New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whos hunting muleys this year?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not going mule deer hunting this year, haven't booked a hunt and can't or won't afford Mexican prices but there certainly are some great mule deer withing 30 to 45 minutes drive of Odessa/Midland.

To repeat myself publicly, I certainly appreciate Drummond sharing his knowledge about mule deer with me. Good luck on your hunts this year, buddy.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:

Wasnt trying to piss in your Cheerios bud but your dead wrong. I was trying to be politically correct when trying to correct you but I guess that doesnt work.

Andrews, TX is only 34 miles(north) from Odessa and some of the very best deer in the state live within spitting distance of Andrews. The old state record came from Yoakum County(farther north) and was killed by a guy named Pat Beard. I believe that was in 1997 but am not 100% on that. There are quite a number of counties in the panhandle that have seasons. Nuts and bolts, I have seen muleys in and around Midland/Odessa, within 20 minutes of Lubbock, all up and down the NM/TX line and have even seen muleys within 10 minutes of the Oklahoma border in 2 seperate locations, up near the OK panhandle and over on the eastern side of the panhandle north of Childress. Their range is quite extensive.

If you still think that I'm blowing smoke up your ass then help me understand why the state of Texas would have a specific season in both Midland and Ector Counties if in fact there are no mule deer there? Have a good one...

Drum

quote:
The rub here is what you call West Texas! West Texas starts al the Midland/Odessa,but the muledeer country doesn't start for another 100 miles west. The area on west to El Paso, the western most city in Texas, with some muledeer habatat along the western edge of the panhandle,North to south, along the Texas/New Mexico border. All the mountain areas, starting with the Davis mountains, in this section of Texas, got flooding rains, and the landscape is GREEN!

DRUM, calm down! If you will go back, and read my post for comprehention,(Quoted above) you will see that all the areas you discribe as haveing MULEDEER, are the ones I posted as well, except for the Oklahoma part. The only place I disagreed with you was the area in a roughly fifty mile circle around MDLAND/ODESSA haveing enough MULEDEER to justify traveling all the way from Switzerland to hunt Mule deer. I still say the bulk of the Muledeer habitat starts 100 miles west of Midland, and a fifty mile wide strip along the border of Texas/ New Mexico,on the Texas side, north to the top of Texas. (Andrews being in that 50 mile wide strip along the Tx/NM border, and Yoakum county is another 100 mile farther North, and right on the TX/NM line.)and that goes right along with what I posted! Then a line from the corner of the southeastern border of New Mexico in a south/easterly dirrection, including the Davis mountains down to the border with Mexico,from there on west. I'm sure there are muledeer in small pockets other than that, but that is the bulk of the Texas muledeer range. That is all I was saying, but maybe I don't write clearly enough to make myself clear, or it could be you don't read well enough to get my meaning. Either way, it is a misunderstanding.

Simply because the TPWL has a season on them in that area, doesn't mean the population is adiquate, for a flight half way around the world to hunt them. TPWL used to list open season on black bear in Brown, and Coleman counties,(central Texas) in the old TPWL proclamations, and there hasn't been a black bear in that country since the late 1800s, if then. Of course today is different, and black bear are protected in Texas, so the seasons do reflect populations better today, I'll give you that. That was 40 yrs ago, admittedly, but they used to put open seasons on things, in cattle country that didn't live there, so they could be kept out, at the request of cattle ranchers.

I didn't set out to make folks mess their collective pants, but it seems that is the way it turned out, in your case anyway! Mr. Lendsey, please accept my apology if I got on your nerves, and somehow crossed the line here by haveing an opinion on your MULEDEER hunting area, but I still don't think that area has enough of a population, in a 50 mile circle around Midland/Odessa,to justify flying all the way from Switzerland, in hopes of seeing a lot of shootable muledeer, when there are far better places for that persuit! The high prices for hunting in Texas doesn't always indicate the real value recieved.

I seem to remember a very heated debate between you, and Ray Atkinson, where you both made some very slanderous statements to each other,and almost ended in court, based on nothing more than opposite opinions. With Ray thinking you were getting into his business, and you thinking you had the right to get into his business! I believe that is what we have here, a difference of opinion, nothing more, but if I stumbled into your business, then I'm gone, do your thing!

SOooooooooooooo That said,I'll leave you to your rat killing, and go elsewhere! BYE! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The truth, which Drummond told about Ray's Flag Ranch hunt, is an absolute defense to a slander charge.

The only liar in the pair, if there was one, certainly was not Drummond Lindsey. How do I know.....well, I hunted the Flag Ranch based on what Ray posted, booked through Ray. His posts were, to say the least, not totally accurate and his characterizations of Drummond were legally actionable IMO. This is not to knock the Flag Ranch, I might hunt there again, when you take into account price, etc. It has some excellent mule deer ABOUT 30 miles from Odessa.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote