Tools

How many bears have you killed?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CK
posted
Gents,

Just thought I would throw this one out there;

How many bears (black bears, brown bears and others?) have you killed in your lifetime.

I've only killed 3 - 1 brown bear and two black bears.

Tell us your score?

To me, bear hunting is the ultimate hunt.
Predator against predator.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One griz. But I did help to finish off a black bear. Does that count? The griz was mine, the Black bear was my brother-in-law's.

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some anti bear hunting asshole is gonna read this thread and use it against us.

Who needs a "body count" anyway?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I got a nice black bear in Manitoba in 2000. The only bear for me so far, I may go to NB this fall if I get drawn for moose, I'll add bear once drawn.

I don't score my game, but the bear weighed around 300 pounds and was approximately 4 years old.

------------------
~Ann

Every day spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruce Has a good point. I am sure that there are some out there who would like to have the opportunity to hunt bear in the future. And I see no reason why we should give the anti more reason to yell louder.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ross Spagrud>
posted
Yeah, that's right! You nasty hunters just
sit down and be quiet and the antis will
leave us all alone.

Heaven forbid we should have the audacity
to discuss the game animals we have had
the great good fortune to harvest.

BTW I have been lucky enough to take four
black bears as well as an incredible interior
Grizzly. I sure hope nobody uses this info
against me.

Ross

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I am hoping that one day I will have the good fortune to hunt a bear.

I agree with both Bruce... and Ross:
We should not be afraid to discuss our sport. But that is a lot different from being asked to provide a numerical "score".

Each hunting trip is a privilege wether we are lucky enough to kill anything or not.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
I'm so sick of walking on egg shells because some bleeding heart politicaly correct jackass wants to use my words against me.
I really wish I had killed a bear so I could report it hear. So far in life I have not hunted bears but once and all I saw was scat. I'm young and my time will come. I plan to hunt them again this spring if the foot heals by time to go.

And for all you Anti's if you are monitering this forum: Why don't you go some where else and maybe get a life. So you don't like me or my hunting heritage (which by the way was the way of your forefather too!)Thats ok you don't have to,and I'm not asking you to but leave me alone. We (hunters) don't show up at Starbucks protesting the slaughter of inocent little coffee beans in order for you to sit around reading books on enviromental crap all day. No we leave you the heck alone. Why can't you pay us the same common curtisy?
X-Ring AKA Scooter, or as my mother calls me Scott Blair

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

<500 AHR>
posted
I have shot one griz and one black many moons ago. No desire to do it again, although I think my daughters should!

X-ring,

I like your idea about protesting the slaughter of innocent coffee beans in front of Starbucks. I mean I really do. Let us give them back some of there own medicine and we can enjoy a good cup of jo doing it.

Todd

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
1 black bear in Alaska. Kilbuck Mountains...with my 30-06. Second big game animal I ever took.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<DavidP>
posted
Two Black Bears, both taken on POW, ALaska.
One 6' and One 6 1/2'. I'll have to go back for the 7' plus.

I am booked for Kodiak in 2004. Can't wait!!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<csj>
posted
Here is the bear I shoot 2 years ago in CA. Unfortunately I could not score him do to the headshot disintegrating the back of his scull. I was shooting Nosler Partitions out of a 300 Win Mag. The bullet completely came apart with no exit.

http://users.ntr.net/~csj/cjbear2.jpg

CJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Xring,

You can have the two blacks I've shot for your count. The Anti's can kiss my bohunk ass. And I am seriously considering the Starbucks thing. The Starbucks on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables. It ought to make a real impression here in the land of special people & yuppies, where political correctness and being special is a way of life.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Zero,

Never been bear hunting, maybe I should go.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Gents!

I say, screw the tree huggers!

If you hunt bears legally you've got nothing to worry about. As matter of fact there are laws that forbid the tree hugger/PETA types from interfering with hunters, at least Alaska does........I think it's a shame we should have to worry about saying how many bears we've taken in your lifetime, especially seeing that we as a group hunt within the game laws! The tree huggers/PETA folks are law breakers! We've all seen the crap they pull at least once a year, if not more, and they love to brag about it!

Sound off men!

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 01-05-2002).]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I have taken four black bears, and one fantastic silvertip mountain grizzly. As far as I'm concerned, the antis don't like ANY sort of hunting, and they may all Phuck themselves.....

I sure as heck won't hide my activities from some milk liver bunny hugger - that's for darned certain...

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had the oppurtunity to hunt bear, but saw a nice sow with cubs in southern Colorado last year near, of course, Bear Lake. They were grazing on berrys. My hunting buddy, haveing no fear, or no common sense, walked out toward them to within 50 yards and took some nice pics of them, with me covering him with the only thing we had without hooks on it, my 9mm.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
A few big ones, one giant one and a few small ones. All blacks. When Santa delivers a scanner (late delivery?) I'll post a few for ya. sure-shot

P.S. The antis have their agendas why can't we have ours?

<X-Ring>
posted
E terry
Is your friends name Brad? He sounds like an old friend I had named Brad P. from Idaho Falls. We where coming home from gathering up our equipment after a summer of logging fire wood for a living. When I came around a bend in the road to see the cutiest little black bear cub standing on it's rear legs waist deep in berry bushes of some sort. I stopped the truck to get a picture of the little cub, and Brad bails out and trys to catch it. It's running and bawling. I'm standing there with a 22lr waiting to see momma show up and kill Brad. Luckly she never showed. It must have been an orphan.
He got back in the truck and gives me this why are you as white as a sheet look. I could have killed him myself right there It's funny now, but as it was happening I was scared spitless!
X-Ring

------------------

[This message has been edited by X-Ring (edited 01-05-2002).]

<ovis>
posted
I've taken a bunch, in front of hounds, over bait, and sitting on grain fields all over N.A. I've taken them with a longbow, rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader over the last thirty years. I now am privilidged to live in Alaska and while all my previous bears have been blacks, I'm hoping this coming season will be the one for my Brownie. As long as I can draw a breath, I'll bear hunt. Always have, Always will! We bear hunters have nothing to be ashamed of unless we give in to those that would impose their beliefs on us whether we like it or not. Those "people" are just no part of my agenda.

<heavy varmint>
posted
X-ring and E Terry, I am a coal miner, a coal mine attracts bear since they are usually miles from anything and have a trash dumpster. One evening a man I work with left his dinner bucket (lunch box) outside while he went in the bath house to get ready for work, a good sized black bear sniffed it, grabbed it, and was waddling away with it when another man yelled to him "A bear just stolled your dinner bucket" he ran out the door and after the bear, the bear ran from him up a hill, he chased it till he could'nt run any further! When asked what he would have done if he would have caught it, he said with confidence, "I would have got my bucket back".

<DavidP>
posted

Here is my attempt at posting a photo.

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<phurley>
posted
I have killed one 91/2 ft. Brown Bear near Cold Bay Alaska. A one shot kill using a .300 Win mag. loaded with 200 gr. Nosler Partitions at 2900 fps. This was a head on shot with the Bear standing facing me at 90 yards. At the shot three more Bears stood within 20 yards, to see what the noise was all about. They had been feeding in a Salmon stream the adjoined the one we had crawled up to get the shot, completely unaware of our presence and we of them. My guide said G.D. shoot bears. My brother-in-law and another hunter and the guide shot two more Bears that were approx. 71/2 footers, the fourth Bear skedattled, leaving to his rear sod that would weigh 10 pounds flying into the air, and sounded like a horse pounding the tundra. The two dead Bears besides mine required five and four shots respectively from a .375, a 30-06 and another .300 mag before they gave up the ghost. That is enough Big Bear hunting for my lifetime. Today when I go back to Alaska I pack a .340 Wby or .358 STA, and practice weekly, I gained a healthy respect for the power and speed of the big Bears that day. I would like to take a big Black someday. Good shooting.

------------------

<JJS>
posted
One black bear in Sequoia National Forest. Very tough hunt! Hopefully a big brownie in the future.

<X-Ring>
posted
As I stated before. I have only hunted bear once and plan to do so again.
I have a question for those of you who have hunted them.
How is a bear measured? I allways hear you guys say it measured 71/2 foot, or 71/2 squared. The squared part is what throughs me. I would asume that you measure from tip of snout to tip of tail. What does squared mean? Square foot of hide?
X-Ring

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does shooting nuisance bears count? Here in Alberta if you are the property owner or have his written permission, shooting black bears is varmint shooting. I would get a lot of requests from wannabe farmers/ranchers that I worked with to take care of bears on their property. Never hunted black bears as a game animal though. Oh, and one polar bear many years ago in Churchill Manitoba. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Measure hide length from nose to tail, measure hide width from from front paw to front paw. Add together both measurements and divide by two. That is your squared measurement. Measure the hide on flat ground and try to lay it out evenly. You lose some measurement after the hide is tanned due to shrinkage. sure-shot

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
One six foot black bear. With my 308 and 180 gr factory core-lokt.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBBruce:
Some anti bear hunting asshole is gonna read this thread and use it against us.

Who needs a "body count" anyway?

BBBruce, better said, impossible!!!!

Shame on you fellows!!

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<modle 88>
posted
I have not shot any yet but hope to in the spring,my dad on the other hand has shot around 40 blacks in about his 30 years of hunting, they are a pain here they will take a couple of cows around the farms each year we have had them follow people out on a walk all the way toward there home it is a bit scary.

<X-Ring>
posted
Gustavo & BBB
While I repect your opinion, and both of you as fellow hunters. I must disagree.
The way the anti's will win the right to take away our rights. Is for us to keep walking around being PC. People will vote for their anti hunting laws. Thinking they are doing the populeses bidding for they will not hear our voices if we continue to keep quite! I for one will be heard.
I am a hunter! I do kill my own food! I do hunt for sport. I don't always kill something for me that is just part of the hunt, but I'm just as happy when I return home empty handed. For I have still spent the day doing what I like in the great out doors that God so masterfully knitted together.

Sure Shot thanks for the info. I have often wonder that and now I know.
X-Ring

------------------

<Ross Spagrud>
posted
Shame.........

On those who cower in the face of the
antis and apologize for who and what
they are.

Shame.........

On those that feel a need to justify
their existence to those with neither
the ability nor the inclination to understand.

Shame.........

On those do not seek to educate those
that both have and do.

Double Shame....

On those who do not fight to preserve,
protect, promote and enhance our wonderful
and glorious outdoor lifestyle.

Did I mention I also got a Grizz in 1988??

Ross

<Vasa>
posted
Ross;
I like what you are saying - we do not need to apologize for being hunters.

I like your rifles, we had a short chat at the BCWF convention a couple of years ago.

Vasa

<Madddman>
posted
I've taken 4 blacks in New Brunswick,1 good one almost 400lb with the rifle,1 decent,185 lbs with the compound and 2 small bears about 100lb with the rifle.
AND proud of them all.
Mad

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Well in case any of those peta idiots read this post I want them to know that I really really want to kill a few bears

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X-Ring:
Gustavo & BBB
While I repect your opinion, and both of you as fellow hunters. I must disagree.
The way the anti's will win the right to take away our rights. Is for us to keep walking around being PC. People will vote for their anti hunting laws. Thinking they are doing the populeses bidding for they will not hear our voices if we continue to keep quite! I for one will be heard.
I am a hunter! I do kill my own food! I do hunt for sport. I don't always kill something for me that is just part of the hunt, but I'm just as happy when I return home empty handed. For I have still spent the day doing what I like in the great out doors that God so masterfully knitted together.

Sure Shot thanks for the info. I have often wonder that and now I know.
X-Ring

X-Ring,

I really appreciate your words, please let me go straight. I LOVE TO HUNT, I LOVE RIFLES AND RELOADING, and I'm after the killing as most of us here,

...but bragging about a simple body count ?? where is the value added to us ?? did I miss an important hunting lesson...I think not

I hunted my country extensively, once in Africa, and never felt the need to brag about how many animals I've taken, nor the trophies quality, just the HUNT

IMHO, Gustavo

PS: ahhhh!! if we are not capable of doing us the favor of being objectives, we sure are collaborating with the antis...

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
Gustavo
Point well taken friend. I would agree that bragging about body counts really serves no purpose. I was just worked up about the thought that people feel they have to watch what they say about hunting at a hunting and shooting web sight. That pisses me off for lac of a better discription.
I still think it's a sad time we live in. In hunting bears, or what ever your game of choice is. We are not brakeing any laws. They make us out to be the bad guys, but they are the one's that are breaking laws by harasing us in the field, chaseing game away to spoil hunts.
It's just like the other fight I'm unwillingly in. I'm a biker, I can't wear a helmet due to closterphobia. Luckly I live in a state where I don't have to, but bikers all over this country have been forced to wear them. If I go down with out my helmet I die. I know that, and that is knoledge I live with every time I ride. That helmet will not stop the wreck, it will not protect anyone but me, but people feel they have the right to tell me I have to wear it. Why? It protects no one but me. So what are they going to do by forcing it on me. I my case probly kill me because I can't concetrate on the road for the phobic crap going on in my head.(Very distracting)
By the way I recomend them to anyone who rides if they are not phobic like me, I just don't think they have the right to force it on anyone!
Anyway just like this anti hunting debate. The people who are looking to regulate or outlaw it are outsiders looking to inflick their will on others.
After they are done screwing us up they will move on to distroy someone elses life.
X-Ring

------------------

[This message has been edited by X-Ring (edited 01-06-2002).]

<ovis>
posted
I don't think anyone here is bragging or taking a body count. I feel that the people that CHOSE to participate were just talking with others of their ilk that enjoy the same things. No harm done. Shame? You feel.....
well.....if you have to look at us as ashamed, nevermind, you wouldn't understand anyway.

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Gents!

Body count? We are talking about legally taken bears WE HAVE TAKEN IN OUR LIFE TIME!
Nothing more or less- Would it be any different if I posted: How many bears we WISHED we've taken in our lifetime, OR how many deer you have taken in your lifetime?

My trophy bears are hanging in my house displayed with pride; and I really like to hunt bears. It's the type of hunt that your ducks better be all in a row or it will bite you back!

My whole point was; is there as many of you folks that have gotten the bear hunting bug like I have.

Hell, there's books written on people who have taken hundreds of bears.........Guess what.....That's not a secret either.

So get off the body count thing....It's OK to talk about the animals you've taken.

We are hunters, it's what we do and what we are!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an organization in British Columbia named "Bear Watch." They are Disney educated, well meaning, unknowledgeable urbanites who are so far removed from the reality of the bush that they actually believe their own rhetoric. They actually believe that black bears are at risk of becoming endangered in BC. Govt is afraid of them because vote sucking politicians will not back up the ministries when it comes to bush-based reality.

Whether we like it or not, this outfit and others like it want to end all bear hunting. If you feel strongly enough about your hunting rights that you feel anger, then please, sacrifice your desire to brag and vent by writing things that will support our cause. Post a photo of you and your kid in a touching scene amidst beautiful scenery out bear hunting. When the day comes that you look back with regret on a sport that might have been saved, it won't make you feel better that posting a body count on the internet was one of your "rights."

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote