Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Cougar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted
I hear Idaho has numerous cougars, and the best way to hunt them is in the winter with a pack of hounds.

I've tried calling them in with predator calls the past two years with a friend in Eastern Washington.... not much luck. So thought maybe I would try this method.

I'm looking for a guide/outfitter with a long proven track record for putting their hunters on some cats.

Who comes highly recommended?

Appreciate the assistance.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FOsteology

Private message sent.

Steve Lefforge

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several good outfitters on the Middle Fork. Flying Resort Ranches hunts cats out of the Flying B, although they may be booked this year already. Also, Travis Bullock hunts down the middle fork around Big Creek, also a good area. I just returned from an elk hunt in Brush Creek, just west of the Flying B. There was tons of cat sign and we saw wolves and bears. Hunters I know in the area who hunted later in September also saw tons of cat sign also. Call Flying Resort Ranches out of Salmon, talk to Tammi and if they can't take care of you, they will know who might be able to. The only way to hunt cats with any real success in Idaho is with dogs and the hunting is cold and be prepared to do some real hiking in very steep rough terrain. Good luck.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and leads.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you'd like to pm me, I would be happy to give you contact info and discuss the area and the opportunities in much more detail. This area is in the Frank Church Wilderness area and is the "winter range" for most of the deer and elk on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. So the cats are there as well in January and February.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote