THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    YEEEEHAAAAA - I'm going Alg Hunting! (advice please)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YEEEEHAAAAA - I'm going Alg Hunting! (advice please)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My exchange has come off and I'm heading out to Sweden for a week from 30th Nov for that Alg! Not height of season I know but I'm only paying for flight and hire car!

Flying I think to Karlstadt and meeting up with my new found friend from Svenska Jagareforbundet.

The plan is for 3 or so of us to hunt with a dog for the weekend and then relocate to his mates for some mixed roe, fallow and Alg.

I'll be taking my 9.3x62 with 1.5-6x42 some warm silent clothing (including hat), my 7 power bino's, a sharp knife, a good pair of neoprene lined wellingtons, a small daysack, cleaning kit and a large bottle of Scotch.

Advice on bullet choice would be welcome.

I have 286gr partition at 2,200fps, 270gr speer at 2,400fps or 232gr Norma Vulkan at 2,600fps. All are equally accurate but past 150 the partition is dropping real fast.

Any advice on methods etc would also be welcome. Also is there a gun shop near Karlstadt where I can stock up on some hard to get Norma cases and bullets?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I think you are going to have a really good time during your moose hunt in nov. Useally moose hunting here in Sweden is done with a lot more people hunting together than 3. If there is only 3 hunters involved the hunting is more easy to arrange and often very effective, IF you have a good dog.....

Late nov could be VERY cold, even snow...... Karlsdad is pretty far south so you should be fine. Bring some matches so you can lite a fire if you are sitting still for a long time and nothing is happening

I shot a 200 kg 8 pointer bull last sat with the new Nosler part. 18,5 gram. The bullet whent thru behind the shoulders and there was not mutch of a bullet test to report about. The ballistic of the heavy Nosler isn�t a big problem for you. Most mooses are taken on ranges shorter than 100 m. Of corse there is longer shots to but the ballistics of the 9,3X62 is quite enough for moose in my opinion.

The Vulkan bullet is also a exellent choise. I have a few friends that together probably have taken 30-40 moose with it and they love it. The Vulkan is not the very best choise in some other calibers and bullet wegths though.

You will do your hunting quite close to the willage where the Norma factory is located. I think you will get the best idea about where to get brass and bullets fom your hunting buddies here in Sweden.

I would add a good thermos bottle to your "equipment list"

Go for something peaty from Islay to keep the spirits in a good moode during the nights

Tomorrow (25:th) is the last day before the rut stop here upp north where I live. Me and a friend are going for some cals tomorrow morning.

Good hunting!!

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Stefan got it most covered. But I'd like to add raingear. The weather can be anything from snow or rain to sunny. And if you have the opportunity to follow hundf�raren (the guy with the moose dog), do it! Then you'll have the biggest chance for some really exciting hunting. The late season is in many aspects better than the early season except for the weather, so that's nothing to worry about.

Stefan,
I haven't had a chance to try out my .375 on moose yet (f�rutom en tj�der f�r finnspetsen! Den gick faktiskt att �ta). My young moose dog hasn't proved to be useful yet. Even though I've only been hunting alone with her. I hope for better luck in October.

Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou Stefan and PCH

If the Vulkan will handle a shoulder shot or a raking shot I'll use that if not I'll take the Partition.

I was going to ask about cows with calves. I had heard that when shooting cows with calves it is correct practice to shoot the calve first as it may still be dependent on the mother. Obviously I plan on asking my hosts their practice but I did wonder. Also I seem to remember something about the big bull coming behind the cow so to hold off shooting cows may be a good thing?

Another thing was do any of you have the 'clock' diagram of shot angles?. I suspect as a beginner I will be wise to limit myself to plain broadside shots with no more than a very small amount of angle or a atraight facing shot (as some might be driven?) all at no more than a walk (if they won't stop when I whistle) The thought of wounding one in front of someone I've only just met doesn't bear thinking about!

Anyone a budding story teller able to paint a picture of a typical small group of hunters out for some sport?

Apologies for this level of interrogation - forewarned is forearmed.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
[B]Thankyou Stefan and PCH

If the Vulkan will handle a shoulder shot or a raking shot I'll use that if not I'll take the Partition.

B]

Go with the Partition, as the Vulcan has a to low SD factor. Another good choices for your 9,3 are Norma Alaska 286 gr, Norma Oryx 286 gr or the RWS Brenneke TUG 300 gr. You can get them at next until every iron monger in Sweden.

I have search on the net for the "Moose clock" but found nothing. Shotplacement, however, is principially the same as for a stag - a moose is a stag with a hump-back. And the 9,3 bullet penetrates the heavy bones without splitting into smithereens - it�s probably the ideal moose caliber!

I really hope you will enjoy your hunting trip to Sweden.

Yours,

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Swedish hunters are usually very meat consciuos (sp?). Therefore, taking anything but broadside or neck shots are most likely not very popular. The only exception would be wounded animals. Preparing for the eventuality of taking raking shot or texas heart shot is not needed in my opinion.

Calves are always shot before cows. But especially when hunting with dogs the cow may leave the calves behind. Then it's more or less impossible to know if she has any calves.

Peter

one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
quote:

Another thing was do any of you have the 'clock' diagram of shot angles?. I suspect as a beginner I will be wise to limit myself to plain broadside shots with no more than a very small amount of angle or a atraight facing shot (as some might be driven?) all at no more than a walk (if they won't stop when I whistle) The thought of wounding one in front of someone I've only just met doesn't bear thinking about!
.[/B]

I have the "clock" scanned but I dont know how to get it into the message....

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Fat Bastard>
posted
Jeff Cooper wrote about his moose hunting experience in his book To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth. I believe he was in Norway, not Sweden, but the procedure sounds similar. He tells a pretty good story.

Trivia: the North American "elk" got its name from early European settlers calling it an alg, or elg. By the time they saw their first North American moose, it was too late to reassign the name, so they stuck with the native name "moose".

<Fat Bastard>
posted
Now it shows up

[This message has been edited by Fat Bastard (edited 09-25-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post

I would be very surprised if your host tell you to first shoot the cow and then the calf. The practise here is to always shoot the calf first and then the cow.

The calf is going to have a very tuff time to get thru the winter without the cow. This is due to the fact that moose eat quite a different diet during the time of year when there isn�t any leafs or grass to feed on. The calf have to learn this from the cow. There have been cases where the calf have been adopted by other cows but I think that�s very rare.

I think you will do just fine when I read your thougths about angels etc. A good rule to remember is when you se more than two pairs of legs when the moose is standing still the angle is there. This means if you se only two legs the angle is not so big that you have to compensate for it. When you se four legs when the moose is standing still the alarm clock sounds

To take a shot when the moose face you dead on is a gamble. The vital area is very small and there is a big risk of nasty wounds if you miss only by a few inches.

A whistle useally works good as a "emergency brake" if the moose is not to disturbed allready.

Bullet slection.........

I have no intention to start a "I know witch bullets that perform best" discussion here!!

BUT I can assure you that the 15 gram Norma Vulkan, with the deep cannelure at the base, loaded to about 770 m/s will perform good on every kind of shot you will take on a moose. If you allready have them in stock I would recomend using them.

I have also not so good experiences with the 18,5 gram Norma Alaska bullet. Separation of lead and jacket is a problem I have seen on several shots at moose with the Alaska in 9,3.

The RWS TUG is a bullet I never have had any experinece with so i cant really say anything about it.

Fritz! I hope I�m not stepping on any toes here, this is just my experiences.

I got a calf this morning!!

First we was fooled again by the cow and calf we had some close encounters with earlyer this fall. After we had given up hunting I spotted another cow and calf on a distant field. After a bit of exiting stalking I shot the calf with my brand new 6,5X51 rifle.

Peter.
Congrats. to the Cappercaleig (funny spelling I suppose, there is probably more funny words here so another might not matter). The .375 H&H isn�t the ultimate bird gun but this proofs that you can handle it !!

Young moose dogs can act really stupid sometimes, give it some time and you will probably have a good hunting buddie. To be able to train it by your selfe is a luxary few have.

Tomorrow morning I will go to "Br�nnland" to check out my black grouse mountain. There have been quite a lot of them there during the moose hunting.

Good hunting everybody!!

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Fat Bastard>
posted
test

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope there are some moose left. I leave in a little more than a week.Sure wish there were more hunters with Janne's luck.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whish you all the best luck in Sweden. You are in for a hopefully great experience. Moose hunting with dogs are so much different from stalking roe and red deer.
All the technical questions are well covered by our Sweedish friends, so I wont add any to what thy say.

Fat Bastard
I remember the Jeff Cooper story. It was in southern Norway all right. It was a feature in a local gun paper, and he was using if I remember right, a Rem. 600 in 350 Rem Magnum. The bullet did not open up, but plowed a .35 caliber hole right through the moose bull who rolled over dead. When the hunting buddies commented of what they see as a bullet failure, old Jeff said "But it did work, didn�t it ?? "
Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:

Fritz! I hope I�m not stepping on any toes here, this is just my experiences.

Stefan.

I�m not that guy who runs crying to mother for being stepped at the toes. It�s OK.

I haven�t heard about jacket separation with the Alaska, but I have experienced it myself with the Norma Vulcan. I had shot my first roebuck, and found the jacket of the .30 cal. Vulcan bullet on the ground. It had separated when exiting. Since then I never use the Vulcan, although the roebuck dropped dead in the shot.

When we consider those less conforting experiences of both the Alaska and the Vulcan, perhaps the best advice would be the Norma Oryx 286 grains. I have heard nothing but good about the Oryx bullet.

Fritz

[This message has been edited by Fritz Kraut (edited 09-26-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear Fritz!

I also have some less than satisfactional experiences with the Vulkan bullet. My first moose was a calf at aprox. 150 m with a 6,5X55. The 140 gr Vulkan totally lost all the lead and the bullet only managed to penetrate one shoulder. I got the calf but never used the 140 gr vulkan in 6,5 again.

It seemes like Vulkan bullets work better in some calibres and are total junk in other. The 180 gr. .30 is another one I�ll avoid att all costs.

The Oryx is indeed a fine bullet, accurate to! I haven�t seen any 18,5 grams in 9,3 yet thoug. The 15 gram Oryx in 9,3 is really good, good expantion and retaining weight.

Stefan.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we should turn back to our english friend 1894�s first question: he�s already got 286 grainers Partition loaded. That would certainly be good enough - go with them!

Fritz K.

<PCH>
posted
Talking about Oryx bullets it might be worth mentioning that they are known to feed bad or not at all in some rifles. However Norma is supposed to change the shape of the bullet into a more pointed style which would take care of the problem. I haven't used them on anything but a few Roebucks but all reports are that they're great for moose and keep their weight above 90% or so. And they're cheap too!! So I would certainly bring back a couple boxes to UK.

Stefan,
Yes, a 300 gr soft point is a bit overkill for capercaillie. But it was nice to prove to myself I can handle it.
BTW, the capercaillie population seems to be quite good this year. It's more or less impossible not to get one with finnspetsen

Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
PCH.

I have notised that the Oryx is a bit hard to get to feed properly in many rifles. In the 9,3X62 it work without problems though, probably due to the large dia. of the bullet.

It seems like it�s a good year for black grouse to. I got 2 this morning with my rifle. And I saw at least 20 more

Stefan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a bit of ballisticating, had a look at my wife's horse (500kg) as a (potential unfortunately) target and bought 150 18.5gram partitions! That is a serious amount of bone. My vulkans have not got a cannelure to hold the core and I don't think the Partitions drop is really an issue at with that sort of target size and range.

I spoke to Nosler who also tested (but did not print data) VV N140 a max load of which was 56grains for 2,342fps. I've also invested in a drop tube and will see if I can squeeze an extra 100fps out of mine which is currently on 55gr compressed for 2,200fps with no pressure signs I gave up because I couldn't fit any more in.

I will now be stalking exclusively with this rifle until I go so I hope there will be some Muntjac, Roe and Fallow with some big holes in them. I might even ditch the shooting sticks in preparation!

Many thanks for all your help - just picture my face when/if I see my first moose when the last deer I probably saw was a muntjac of 12kg!

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 09-27-2001).]

<Tim1>
posted
Hi 1894

Please can you let me have details of how you arranged an exchange hunt? After reading a recent short article in 'The Telegraph' concerning moose hunting both myself and my brother are interested in trying our luck.

Thankyou for any help or advice you may be able to give.

Best wishes

Tim

<JOHAN>
posted

Since you are going to Karlstad to hunt I suggest that you plan a trip to normas factory in �motfors, its not very far form the border to Norway and I know they take well care of visitors. You will get a round trip at the plant and shoot the breze with equal riflenuts. give them a call or e-mail. I would hav opt for the Nosler or Oryx bullet in 286 grain. Bring warm clothes and be prepared. What kind of cases are you looking for?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to do that and I'm travelling by train to Karlsdad from Stockholm on the Tuesday and only hunting half of Friday I will speak with my host and see if it could be done so I didn't miss any hunting. The only complication is that I am no longer hiring a car.

I'll be after Oryx's in 6.5, 7 and 9.3mm and 9.3x62 cases.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 10-15-2001).]

<Made in Sweden>
posted
I guess the 9,3 is as close to a perfect moosegun you�ll ever get. And about the bullets, I have tried all of the mentioned brands and weights, and I have never had a single bulletfailure. Moose is a relatively easily killed animal, and just about anything bigger than a 30-06 will kill a big moose regardless of bulletconstruction. And I think the same thing goes for bullet placement. I you just put the bullet anywhere near, lungs, heart or spine it will kill the moose (eventhough you may have to track the animal a couple of hundred meters before you find it)
After all its not a coincidence that a lot of swedish moose are shot with the little 6,5x55. Just take a big bullet in 9,3 and load it to something in the 650-700m/s range and put it where it hurts, and you can�t go wrong.
/Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
My host want me to take the 15gram vulkans as he feels the Noslers damage too much meat. I thought I would check with Norma who said even if I hit the shoulder on a big bull (here's hoping) they would do the job well. I made noises about no cannelure or bonding and they said it was a strong jacket. They also asked what I was comparing them against. I said the 18.5 gram Nosler Partition and they said 'Oh that damages a lot of meat because the front partition is so soft'

So my choice has to an extent been made for me.

<Made in Sweden>
posted
Sounds like a wise choice, and as I said. Any bullet in that caliber will kill a moose.
Have a nice stay in Sweden, and if there�s anything I can help you with please let me know (I live in Sweden, you know)
/Peter

<jeremy w>
posted
European hunters,

You guys seem to take what you have and make the best of it. I live in Wyoming, U.S.A.. The least populated state in the nation. Most of our hunters don't even know what bullet they are currently using. For hunters as well versed as yourselves
I tip my hat. If you ever get the urge to hunt "american" elk send me e-mail. I would be willing to bring you hunting with me if you could transport yourself to Wyoming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll be taking a large bottle of Scotch.

Don't.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm agree with you BBBruce, bring a bottle of XO Cognac instead!!
I've not read what all the others have wrote about your bullet choice, but here's mine.
Just use Norma "Oryx" if you can get hold of any. I saw that you had some "Vulkan" bullets there, but that is a much poorer bullet than the 15g. Oryx. A buddie of mine uses nothing else on these animals. And he have tryed theme all, during his 25 years of hunting alg. As a matter of fact; the whole team of us uses Oryx.(308, 30-06, 9,3x62)
But not me, and thats because there is no Oryx bullets for my 416 Taylor. So I uses Woodleigh bullets.

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Oryx is a good bullet. I used it to get my moose this year. Very good! The onlt drawback is using store bought ammo. Since I borrowed a rifle, I bought ammo in Umea, Sweden. Holy Bankrupt, Batman! The Norma loads for the 9,3 x 62 cost me 4.00USD apiece! Eighty dollars a box! That's about 60 quid a box if my math is correct. Bring your reloads even if they are crappy.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo21:
The Oryx is a good bullet. I used it to get my moose this year. Very good! The onlt drawback is using store bought ammo. Since I borrowed a rifle, I bought ammo in Umea, Sweden. Holy Bankrupt, Batman! The Norma loads for the 9,3 x 62 cost me 4.00USD apiece! Eighty dollars a box! That's about 60 quid a box if my math is correct. Bring your reloads even if they are crappy.

You�ve got to be kidding !!! Here in Sweden the 9,3-Oryx round cost about 380 SKr and that equals about $38, with 20rounds/box that translates into something around $2/round. Don�t buy anymore from that store in Umea!!!
/Peter

<Mats>
posted
quote:
The Norma loads for the 9,3 x 62 cost me 4.00USD apiece! Eighty dollars a box!

Where the HELL did you buy those, compadre? That's way, way over the recommended price ($35/box). I can think of only one guy that could be that stoopid, they also sell fishing gear - am I right?

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bring your reloads even if they are crappy.

Hey less of the fighting talk Anyhow they sure are accurate. I shot a fox last night at 90 yards - texas heart style but very humane. I also did a copy of Saeeds freezer test, velocities after the afternoon in the ice box were negligably down (within the spread of the non frozen rounds) and POI unchanged. Providing the bullet works I'll stick with mine!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, now that you mention it there may have been some fishing sticks there. Anyway, from here on out it's comparative shopping in Umea.

<PCH>
posted
So, how did it go? Did you see any �lg?

<JOHAN>
posted
Well, talk about beeing shagged really bad, were the cases gold plated?

1894 Tell us, did you.....got any close combat with �LG. Tell us all about it... don't keep us in the cold.

[This message has been edited by JOHAN (edited 12-10-2001).]