New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions for new hunting parka?
 Login/Join

<duckster>
posted
I am going on a hunt in NW Alberta in the last week of October this year. I am in need of a new hunting parka. Anyone have any opinions or experience with Cabela's Revolution Fleece Dry Plus vs. Cabela's MT050? My other consideration is the waterproof wool parka and pants sold by Cabela's. Will the fleece and wool hold and retain too much water, even though they are waterproof? Any experiences appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got lots of Cabela's products. They work, but there are much better clothing products out there. I learned that from JJHack. He pointed out that the mountaineering crowd has demanded and recieved far more efficient clothing than the hunting crowd ever recieved.
He, JJ, had discovered that North Face made far better foul weather clothing than anything every made by Cabela's. I must agree.
I have another friend, JimF, who is an avid back pack hunter, and has worked in the outdoors recreation field his whole life. Same answer.
I've found that Patagonia, who is not at all "pro hunter", has as good as anything I've ever used or heard of. Their clothing is lighter, packs in a smaller space, and above all will keep you dry.
It'the keeping you dry that is the hangup. Lots of people make clothing that will keep you warm. That's not a problem. Staying dry, to prevent chilling from "the inner storm" when you slow down is. I've used Eddie Bauer's stuff back when they were real outdoor clothing makers. I've used LL Beans stuff. I've used Cabela's. I still use some of the above. But now, when I need something that will give me the wide range of performance I demand w/o weighing me down with literally pounds of extra clothing, I use Patagonia's gear.
I hike and hunt the year round where I live. I snow shoe a fair amount in winter. Wearing their gear I've never been chilled. With all the others, sooner or later, even peeling and adding clothing as best I could, I've been chilled.
Their clothing transfers moisture like nothing I've ever experienced. That's the reason why it's worth the cost. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<SkiBumplus3>
posted
I dont have experience with the exact jackets you listed but they are all about the same and the requirements for cold weather hunting are simple. You need a jacket with a removable liner, windproof outer shell and waterproof liner. If you will be sitting in a stand all day then you should have a jacket with a down or heavy flannel liner. Still hunting would require a jacket with a thinner liner. Remember, sweat will kill you in the cold. Boots and pants are chosen with the same criteria in mind.

Stay dry and have fun,

Ski+3

one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to buy a "quiet" hooded waterproof shell with plenty of room and about three or four layers of fleece to go under it. Take one good down jacket to wear around camp and as insurance against freaky cold weather. Take a neck gaitor and a radar cap. I've worn ski masks with a "visor" under a parka hood for cold wet weather. Works great. And I've also cut the top out of ski masks to enable me to wear my favorite hat; and it can then be rolled down and used as a gaitor, too.

[ 08-29-2003, 08:20: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<PostDriver>
posted
Take a look at www.riverswest.com . They make the H2P fleece, and it's darn good stuff. Small company that listens to it's customers.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Duckster,

I have the Browning Hydro-Suede 4 in 1. It has been Caribou hunting twice, with snow and pouring rain on both trips. With the down and fleece liner, you can't go wrong. It is the most water proof garmet I have ever owned!

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
Try Raven Wear out of Alberta Canada. Dennis and Sauan Hindbo developed this line of hunting clothing for cold weather stand hunting. It is the best I have tried. Better yet it is custom made to your exact size, not mass produced.

They do have a website. Type in Dennis and Susan Hindbo into google and it will come up......Chainsaw

<duckster>
posted
I will have to take a look at that site. Thanks.