New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man shocked after pokeing dead bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
LIVINGSTON — Authorities say a bow hunter suffered serious injuries from an electric shock when he poked a dead bear lying on live wires.

The Park County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Monday that Edward Garcia came across the bear carcass Sunday in the Beattie Gulch area north of Gardiner.

Garcia was shocked when he poked the carcass with a knife, suffering injuries to his torso, head and hands.

The sheriff's office says Garcia walked two miles to find help. He was flown to a burn center in Salt Lake City.

Garcia's condition was not immediately clear on Monday. Sheriff's Office Lt. Tom Totland said that he does not know where Garcia is from.

The sheriff's office says NorthWestern Energy has turned off power to the line.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the line fell and the bear was killed by it. Strange turn of events.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
My guess is that the line fell and the bear was killed by it. Strange turn of events.

rotflmo

Thats damm funny

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
Thats why I poke dead things with wood sticks, exactly for that reason, wood doesent conduct electricity well.

Next time I bet he pokes dead things with sticks or rubber tires.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Don't go pokin things, you just could get all burned-up. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cureosity killed the cat.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That guy must have wanted a bear skin rug really bad! Big Grin

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Yes but on the puls side the guy now has the anecdote to beat all anecdote around the camp fire! Big Grin

Ought he have noticed the power line? bewildered Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
He must have been really stupid or else trying for the Darwin award. There has to be more to the story.

A distribution line carries, at a minimum, 7200 volts (phase to ground). At that voltage there would have been unmistakable sight, sound and smell clues that the bear carcass was "hot." Who in their right mind would stick a knife in a smoking, buzzing bruin? For that matter, what kind of idiot would just walk up and stick a knife into any critter that they come across? Before touching any carcass I'd like to at least have an idea of what killed it and when.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard via the grapevine that the bear had crawled into an underground primary vault and was electrocuted,possibly chewing on the cable, and with half it's body hanging out of the underground vault, which is what the hunter poked with the knife. The voltage was reported as 7200, which would be phase to ground.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote