Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I had originally planned on using 180 grain core-lokts (cheap stuff from wal-mart) in my 30-06, but I'm questioning the reliability of the bullet. They shoot great, but I wonder if something like a nosler partition would be better suited for the job. Should I use the core-lokts or use a different bullet that would retain more weight? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Truth is YES it will work your (cheap stuff from wal-mart)

Will work fine.
There's no magic bullet for Elk thay ( Elk ) have been shot
with every thing from .22 rifle's to large bore's over
.510 in diamator .
it's all comes down to where you hit the Elk do you have time or will you make time to take the right shot and drop it right off or will you panic.
A well placed shot for a .22 will drop elk one right after another every time .

So with that long winded explantion out of the way you will be fine with what you have .
Just take your time . make the shot count.

I an about 10 other's would love to diswade you from using that type of bullet .
But when it come's right down to it . it's all about shot placement .....

Enjoy your hunt buddy .. pop a 6 point bull for all of us

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, I agree with Martin that bullet placement is very important and any animal hit in the vitals will surely expire appropriately. But if you're heading out of state for that elk hunt (that is, unless you lucked out and drew a CA tag) I'd personally opt for some more bullet. IMO, there's just too much on the line to sacrifice, spend some extra money on the ammo and go from there.

Good Luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course bullet placement is the key However, what is bullet placement?

By definition it is the ability to place a bullet through the vitals. THIS does NOT mean that our only choice is a standing broadside animal. That would be nice but to think that every elk is going to give you a comic book shooting mag broadside pose is just unrealistic.

A good premium bullet like a Barnes or Nosler will increase your ability to reach the vitals from off angles like quartering on or away thus giving you a larger envelope for a killing shot. And that is why I perfer to use them on bigger animals such as elk.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If there is a standard for elk, it would be the '06 with a 180 gr. bullet. The coreloct will do it's job until you push it beyond 2800 fps or so at impact -- and the 06 doesn't. The 180 will have excellent penetration. The universe is quiet, the Yin and Yang are in balance, and peace blossoms with the coming dawn. Or something like that, anyway. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The core lokt will be fine. That said, if you reload, I would opt for the added self assurance of a NP or Speer Grand Slam. If you do not reload, be assured that the core lokt will do its part if you do yours.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Sevens - I agree with verrocchio100 and surestrike, while shot placement is important, too many things can go wrong. In my own experience cheap bullets are false economy, premium bullets are a bargain compared to your other expenses on an elk hunt. FailSafes and Swift A-frames are my own preferences.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the premium bullets are not necessary and the corelokts will do the job, especially since they are apparenetly accurate out of your rifle.

having said that, if a partition or other premium bullet will give you more CONFIDENCE in your shot, then you should probably give them a try. if you can get them to shoot as well or better than the corelokts, then they certainly can't hurt; however, nothing trumps shot placement.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 4 elk with a Winchester M70 in a .280 Rem shooting Federal factory ammo with a 150 grain Nosler Partition. All of the elk travelled no more than 10 feet after being hit. Three shots hit the chest, one hit the spine.

I would should a core-lokt if they made it in a .280. I would never, I repeat never, use the ballistic tip on anything bigger than a small whitetail. I have seen three deer and one elk hit with the ballistic tips. All ran 50 to 150 yds. The elk required a finishing shot, the deer died slowly.

Use the best premium bullet that shoots well in your gun.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The Corelok is a good bullet from the 06. I like the NP but, but my buddy shoots the 180gr Corelok & has no problem getting his elk. As others have said, it doesn't give you as many options but as long as you know that you're in good shape.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 06 is too slow to require a premium bullet, might not hurt but at that speed some bullets might not expand enough, with a good shot cheaper bullets could be more effective.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of THE absolute longest range elk kills I have personally witnessed were with cheapo Core Lokt 180 grain slugs out of .30-06's. They work fine.

I have gravitated towards the NP's for years as I used to shoot fairly high velocity rds when I first got into guns and hunting. Now as I'm shooting more and more calibers that could be best described as "moderate" velocity rds the NP's have just gone along for the ride. I know just WHAT I can expect them to do so feel very comfortable with them.

I'm also a guy who likes a little insurance. Sure a regular old Sierra or Hornady will generally work just fine the vast majority of the time. I prefer a little insurance so use a premium.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
The hunt is not a guided hunt, just a hunt with some of my family that lives up there. I doubt they use premium bullets, but you never know. I think I'll go ahead and give something like the nosler partition a try and if it shoots poorly I can always go back to the core-lokts. Tehy sound like they'd wok. I doubt I'd be taking risky shots as this will hopefully be my first elk and deer so I'll be looking for something close to a broadside shot within 250 yards or so. As long as I can hold the crosshairs steady, I can handle the rest.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes to much effort and time not to mention expense to hunt elk, and it don't matter much if you are on your own, on a guided hunt or what have you. Good bullets are cheap, you are not going to shoot a whole lot of them other than what you need to zero your rifle in and the one or two you are going to need to collect your game. Of late I been shooting a 300 WSM and 180 gr Failsafes. I sort of like it, I have found that out side of checking zero, I use very few during the season, last year, I used 9 bullets besides the 3 I put on paper to check zero.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good deal then Sevens! Sounds like you know what you're doing, just post some pics if you harvest one!

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Sevens, in my 06' the two most accurate bullets I've found are the 180 Hornady and 180 Nosler Partition (I use the protected point). The 180 Hornady/Corlockt is perfectly fine 99% of the time. But as Murphy seems to hate the hunt above most things I hunt with the Partition's and plink with the Hornady's... I call the Premium's "1% Bullets".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 180 grain corelokt out of my 300 Win Mag because the airline wouldn't let my ammo on the plane in those plastic cartridge boxes. I bought one box, took three to get it sighted in and used one on an elk. Found it perfectly expanded under the hide on the far side after it broke the shoulder. Range was 200 or so yards. The reloads I wanted to use had 200 grain Speer hotcor spitzers in em and they couldn't have done any better.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If you cant get it done with a 180 gn Hornady, core-loct or Mag-tip, then it aint the bullets fault.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote