Tools

338 Ultra Mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
[It] pushed out a 300 grain Nosler partition at 2800 fps. I would compare the recoil to a 300 Winchester with 180 grain bullets at 2900 fps.

Mbogo,

What down range energies are you talking?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
Basically, the .338RUM is nearly identical to the old ABE EXPRESS. I found this cartridge in a book on wildcats along with a series of starting loads. Can't remember the name of the book. In my case, I obtained good hunting accuracy i.e. <1.5 inches at 100yrds with either Nosler 200gr BT or 210gr partitions over about 95-99grs of RL-22 which went over 3300fps,nearly 3400 FPS with only moderate signs of pressure ( flattened primers, but no ejector marks or sticky bolt lift). I was really after 250 gr loads and found the best accuracy in my guns with the Sierra HPBT and Lapua Scenar bullets. Interestingly, at one point I made two barrels both 28 inches long one made in ChromeMoly(shilen) and the other in Stainless Steel (Shilen)using the same reamer and lathe set-up. The ChromeMoly barrel demonstrated poorer accuracy and Much Much more copper fouling as compared to the SS barrel even after a thorough break-in.. I don't know why, but in .338, I've seen this phenomenon more than once ( this caliber seems to copper foul more than others). Velocities were identical and since this was a switch barrel gun other variables were eliminated. Nevertheless, in my opinion in .338 SS barrels are the way to go and 28-30 inches seem optimum for the .338 RUM. As far as recoil goes, I did not put brakes on these rifles due to the long barrel length and they really don't need them. They Kick but it's far from painful. The use of a P14 action to build one of these on should be fine although to my mind a Rem 700 is really the way to go. However, for comforts sake I'd get the weight of the gun up or put on a good muzzle brake if you are going to shoot it from the bench alot. For hunting I'd keep it light as you will never notice the recoil.-Rob

here is the data on the ABE Exp.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Guy>
posted
BearClaw, many thanks for posting the 338 ABE Express data. I have lost my copy, you have really come through.

Thanks, I owe you.

guy