THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Can I shoot cast bullets in a Marlin?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I shoot cast bullets in a Marlin?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend told me that Marlin advises against shooting cast bullets in it's Model 1895 because of the button type rifling. Is this true?

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot cast bullets for years, in all types of rifles, with no ill effects. I know of no reason why they wouldn't work in the Marlin.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Fat Bastard>
posted
All guide guns, and as of recently, all Marlin big bores, have conventional deep-cut rifling. The earlier model 1895 had "Micro-groove" (shallower) rifling, which had trouble with cast lead.

<45/70 marlin>
posted
I have also shot cast bullets in all of my Marlin rifles for years with no problems at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Y'all! Glad to hear I can shoot cast bullets in the Marlin. Not being able to shoot cast bullets would have definitely put me off of buying a Marlin. I am guessing that in some instances where deeper penetration is needed the cast bullets fill the bill better than jacketed. They also tend to be easier on barrels. Are there issues with leading from cast bullets at .45-70 velocities?

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait,
Check out www.beartoothbullets.com It's a wealth of information about shooting cast bullets. Marshall Stanton is a great guy, and he will help you out in any questions you have...just post some questions on his forums. I use his 330gr cast bullets in my 444 marlin....my rifle has the micro-groove rifling, which many people have claimed doesn't shoot cast worth a damn...to them I say 'PHOOEY' These bullets shoot great out of my Marlin.

------------------
God Bless and Shoot Straight

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks .444! I am on my way there now!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait,

Email me off line and tomorrow I will call you as one of my good friends is a executive with Marlin. I can answer some of the questions and comments I have been reading but he always gives me the real story.

I love Marlins have some one of a kinds including ser# 05 of the MR7's with presentation wood and a 45-70 that has to be seen to be believed.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Busa Dave (edited 02-06-2002).]

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busa Dave:
Shark Bait,

Email me off line and tomorrow I will call you as one of my good friends is a executive with Marlin. I can answer some of the questions and comments I have been reading but he always gives me the real story.
Dave

Just curious... do you go to Marlin Talk forum? Ask your friend to drop on by there, there are some questions they have for him. Ed Chabot who also works for Marlin(is he your friend?) and drops by, but very sparingly. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty--yes my friend does go in from time to time on the Talk Forum but does not post as himself. In fact, I am going to start going over to the site because my friend informed me of a post that deals with converting 45-70 to a 50-110. He also told me that the was at the range yesterday shooting the new .17 and that he had a 1 hole group going for 4 shots and pulled the 5th on to open it to.5 inch. I am going to have to have one of those for spring turkey head and neck shots only! He tells me that the accuracy for that round and rifle are remarkable.

He knows what he is talking about besides his normal degree he used to be a practicing gunsmith I don't remember where he went to school for that. Before Marlin he ran the Custom Shop and Customer Service Dept at Colt many years ago. So when he tells me something I have yet to find fault from recommending a rifle barrel maker to a pistol smith. Because he is my friend I do not post his name but I will ask him questions.

DWM

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busa Dave:
Shark Bait,

I love Marlins have some one of a kinds including ser# 05 of the MR7's with presentation wood and a 45-70 that has to be seen to be believed.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Busa Dave (edited 02-06-2002).]

Hi Dave - Your email address is not on your profile. If you'd like to email me I am at david_flowers@dell.com. Thanks!