medication.

People fool themselves into thinking herbal medications are safer than manufactured drugs. But in reality, it is the chemicals in the herbs that have the desired effects. But since they were not manufactured, you never know exactly how much of said chemical you are getting. All herbal medications should carry the same side-effect warnings as manufactured medications. BECAUSE THEY ALL HAVE SIDE-EFFECTS TOO! It is just that no government agency monitors them that closely.

That said ginkgo biloba has been shown to have some positive effects for altitude sickness. Just don't take it cause you get a fuzzy feeling that it is "all natural". It contains chemicals that HAVE side-effects.

P.S. The one side-effect that most people do get from acetazolamide is taste alteration especially to carbonated drinks like Coca-Cola.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36644 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need some before going to Colorado in Sept. for an elk hunt. My 660' elvation flatlander lungs can't adjust to 12,000' too easily.

I also live at <1000 feet, and use what I call "Altitude Sickness pills" when I hunt at elevations above 6-7000 feet each fall. I don't remember the name of the pills, but do encourage you to see your Dr. for a prescription. I take them at 1/2 what the Dr. origionally ordered for a day before getting to altitude, and for abuot 2 days after. After that I don't need them. If I don't take these I suffer from diareah, headache, upset stomach, etc. All the classic symtoms of altitude sickness. The only side effects I've noticed is some cotton mouth.

Bestest way of all is to aclimite yourself to the altitude, but I know that I don't have the vacation time to do that, so the pills work just dandy for me.

Posts: 49 | Location: Upper Michigan | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
P.S. The one side-effect that most people do get from acetazolamide is taste alteration especially to carbonated drinks like Coca-Cola.

I always considered it required a serious case of taste-alteration to like Coca-Cola. My children seem to suffer from that desease...

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always considered it required a serious case of taste-alteration to like Coca-Cola. My children seem to suffer from that desease...

Coca-Cola: The nectar of the Gods!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys !!! Unfortunately, due to a back surgery 12 weeks ago, I won't be going this year. I've had a bit of a relapse and just don't feel up to the trip. I just hope that my last trip (last year), really wasn't my "last trip" ever !!!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote